PDA

View Full Version : need freeBSD guru in Toronto

FoBoT
02-27-2002, 02:39 PM
howard is willing to make a freeBSD client if he has a freeBSD boxen to compile/test it on.

i have offered to donate such a boxen to the cause

i know enough about freeBSD to do a basic install, but i have no idea how to configure it "the right way" for compiling stuff

i need a person to help , preferably in Toronto, to take the boxen to DF/Howard and give him some basics on FreeBSD, he uses linux extensively, so mostly , he needs somebody to point out the main differences etc

i have a friend in toronto that i am going to ask to build the boxen, after i send him the parts, or i might buy the parts from a big time hardware trader dude i know that lives in toronto, so that part is covered

what i need is a volunteer to do the above stuff to finish the deal

anybody know somebody? anybody hang on any freeBSD boards where they could ask for a volunteer?

more OS coverage for the project is a Good Thing, right? ;)

pointwood
02-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Go ask on the Ars Technica board!

I'm sure we should be able to find a FreeBSD guru somewhere in that area :)

IronBits
02-28-2002, 08:23 PM
Good suggestion Pointwood. That and might give HOCP a try.
Don't forget to bring the information back here tho :)

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 02:16 AM
i got a hardware guy from anandtech with a decent boxen i might buy for this (it would save shipping cost, plus the possible custom charges, marking a whole PC as - Gift $20 may not fly :rolleyes: )

i'll try all the big DC team forums, thanks

i also have tracked down a couple of freeBSD forums i can post at

pointwood
03-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Status update?

How is it going in regards to this FreeBSD machine to Howard?

FoBoT
03-11-2002, 09:25 AM
i have a guy in toronto with a pII-233 pc pretty much ready to go, he is willing to deliver it

he is even willing to install freeBSD, but i am concerned that the box won't be configured correctly for compiling programs

that is why i would prefer that my hardware guy deliver it to a person that is familiar with freeBSD, so that the installation/ configuration is working for howard

i have been so busy at home/work i haven't been able to post for help with this much, i guess i need to go to the boards for the big teams, and see if i can hit the jackpot there

IronBits
03-11-2002, 11:38 AM
We appreciate you sharing and starting your journey here.
Just be sure to come back with the 'goods' for the next unfortunate sole. ;)
Good luck!

pointwood
03-12-2002, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the update FoBoT and thanks for making this happen - I know Ancala is waiting for that FreeBSD client :)

FoBoT
03-12-2002, 02:03 PM
i might have to just kidnap somebody and drive them up there myself :rolleyes:

i know a kid in indiana that could probably do it, but his parents probably would call the police :eek:

MAD-ness
03-17-2002, 04:29 PM
You have no idea how much your last post amused me FoBot. :)

FoBoT
03-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by MAD-ness
You have no idea how much your last post amused me FoBot. :)

o really?
are you tired? ;)

do you need some sleep? ;)

magnav0x
03-18-2002, 12:39 AM
Well if you ever need someone that can crash a freebsd with the best of em look me up :rolleyes:

MAD-ness
03-18-2002, 12:45 AM
"i know a kid in indiana that could probably do it, but his parents probably would call the police "

It is just funny on so many different levels, I don't know where to start.

dnar
03-18-2002, 06:39 AM
EOC_Jason over at http://forum.thegenomecollective.com is a true blue BSD guru. I am sure he could sort something, or maybe he knows someone in Canada.

Paratima
03-18-2002, 07:06 AM
Does anyone actually live in Canada? I've heard stories, but...

pointwood
03-18-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
Does anyone actually live in Canada? I've heard stories, but... I can positively confirm that there are people living in Canada - I've been there and I saw several :p :D