PDA

View Full Version : uploading takes years

johndoe3
06-24-2003, 05:25 PM
Hi,

I have run the client the first time about a day and got 52 filesets for uploading. But for each single wu, it takes 2-3 minutes!!! I have a dial up internet connection, so each minute counts, so I cant wait 3-4 hours for 52 wus to be uploaded! Whats wrong?

Remember! I do upload units but it takes decades!!!!!

Johannes

shortfinal
06-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, (for people with slow dialup connections) there's nothing wrong. This DC (distributing computing) project generates large amounts of data that has to be returned to the server. I see about 124 KBs per WU that needs to be returned.

So, if you have a slow connection that's costing you then this DC project isn't for you.

Shortfinal

johndoe3
06-25-2003, 04:14 PM
No, that is certainly not the problem!

The problem is, it just does nothing! During 95% of the time, my connection runs idle (I see it in the status display of my internet connection). No uploading at all...

And then for 5 sec it uploads one unit ... then 3 min pause ... then 5 sec upload and so on.....

So the speed is not the issue. Somhow the server is extremely slow in processing the requests of my client. Maybe the server is totaly overloaded?! But I also tried it several times! So I have no idea!

Johannes

rshepard
06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
That almost sounds as if it's dropping the connection when the fileset is uploaded, and then re-negotiating a connection with the server for the next fileset. I wouldn't think that was the case, but it would cause the behavior you describe...:confused:

djp
06-26-2003, 01:16 PM
The server had been a little slow a few days ago, due to some considerations listed in this thread:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3351

Are you still running slowly?

johndoe3
06-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Yeah!... takes still 2-3 minutes a piece. Just silence on the side of the server!
:sleepy:

I also did ensure that nothing else is running (seti@home etc...).
With all the other dc-projects I never had those problems! And from the link you mentioned, it seems other poeple have the same problems.

Any one from the project people around whom one might ask?

Johannes

Stardragon
06-27-2003, 09:50 AM
We have not been receiving any recent reports about slow uploads after we fixed our database problem. Are you ruinning with the -it flag, or are you folding offline for a while and then uploading?
Also, as you know, things are bound to be slower with dialup.

However, the results for each generation should be about the same size as the uploads from Phase I, so at the moment I cannot see a particular reason for the slow upload. Additional information about the flags you're running with and your system would be helpful, of course.

tpdooley
06-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Do you have another machine to test the client out on? Or can you setup a clean install of the operating system and run the client again?
I've had a client that used one of the "internet connection speedup" programs and it made the internet connection crawl. (they made a few too many bad choices..)

^7_of_9
06-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Which country ar you in? Are you in a rural area or a big Metropolis? Older house or newer one?

If yer in the boonies in an older house, then your line speed overall may not be the best. It could also be the route that your getting your data sent through. If you've gotta hit 100 different servers to get to the one you want it's gonna take a long time.

Could also depend on the traffic on the servers you are going through to get to the upload server on this end.

Brian the Fist
07-02-2003, 02:26 AM
Check your error.log too for any error messages that may explain stuff (it is normal to get timeout errors from when you were NOT connected to the internet and tried to upload, so ignore these)

johndoe3
07-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Checked the error.log file but during uploading, no errors were reported.

Maybe I should just surf a little while the client is uploading ;)

Johannes

PS: Concerning the post of Elena Garderman, I have no idea how to check this -it flag?! I can modify the handle, but dont know how to change settings after installation of the client.

Stardragon
07-02-2003, 11:49 AM
The "-it" flag would be found in your foldit.bat file (Windows) or foldit file (all other OSs). All it mean is that you're running the client with an internet connection, rather than offline.

johndoe3
07-05-2003, 04:31 AM
I looked into the foldit.bat file and came across this line:
".\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qf -it -rt" (Windows version)

So are these the flags of interest? I dont know if I should remove the -it flag, because most time I let the client run offline to accumulate about 50-100 WUs before uploading?

Any suggestions?

Johannes

Welnic
07-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Those flags were filled in for you when you answered the questions the first time that you ran the client. The -qf means that the client outputs the ascii folding display in the window. The -rt means that it will start using about 90 MBs of ram with this protein, instead of about 30 MBs with -rf.

The -it flag means that you have a internet connection. That is the default, so removing it won't do anything. If you have it set to -it and you are not connected, this means that it will time out for 2 minutes at the end of every generation trying to connect. I would change this it -if. Make a copy of foldit.bat, with a name like upload.bat, with the -it switch and run that when you are actually connected.

devzero
07-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Seems like this is happening again. Taking 2-3 minutes to upload each generation.

I just buffered up 16 gens and it took about 1/2 an hour to upload them.

johndoe3
07-14-2003, 04:24 AM
Just wanted to say that now things go rather smoothly, say uploading works most time fine and fast. Haven't changed anything at all, so maybe I just happend to upload when it was a bit crowded in the internet.

:cool:

By

Johannes

Brian the Fist
07-15-2003, 01:01 PM
I *might* know what was causing this and has been fixed but it might have been completely unrelated too...

Ned
07-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Normally I'm attached via my cable modem, but once in a while I'm out of town and I run with internet false then when I dial up, ask dfGui to upload for me. Works like a charm but for the speed thing. I just have to start the upload before I start browsing the internet. If I'm lucky and have a lot of data to upload, I'm unlucky in that it takes a long time... (2 to 3 minutes per generation...)

Ned :confused: