PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed..

DennisTan
05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

I have just downloaded the client not long ago and my XP machine have been crunching. Recently, I added the client to my Linux box, and it too, have been crunching faithfully.

However, I have the following questions.

1. I have a whole bunch of 'protien' files lying in my dstrubfold folder in my XP machine. I believe these are the 'results'. However, the client and log file relect that there are no problem in the uploading cycle. Aren't the file deleted automatically when they have been uploaded?

2. I have seen some threads regarding the 'failed' upload on Linux boxes and seems to me, its happening to me too. I am using Redhat 9.0. The box have no problem accessing the net and I get error in uploading even after switching to an alternate HTTP Proxy. How can I solve the problem as the protein files are choking up my small drive on my Linux box.. :(

Much appreciated for any help. Sorry for the lengthy post. :o

DennisTan
05-28-2003, 10:53 AM
Just thought that I'll post an extract of my error.log file for my Linux Box.

========================[ May 28, 2003 8:03 PM ]========================
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 1195} Wed May 28 20:03:59 2003
Unable to check server status
ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 4634} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER
ERROR: [010.003] {taskapi.c, line 1199} [ReadServerResponse] Timeout waiting for response, got 0 chars.
ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite.c, line 3691} Error during upload: NO RESPONSE FROM SERVER - WILL TRY AGAIN LATER

wirthi
05-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Everytime you kill DF, it will lose unfinished (and not yet uploaded) buffers. So, quite likely these files are just remnants of such unfriendly shutdowns (closing the window on windows, crashes, etc.) If that's the case you can delete those files. Just be sure not to delete any valid files (so, be sure to upload first).

Of course it could be a bug in the client too. Anybody else an idea?

cygnussphere
05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
The only time I get orphand DF files on my XP boxen (9) is if they crash (rarely) or if you shut down the client buy deleting the foldtrajlite.lock file.

:cheers:

DennisTan
05-29-2003, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Seems like the only way to find out(what could be the problem) is to delete them away and see if they still appear again.

Brian the Fist
05-29-2003, 12:46 PM
The errors you posted above seem to indicate that the client is unable to contact the server. Perhaps you need to use an HTTP proxy from where you are? Are you behind any sort of firewall that you know of?

DennisTan
05-30-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
The errors you posted above seem to indicate that the client is unable to contact the server. Perhaps you need to use an HTTP proxy from where you are? Are you behind any sort of firewall that you know of?

I am using the proxy as given by my ISP; same as the one I am using for me to get to the web.

You mean the DF client is not able to connect to the server? By using the same proxy, I am able to access the web.

The box does not have any firewall, AFAIK.. (anyway to check, I am very new to Redhat)

Brian the Fist
05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
So have you set up the proxy.cfg file for the folding client (look if this file is present and contains your proxy address, port, and username and password if needed).

It is also possible your proxy is blocking the replies from our server or blocking your uploads because they contain binary data.

DennisTan
06-01-2003, 11:47 AM
So have you set up the proxy.cfg file for the folding client (look if this file is present and contains your proxy address, port, and username and password if needed).

It is also possible your proxy is blocking the replies from our server or blocking your uploads because they contain binary data.

ok. the situation is getting wierder by the days.. :o

i stopped folding only AMD rig for the weekend, leaving my Linux to do the job.(in order to check if the linux is able to upload any results) surprisingly, the linux rig managed to upload 4 buffered sets and for the first time, I see that there are ZERO buffered sets left behind.

will observe for a couple more hours ...

DennisTan
06-02-2003, 11:22 PM
its not uploading again..

now I am stuck with 6 buffered sets.. :shocked:

Brian the Fist
06-03-2003, 10:44 AM
It would help if you answered my questions instead of ignoring them.. :haddock:

DennisTan
06-05-2003, 11:06 AM
It would help if you answered my questions instead of ignoring them.. :haddock:

ermm.. Sorry about that. I was under the impression that I have answered them. :o

I am from Singapore and my ISP is Pacific Internet. The http proxy given to me is proxy.pacific.net.sg:8080. No username/password is required. I have entered that into my proxy.cfg file and it looks like this

proxy.pacific.net.sg

I have also disabled the firewall of Redhat.

How can I find out if my proxy is blocking the replies or the uploads?

Brian the Fist
06-05-2003, 11:54 AM
That proxy.cfg looks right so in all likelihood it is getting blocked. If you want to know for sure, you may check with a packet sniffer to watch the packets going into and out of your machine. (e.g. snort for Linux, or ethereal, IRIS, etc). Most of these are free downloads (at least trial versions). I do not know why some proxies block the replies or I would fix it of course...

DennisTan
06-05-2003, 11:55 AM
That proxy.cfg looks right so in all likelihood it is getting blocked. If you want to know for sure, you may check with a packet sniffer to watch the packets going into and out of your machine. (e.g. snort for Linux, or ethereal, IRIS, etc). Most of these are free downloads (at least trial versions). I do not know why some proxies block the replies or I would fix it of course...

Thanks.