PDA

View Full Version : Client runs faster after deleting filelist.txt ?

gOhAsE
07-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Does the DOS client run faster after I have deleted the filelist.txt ?
Or am I just wrong?

It also wants to make 9999 generations at once...
Not only 50 like before.

Is this normal behaviour?

bwkaz
07-14-2003, 05:36 PM
When you deleted filelist.txt, you started back over at generation 0. Gen 0 is much larger, and the structures get built much faster, than all subsequent generations (all later gens are 50 structures big).

The score that you receive from each generation is proportional to the square root of the generation number, too, so starting over probably hurt you points-wise. If that matters at all... (it's an incentive to keep people folding until generation 250 -- when the project team has decided they should start over -- rather than starting over when they feel like they need to because of some problem with it getting stuck or producing worse structures).

In short, yes, it's to be expected, you're folding much faster now, but you're getting many fewer points for it.

gOhAsE
07-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Thank you for your really "complete" answer. :)

Every time when I reach Gen 250 - the client will then start over at Gen 0 ?

It will completely start over at zero?

(sorry for my bad english, its quite late here in Germany)

edit: What do they count here:

Points or Structures?

http://www.distributedfolding.org/teampages/team2197.html
("Points")

http://stats.zerothelement.com/cgi-bin/distributed-folding/render-users.pl?team=2197
("Structures")

I'm a little bit confused :confused:

tpdooley
07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
gen0= 50 points. 10k structures done the phase I way.
gen1-250 = 50*sqr(x) points where x=generation #
gen 1-250 can take a few minutes - to as long as 1.5-2.0 days on athlon axp 1800+ type machines.

the stats are based on the points, not structures..

bwkaz
07-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Right, and Dyyryath's stats (at the stats.zerothelement.com link) just haven't changed the terminology over from the Phase 1 client, when scoring was based on structures. It is now officially based on points (mostly because structures generate so much slower), and since the Zeroth Element stats base themselves off the official stats' numbers (Dyyryath's server pulls the teampages.tar.gz from the DF server every hour), your number is the same regardless. It's just that the Zeroth Element stats have the wrong label.

Dyyryath, are you tuning into this thead? Seems like that shouldn't be too hard to change (you do use some sort of template for this stuff, right? :p), but it of course depends entirely on how your Perl script(s) work...

And:

Every time when I reach Gen 250 - the client will then start over at Gen 0 ?

It will completely start over at zero? Yes, it starts completely over. Once you get to gen 250, no information is carried forward into the future. Just don't get 337 (or is it 338? I don't remember, I don't run offline...) generations all buffered up on an offline machine, or you'll hit a known bug where they won't upload properly. Hopefully that one will get nailed down soon.

gOhAsE
07-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok.

Now all my questions (concerning the client) are solved.

Thank you!

:)

Dyyryath
07-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by bwkaz
Dyyryath, are you tuning into this thead? Seems like that shouldn't be too hard to change (you do use some sort of template for this stuff, right? :p), but it of course depends entirely on how your Perl script(s) work...

Yeah, it's all template driven. I should have caught that discrepancy during the change over. Sorry about that! It's fixed, now. :thumbs:

bwkaz
07-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Cool, you're definitely better at maintaining this than I am at getting new dfGUI Linux versions out... :p :o

^7_of_9
07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by bwkaz
Right, and Dyyryath's stats (at the stats.zerothelement.com link) just haven't changed the terminology over from the Phase 1 client, when scoring was based on structures. It is now officially based on points (mostly because structures generate so much slower), and since the Zeroth Element stats base themselves off the official stats' numbers (Dyyryath's server pulls the teampages.tar.gz from the DF server every hour), your number is the same regardless. It's just that the Zeroth Element stats have the wrong label.

And:

Yes, it starts completely over. Once you get to gen 250, no information is carried forward into the future. Just don't get 337 (or is it 338? I don't remember, I don't run offline...) generations all buffered up on an offline machine, or you'll hit a known bug where they won't upload properly. Hopefully that one will get nailed down soon.

It's less than 337. I've had this happen to one machine that I couldn't get home to in time (I knew it was close) and it was on 336 at the time ....