PDA

View Full Version : Hardware updates

Bok
03-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Full backup redundancy :) But that's not going to happen!

Realistically, it's hard to tell. If a mobo fails, then it needs replacing, simple as that. I do need to beef up my backup plans a bit. They are about 95% good, but again need some redudancy.

I'm working on a list of components I need though, not necessarily for prevention but also to beef things up a little.

List in decreasing priority

1. 32Gb Ram for the DB server.
2. 1x120Gb SSD. I'm going to put a dedicated SSD in the webserver and replicate the database to that, this way if the db server goes down, the website will continue (though data will remain static until fixed). I've been testing the replication a bit today and it's fast.
3. 2x120Gb SSD's as backups in the database server.
4. External 1Tb or 1.5Tb drive for extra backups.
5. PSU replacements
6. Another gigabit switch dedicated between the boxes as they all have 2gigabit ports and I could route traffic directly between them.
7. Redundant webserver (rsync to it daily and failover if needed)
8. Redundant database server (much more difficult, possibly in a master-master mysql config)

1+2 are high priorities for me (I'd shift some of the memory from the current db server into the webserver after getting 1), 3 is pretty much up there too. 4 would be useful but not critical at this stage, same as 5+6. 7+8 are not too practical, just dreams :)

I've got about $410 in donations sitting in my paypal account right now which will just about pay for ~ 1+2 1=$239, 2=($139 low end to $199 for the intel 520).

So, all in all looking pretty good I think. It's definitely quite a bit faster. Had a nasty mysql misconfiguration that I've just fixed which was causing some of the threads to timeout in the stats updates. was only set to the minimum 30 seconds and considering some of the updates take 100+ seconds, it breaks the connection in the script. So there might be some data oddities, they'll fix in the next few cycles though.

Bok
03-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Quick update on this.

I've ordered 1+4 (32Gb Ram + 2Tb USB 3.0 External drive for backups) at a cost of $341 from Newegg. The other SSD which failed seems to be running just fine right now and I've almost finished coding the updates to replicate the stats database to the webserver, so I want to see how that goes before getting another SSD. Still have $118 left in my paypal account.