PDA

View Full Version : DF Windows Client News

Dyyryath
07-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Brian the Fist (Howard from DF) has posted a quick thread in the <a href="http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=27">Distributed Folding forum</a> with information about a new version of the Windows client that will hopefully alleviate <b>some</b> of the problems we've been seeing. Here's what he had to say:<br><br><table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;">We have fixed a number of minor bugs which mostly (if not exclusively) affect Windows users. The handle leak should be fixed. It is unclear if this was also what was causing the memory leak (ie the handles using memory) although I doubt it... The handle leak was definitely related to the -g frequency option.<br><br>Also some bugs or potential bugs with the TMP / DFPTEMP paths and files are fixed. Specifically, those few people who observed a "Insert duplicate residue" error should hopefully never see this message again. There should be no need to have separate TMP directories for multiple processes on multiple CPU machines.<br><br>If you are feeling lucky, the updated Windows EXE is here:<br><br><a href="ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfo...oldtrajlite.zip">ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfo...oldtrajlite.zip</a><br><br>You can just overwrite your current executable with this one (assuming you've got the Phase II client already installed that is). I suggesting backing up the old EXE first just in case.<br><br>So if you are experiencing troubles please try out this one and let us know what happens, esp. re the handle leak and memory leak.<br><br>In the mean time we will search for the remaining 2-3 problems which have yet to be reproduced on our end...</td></tr></table><br><br>There are a couple of caveats, though, which are listed in a post further down the thread:<br><br><table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;"> 1. Please remember it is normal for memory usage to go up DURING a generation - but it should get 'flushed' at the end of a generation (if you keep it going)<br><br>2. The new executable also fixed the Windows directory permission issue. So you shouldn't need write permission in the WINNT or WINDOWS directory any longer<br><br>Ok I lied there's 3:<br><br>3. I've been messing around with the service stuff so Ill fix that tomorrow - for now command line only...</td></tr></table><br><br>You can find the complete thread <a href="http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3591">right here</a>, and a thread in our own forum <a href="http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3592">right here</a>.

IronBits
07-16-2003, 12:52 AM
It's working GREAT on all my w2k/XP boxen, including the Duals :D

Dyyryath
07-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Bah, that figures. Where's the Linux client?! :swear:

IronBits
07-16-2003, 03:05 AM
What's Linux? :moon: :D

PY 222
07-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by IronBits

I heard it is some kind of beer from Finland :crazy:

Moogie
07-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Working great so far! :)

Dyyryath
07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by IronBits

Ah, that certainly explains some of your administration issues in the past. ;) :D

the-mk
07-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath

. . .
ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfo...oldtrajlite.zip
. . .

Dyy, that link in your first post is broken!

EDIT: correct link: ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfold/download/foldtrajlite.zip

IronBits
07-17-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
Ah, that certainly explains some of your administration issues in the past. ;) :D Issues? Issues! I don't have any issues... at least not any more :blush: