PDA

View Full Version : Evil thought...

outlnder
02-23-2002, 05:42 AM
Hi all, lately I've been having this evil thought...

"Why am I doing this??"

In the last 5 years, I've spent quite a bit of change buying, building, rebuilding and upgrading 3 to 20 computers. All of them are 24/7 DC machines. With power bills well over $100 and hardware beginning to fail, I am seriously thinking of discontinuing this hobby.

I am asking you folks to help me find that spark that got me into this stuff.

So, tell me why you are doing it.

Thanks

Alpha_7
02-23-2002, 09:41 AM
Its one of the first thing any would be recruits asks.. and still now its hard to express what drives me to such obsessive ends. I like the ideal, that many computers although weak, unimpressive and inexpensive (relatively) can work together to acheive a comman goal or purpose, one which may usually be require a supercomputer or many mainframe hours to calculate and crunch the numbers.

Secondly it goes towards our competitive nature, we like to feel we are contributing, that we are competiting team against team, individual against indivdual. This competitive nature is partially what feeds the upgrading frenzy which is seen year round, as people strive to have the better system, the faster CPU, more RAM... it goes on.. but this is very similar to the fiearce competition between some teams, and individuals that feel this must be better, or very must improve their output or general contribution.

On top of this, and far more importantly its a way in which we are united, as a community, a global conglomerate of cultures, countrys beliefs. We run different systems, OSes even different projects yet, we can met and chat and enjoy fun rivals in the form of gauntlets, feel the sense of acheivement when on works hard to reach a goal, and gain the respect and confidence of a group which judge you on a totally different level to those in what some call the real world. Here ones physical appearance, age, occupation is irrelevant, instead we measure ourselves and each other but how knowledge and our willingness to help others understand, its this willingness to help others and encourage their growth that ultimatly leads to self growth and the courage to be oneself. This affect is not only seen online, in this gloabal DC community, but it evades our lifes is "real life", maybe only the assute may notice but the growth is there.

Alpha_7
02-23-2002, 09:44 AM
I must explain I've had no sleep been lanning all day..
been depressed and then elated that firstly I couldn't send and recieve seti units and now that I can get them.. and that I have another machine to the farm, and that it is faster then the others..

but that unforutanately it has a corrupted bios..
I'm trying to fix that now.. (can't find a disk I can format...)

oh the humanity.. but well I hope u liked my little rant it may be over the top.. but there could be some truth to it all..
I'll read it when I'm sane :)

Later People :)

Paratima
02-23-2002, 11:26 AM
What Alpha_7 said...

Plus being part of something bigger than yourself. Which includes some things that may not bear fruit for many years, but someday...

Plus the challenge to have the most efficient system(s) possible.

Plus it's FUN! :D I love coming home to see how many WU's I've racked up while I was off doing other stuff.

Paratima
02-23-2002, 12:08 PM
Not to mention stimulating the economy! :p

IronBits
02-23-2002, 12:23 PM
At first, it's the personal challenge to see just how many computers you can get working all at the same time.

Then comes the challenge of trying to keep the suckers running, as you tweak them into submission and make them scream.

Then there is this thing called 'penis envy', as one of my old girl friends used to call it. Some say it's the one with the most toys... :)

Then comes the hardest part of all, keeping all that hardware going when you are absolutely exhausted, burned out, broke and wondering why you are still doing this after you have proven to yourself and everyone else, beyond a shadow of doubt, you da man! :D

When you need to take a break, do so. Don't fret over the one or three boxen that decide to stop working when you are not looking. After all, that's why you have soooo many in the first place right? To keep the numbers up, even when a couple go down ;)
Just check em every week or so... Go have a few beers and jump off a few bridges to bring life back into focus :D

Don't give up Outlnder - I am down to 6 1.4 AMD rigs because of the electricity costs here. My bill was over $350, now it's about $150... that's where I drew my line.

I will miss you old friend if you decide to pull the plug. I hope you at least leave a few running, and if you do off them, sell them to the youngsters for a good price... pass on the seed, or desease, depending on how you look at it ;)

Whatever you decide to do, I appreciate all you have done, the few races we had that made it more fun for awhile, answering the challenge in our darkest hour when another team tried to over take us in one of the projects (now that was FUN!), and the thankless hours of precious life you have given to society, that only you will really know, but, most of us in the Distributed Community have at least a clue what it takes to be at the top, or close to it anyways :D.

ColinT
02-23-2002, 01:12 PM
Outlnder:

Remember one thing.

It was in late 1999 I think. You and I were SO even neither could pull away. When I built a new box, so did you. I would do ANYTHING to stay up with you. Eventually we had massive farms. This lasted a LONG time. It was the most fun I have ever had in DC.

It was the simple fun of pure competition. It still drives me today.

Now, 2 years later, my farm has shrunk, but I am still having fun with the reduced horsepower.

You've been a good friend and a tough competitor. That counts for a lot.

FoBoT
02-24-2002, 12:51 AM
my father-in-law died of ALS , (Lou Gehrig's Disease) in 1990, two years after i married my wife

some of these medical projects might in some way help find the causes/cures for it one day

IronBits
02-24-2002, 05:30 AM
Yes, then there is the medical part, which is the most important of all. My older brother who was 6 years older than I, died of diabetes and cancer when he was only 43, and I an 50 now. Then my brother-in-law died of cancer just a couple of months ago at age 47...

relic
02-25-2002, 12:06 PM
many motivations...

. friendly competition
. common interest with my loved ones
. civic responsibility
. moral responsibility
. my personal philosophical need to "make a positive difference" no matter how insignificant my contributions may be.
. I like geeky stuff
. belonging to a group of drastically different individuals with widely varied political and social values that respects each other despite those differences.

I admit to my interest waxing and waning. During times when I feel disinterested I rely on the humanitarian aspect of the projects I chose to bolster my enthusiasm.

. During troubled personal times I can look upon my accomplishments (DC and others) and draw strength from them.

Regards,
relic

conan
02-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Well said Relic.

mr_mann
02-25-2002, 04:12 PM
relic hit the nail right on the head!

ulv
02-25-2002, 04:47 PM
relic- you are expressing what I've been thinking, but could not write- thank you.

outlnder: I just passed you in G@H:)