PDA

View Full Version : Crashes running PS2 client

mackerel
06-23-2003, 05:14 PM
:help: Dunno if this is a bug or me being clueless with Linux.

Am trying to get the PS2 version running. Have gunzip'd and untar'd it. Ran foldit, entered my handle and off it went. All seemed normal but it dies hitting residude 71 of 96. This it does repeatably. Most of the time it dies going back to the shell prompt. Sometimes it says [NULL_Caption] ERROR: Caught sig 11.

I've tried downloading it twice just in case of any problems, and running both as normal user and root, no difference. The df client was installed using the default options.

Any ideas? The Linux install is the standard one as supplied. The only thing in the error log is a message about "Unable to check server status".

Stardragon
06-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, it appears as though you were trying to install the cleint just as our servers were down due to a power shutdown. We should be fully back up and running withing the next hour, so please try again - there should be nothing wrong with your actual installation.

mackerel
06-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Have retried, still getting same crashes. The failed to connect line is still appearing in error.log. I didn't suspect network problems since the client always crashes displaying 71 of 96.

One thing I did think about is the ram requirements. The readme says it need 25 MB, the PS2 with 32 MB means it could be a bit tight.

I also suspect getting signal 11 is a significant clue, if only I knew where to look it up what it is... I've used Linux/Unix on and off for 10 years and never got past newbie stage...

Brian the Fist
07-02-2003, 02:16 AM
Signal 11 is a segmentation fault - a program crash. This is likely caused by a hardware issue in this case. I am not aware if there are subtle variations between different versions of the PS2 BIOS or stuff like that which may affect software compatiblity. It has been previously tested on our PS2 and worked fine so unless this is a new bug introduced with the latest version that for some reason only occurs on PS2 (so has anyone else had this problem??) there is not much we can do for you.