PDA

View Full Version : win xp - svchost.exe

wirthi
07-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I got a svchost.exe going mad sometimes. I starts eating up all the cpu-time it can get and since it's running at "normal" priority, it gets almost 100% => both DF and d.net (ogr) have no change to get any time. The problem is not obvious (unless I look at either the taskmanager or the client's output) so it just steals the cpu time and I don't recognize.

To solve the problem i just kill the process using the taskmanager.

I've never seen it happen "randomly" - it only seems to occur when I actively use the computer. Perhaps it happens when I start Word, perhaps when I connect to the internet, perhaps it's a buggy mouse driver, I just don't know.

I also remember: I had the same problem on my old notebook (using Win 2k Server). The problem now also occurs on a notebook. Perhaps there's something wrong with ACPI?

Has anybody of you ever heared of something alike? Is there any chance to identify the service that's going mad (I don't want to try to stop every service, but if that's the only chance ...)?

Before you ask: I didn't install any DC project as service ...

Using: Win XP Home, ("Version 2002"), SP 1 on a Notebook, 2.2 Ghz P4, 512 MB Ram. Haven't changed much after the standard installation of the OS. (Didn't manually alter the Services, etc).

Thanks for any ideas on that topic.

Condor
07-02-2003, 02:58 PM
It does some behind the scenes networking stuff and other stuff as well. Personally I would not stop it but that is your call.
Basically all processes that start from a generic .dll file use that svchost.exe
From a commad prompt you can try "Tasklist /SVC" to get a better idea of what that particular svchost is running.