PDA

View Full Version : Linux and PC-Chips 830LR

MTP
03-05-2002, 09:57 PM
I just got my new mb/cpu today. Slapped it all together and it fired right up (that means allot coming from me since I fired 4 1.4G T-birds in a row).
For those of you not familiar with the board it has a AC97 sound chip onboard, 10/100 LAN onboard via SIS chipset, and it came with an AMR 56k modem for the AMR slot.
The Mandrake8 install went flawless.
However it didn't recognize the onboard sound, onboard LAN, or the AMR modem.
Has anyone ever had a porblem with any of these items on this or another board using similiar hardware? Will linux work on this machine? (I'll be pissed if not since that was my whole goal, especially with the onboard LAN.)

Paratima
03-05-2002, 10:23 PM
I just put together an MSI board of similar config. None of the on-board stuff was enabled in the BIOS defaults... had to enable them each individually. That could be the problem, or at least a starting point.

Actually, missing the AC97 sound module is no great loss, IMHO, unless you're really not particular about sound quality. I couldn't get it to make any good noises. ;)

MTP
03-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Sound really isnt an issue, but I had really wanted to use the onboard LAN and the AMR modem. It is a SIS735 chipset for the agp and sound, SIS900 for the LAN, and SIS635 for the AMR modem.

Can you come up on IRC for Free-DC now and talk about it?

Paratima
03-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Evidently not :(

First attempt at IRC unsuccessful. Will have to research this new (for me) medium.

As for talking about it, just boot up and get into BIOS settings. Look for (depending on who wrote it) something like "Integrated Peripherals", and enable those devices. The default settings for enabling usually work OK. If this doesn't work, message me thru the forum.

I'll read up on IRC at lunchtime tomorrow. :)

Paratima
03-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Also, it can't hurt to make sure you've got the latest BIOS code. That board uses AMI and the latest version is 020112s dated 1/16/02. You'll also need the AMI BIOS Flash Utility, all available at http://www.pcchips.com .

[yawn] Bed calls. Let me know how you do. :)

MTP
03-06-2002, 12:38 AM
Yeah I checked the bios version before I even started to try to load any o/s onto it.
It came with the newest version out. Everything is enabled in bios.
The mb actually is quite stable and seems to run pretty well.
I just loaded Win2k on it and the sound, LAN, and AMR modem works just fine so it must be a Linux issue.
That really burns me as I bought this mb/cpu setup to be just a farm board but also to run linux on and get back into learning linux. I thought the build in sound, LAN, and MAR modem would be a simple plus.
I keep looking, maybe just my mandrake 8 is too old to recognize the stuff. I'll try to download 8.3beta tomorow from work.

Supp
03-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Check 'PNP OS Installed' option in BIOS and set it to 'No' - this usually help Linux to find devices you're missing.

Got Mandrake 8.1 and MB w/ integrated sound and Lan and no problems

MTP
03-06-2002, 12:13 PM
Thanks supp, I'll try that tonight. I remember seeing that option and I left it as YES.

MTP
03-06-2002, 07:02 PM
Decided to download Mandrake 8.2 beta4. Consist of 3 cds. I'm downloading from work but damn still says it will take 4 hours to download all 3.

I guess it will be tomorrow before I get to try to install as I'm going home now!

Supp
03-07-2002, 10:41 AM
Decided to download Mandrake 8.2 beta4. Consist of 3 cds. I'm downloading from work but damn still says it will take 4 hours to download all 3.

:o :o It would take me almost 5 days with my narrow-band microwave connection - I really hate our ISPs ;)

MTP
03-07-2002, 05:07 PM
At my old office it would have taken 1.5hr to download all 3 at the same time (thats how I got 8.1 :)).

This new office has a slower connection and it took me almost 6 hrs to download all 3 at the same time.

Hell it would have taken me days from home just for 1. I'm still a lowly dial up guy.:(
May switch this summer to cable modem, but I really hate the local cable company. Dont even have cable tv to the house.