PDA

View Full Version : BeOS client net problem

Chinasaur
06-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Using either an old DF client and attempting an update..or the new downloaded client...I get this message -

Checking for newer versions...
MAIN SERVER IS DOWN FOR PROTEIN CHANGEOVER

Any thoughts? Something on the server need to be tweaked?

Brian the Fist
06-20-2003, 12:38 PM
The server has been down off and on so this is probably not an error.

Chinasaur
06-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Howard,

Tried again today..and many times this weekend...the server been down all that time? Same error message....Protein changeover...

The Linux client starts up .. BeOS won't.

Just an observation.

Brian the Fist
07-02-2003, 02:19 AM
The network library has been updated since the last version, and it is possible it no longer works on BeOS. I will check it when I get the chance but it may be the case that we'll have to discontinue BeOS support as the networking API on it has continually been a problem for us. (It is missing many POSIX symbols)

Chinasaur
07-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Howard,

Just tried again before I saw you has posted.

When Zeta from YellowTab.com comes out, if I sent you a copy would you do the support? Or are there just not enough Be users to justify the work?

Brian the Fist
07-20-2003, 12:33 PM
I tested the BeOS version on our BeBox and it still seems to upload OK, so should be working. You are probably our only BeOS user :rotfl: Anyways, no idea what Zeta is but if its something for only BeOS then its not likely...

Chaser
07-20-2003, 12:38 PM
on the distributedfolding.org page you could build up a download counter for the beos client. so you could determine how many users you have :cool: :cool:

Chinasaur
07-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Well damn...it sits there and doesn't talk..maybe it's the router. It won't even authenticate on initial startup where it checks for new version.

Would putting something in my hosts file help? I'd love to use BeOS.

Zeta is the new incarnation of BeOS. www.yellowtab.com bought rights to develop BeOS from Palm after they bought Be, Inc.

Brian the Fist
07-21-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Chinasaur

Zeta is the new incarnation of BeOS. www.yellowtab.com bought rights to develop BeOS from Palm after they bought Be, Inc.

Some things just don't know when to stay dead :sniper: :machgun: ;)

struan
07-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Chinasaur, I'm having problems with my BeOS df installation, too! You're not the only person on the planet still running BeOS (though to be honest I'm typing this on my iBook, and have mostly switched to a combo of OSX & Linux here at home).

Here's the error I'm getting upon completion of generation 0:

[foldtrajlite] FATAL ERROR: [000.000] Threads must be enabled for this software to function, please recompile
Hit Return

struan
07-24-2003, 10:15 AM
after reading about some of the issues with the windows clients, I downloaded the new version manually. It's a slightly newer version:
Wed 23 Jul 2003, 10:11:48

vs

Mon, 21 July 2003, 15:47:45
(which must have been from the auto-update fxn).

I've got an instance running right now, we'll see if that enables the client to go beyind gen0.

Chinasaur
07-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Struan,

LTNS :thumbs:

I'll get on it and download the latest and see...

BeOS will rise again :)

**Later - It may work and I'd never know it. It won't go past my router. It worked on another hardware firewall I had but not this DLink for some reason. Wish there was something I could do :(

struan
07-25-2003, 10:58 AM
The Wednesday update fixed the problem I was having. Took a while to get to gen1, but it successfully got there. Fixing the Windows problem may have inadvertently fixed the BeOS one, too!

Brian the Fist
07-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
Struan,

LTNS :thumbs:

I'll get on it and download the latest and see...

BeOS will rise again :)

**Later - It may work and I'd never know it. It won't go past my router. It worked on another hardware firewall I had but not this DLink for some reason. Wish there was something I could do :(

Just out of curiousity what is the problem with the router/network you are having, what is the error?

Chinasaur
07-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Howard,

Just sits there..then gives

"Checking for newer versions...
MAIN SERVER IS DOWN FOR PROTEIN CHANGEOVER"

I had this problem last year behind a Linksys wireless router..now I have a DLink router..same thing. I hook up my SonicWall firewall and it goes away..something to do with Be's network stack not being up to date I think..not yer problem. Was just hoping an entry in the hosts file or something would help.

And BeOS is a great OS... it shouldn't stay dead :D (I know you were kidding)

struan
07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Do you run netserver or BONE?

I've always ran netserver, and sometimes things get goofy with my linksys router when the cable modem gets a new IP lease. Seems like every 3-4 days I have to restart netserver if it won't talk to the rest of the intarweb.

BONE is a completely different story, and I'm not sure I can help. I've never installed Dano :tempted:

Chinasaur
07-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Struan,

No BONE. Just NetServer. As Linux runs DF faster than BeOS anyway, I'll stick with Knoppix till Zeta comes out and try again. If I have to I'll jury-rig the old firewall in place so it can do the handshaking DF needs.

Proj on! :)