PDA

View Full Version : Yatta-Yatta-Yatta.net

matrix_fan
05-09-2003, 08:18 PM
i just got this website. Can anyone give me some pointers??? I think i really need some!!!

PY 222
05-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Just got to your site but here is what it says!

Site Temporarily Disabled
This site has been temporarily disabled because it has exceeded its allocated data transfer (bandwidth).

Please try again later.

I will try again soon!

matrix_fan
05-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Actualy, you have went to my OLD website( yatta-yatta.net) My new website that i need suggestions and stuff on is here: http://www.yatta-yatta-yatta.net

Dyyryath
05-10-2003, 02:54 PM
What kind of pointers were you looking for, exactly? I'd start by saying drop the frames. :D

Beyond that...well, what are you attempting to do?

magnav0x
05-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Read some tutorials on SQL/PHP :cheers:

PY 222
05-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Got to agree with Dyy, drop the frames!

Use either SSI or PHP to control your content.

matrix_fan
05-13-2003, 07:41 PM
i don'nt know a BIT about php or ssi!!!!!I barely even know html!!!( i have macromedia dreamweaver!)

PY 222
05-13-2003, 11:02 PM
Macromedia Dreamweaver is an excellent program but has a steeper learning curve. Eventually I am sure you will be able to get your site up and running.

So, what kind of content are you going to put on your site? I see that there is a DC forum, so I guess you are going for DC News, stats and etc right.

Take Free-DC as a guide because its one of the best on the Net.

Good luck again! :thumbs:

matrix_fan
05-15-2003, 05:16 PM
I plan to have maybe some stats, a DCing team, a webprotal, a cheat page(pc games ect.) ... I don't know exactly. Hopefully something that peopel like. I also plan to make a FREE PAGE which wil give people links to free stuff!

matrix_fan
05-15-2003, 05:21 PM
I PLAN to get a webmaste rto do my site once and then i do the upkeep. Just it's so esxpensive and i'm just a kiD! so i hope to run into soemonw which will help me fo rFREE which will most likely NOT happen!

PY 222
05-15-2003, 07:25 PM
One of the easiest way to create a site is to use a portal system such as PHP-Nuke.

http://www.phpnuke.org/index.php

Check out the site and see if it suits your needs.

matrix_fan
05-15-2003, 08:58 PM
actualy, ya it would almost soot me but..no..... I would like one liek this one at this site: www.gaminunderground.com though i don't know what it uses and if i did(which i i think i do i don't know how to set it up( i'm only 12). Anyways, for now... I have learned macromedia a little better, i know how to make a active image changing navigation bar, should i keep the frames and make the NICE navigation bar ? Here is a ver ALPHA version of what i am talkign about: http://www.yatta-yatta-yatta.net/index.php

rshepard
05-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Another "pre-built" system you might want to look at it is e107
http://e107.org
I've never used it, but I know a number of people have used it as a starting point

matrix_fan
05-15-2003, 10:46 PM
i have emplimented the first of many upgrades... The navigation bar looks ALOT better to me,everyone tell me what YOU think: www.yatta-yatta-yatta.net
thanks for the 107.org link, looks mor eof what i was aiming for, maybe i will test it tomorrow. Thanks everyone for youe help so far. Though i STILL need help and hope ya'll ALL willhelp me :D and giv eme suggestions. Thanks

PY 222
05-17-2003, 04:05 AM
Looking good there :thumbs:

At least you are learning some JavaScript rollover and some simple graphics. A comment, I really don't think the font would fly. I am thinking that this is just a starting design right?

Overall, you are doing good progress. Keep it up!

matrix_fan
05-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Ya, only testign stages, infact i might just have to make a TestPAGe or BETA Page for my site :D. What font would be good to change to? The white, and black is ok i think? Thanks, Webmaster_Trent

matrix_fan
05-17-2003, 07:46 PM
BETA PAGE MADE!!!! If you would like to help me test and develop my site, go to www.yatta-yatta-yatta.net/BETA . Thansk, Webmaster_Trent

***NEW*** My BETA portal which we are currently testign for bugs is up and running! If you would like to test it go here: www.yatta-yatta-yatta.net/BETA/portal

Dyyryath
05-17-2003, 11:41 PM
How can you not enjoy helping someone who is so obviously excited about web design? :)

Here's a couple of things for you, in no particular order:

Pick a good background color. It's the basis for everything else that you will do. In my experience, you should go with one extreme or the other here. Either a really light (white, light grey) or really dark (black, dark blue, etc). Things in between tend to be hard on the eyes and can be a problem finding other colors that work well with them. I think your blue is a little too bright.
Pick good colors to go with the background. This is the second half of the first point. I rarely do anything before I've settled on a 'color scheme'. I always have this pretty much nailed down before I write any HTML or do any layout work.
Decide what your going to put in it. This is the next step for me. Design/layout should always be driven by the content itself. Trying to shoehorn content into a design that doesn't fit it is always a mistake, no matter how cool the design is.
Choose a font style & stick with it. This doesn't mean a font family, but rather serif or sans-serif. I may use several different fonts on one site, but I generally try to keep them all one or the other. To me, sans-serif fonts just look better on the web. Serif is fine for print work, but I think sans-serif looks cleaner on a web page.
Pick a target browser level. This is another thing I try to do before I start coding anything. Am I going to write in all HTML? CSS Level 1? CSS Level 2? I generally pick one depending on content & who's going to be using it and then try to stick with it all the way along. For example, if I've decided to use all HTML, you won't really see any CSS tags. If I want to change font size, I'd use <font size="+1"></font> or something similar. If I was going to use CSS, you'd never see a font tag, but rather some like style="font-size: 12px;" instead.
Use includes for recurring design pieces if available. If the hosting site you are using allows Server Side Includes, it can be really helpful to make things like navigation an include that appears on each page. This way, if you need to change it, it only has to be done in one place.

I'll be interested to see how your site comes along! :thumbs:

matrix_fan
05-18-2003, 12:57 PM
I'll ask if the have Server side thingie. Though, i am still using frames and i link all of my subdomains index.html neavigation bar to the MAIn one, so i only have to edit that one ;D