PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Gentoo?

MTP
03-03-2002, 09:30 AM
I've gone through the install twice now, and although it is a very long install I believe everything is going OK. Just towards the end It has me select a password for the root. However on reboot after the install is complete and the login pops up, I type in root, and the then the password I made during the install. It comes back and tells me invalid password unable to connect tty to user.

Does anybody else run this??

I'm fairly 'linux green' but I have been running mandrake 8 for awhile although that is setup allot like an ms o/s with the way it installs.

Dyyryath
03-03-2002, 12:41 PM
It may be cutting your password off at a certain number of characters (probably 8 if this is the problem).

Some Linux distros in the past have only asked for passwords up to 8 characters in length. When you enter it, rather than warn you that it's too long, it just truncates it. For example:

During the install you enter 'thisismypassword' for the root password. All the installer keeps is 'thisismy'. When the login prompt comes up on reboot and you enter 'thisismypassword' you get a big fat no-go. ;)

This may not be your problem, but I've seen it a few times so you might give it a shot. Try entering only the first 8 characters of your password. Obviously if your password is less than 8 characters this probably isn't it. :D

MTP
03-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Well I'm pretty bad with remembering passwords so I made it gentoo :D
I went back and re-installed the whole thing and skipped the whole root password portion.

That seems to work as now I can login to the root. So far this entire thing seems to be command line. I've have to look further to see what I can find.