PDA

View Full Version : A Question

Lady_of_the_Lake
06-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi I saw this when I was seraching for a new project for my crunchers maybe one of you could answer it for me ...

I saw that folding can be run on a Sony PS2 ??? Does anyone have any idea how it works ??... The reason I'm asking is I'm a marketing Rep and one of the lines I handle is Sony PS2...
Oh and just so you know I have real computers 9 of them to be excact *L* all crunching for TSC at the moment

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me

Scoofy12
06-06-2003, 09:41 AM
There is a build for Sony's PS2 distro of linux, available here. (http://www.distributedfolding.org/Download.html) Note that this is for Linux, which requires you to purchase the linux kit from sony (ie its not just like a game you can play on any old PS2). As I recall however, the performance results were somewhat disappointing.

Lady_of_the_Lake
06-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info .... we were just wondering . not that we actually planned to test out crunching on a ps2 *L*

runestar
06-10-2003, 06:05 PM
One of the members of the Project Blue Book SETI group is actually installing Linux on his PS2 currently if you are interested in seeing how this goes. Last I heard they were finally successful and were planning to test the SETI@home client soon. Although its a different project, it should give you an idea of how that sort of things go.

If I remember correctly, I think the performance issues had to with the Linux compilation and not necessarily the system itself, but I'd need to check on that.

Best,

RS

Brian the Fist
06-11-2003, 01:38 PM
The performance problems stem from the fact that PS2 uses a 296 MHz Mips processor. Not exactly a blazing speed demon by today's standards. IF you take the time and effort to vectorize your code and take advantage of its special abilities, you can at best squeeze out the performance of a 600MHz P3 from it or so I've heard.

Game machines truly are optimized for playing games it seems..

FoBoT
06-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist

Game machines truly are optimized for playing games it seems..

:shocked:

;)

runestar
06-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
Game machines truly are optimized for playing games it seems.. Well, okay, how about DF: The Game then, Howard? =) Maybe a strategy game where you have to build a distributed computing project with little funds and keep people interested in running it...

Only difference from real life... CHEAT CODES! Need a million dollars, not a problem! ^_^

RS