PDA

View Full Version : screensaver takes a while to shut down

tsangal
07-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Sometimes while the windows screensaver is running, it takes a while for it to shut down after I move the mouse and bang on the keyboard. This only started happening after the most recent update. This is rather annoying as it can take almost a minute before it lets me back into my desktop. Anyone else have this problem?

YoKenny
07-24-2003, 10:46 PM
I notice the same thing. The screen hangs with CALCULATING ENERGY at the bottom left. I did not have patience to wait and just Ctrl-Alt-Del and the screen comes back. :confused:

Brian the Fist
07-25-2003, 10:35 AM
Unforunatlely for techinal reasons you cannot quit while the Calculating Energy message appears. On the bright side this only occurs during generation zero. It should normally not take more than 5 seconds or so though. If it is taking longer, you may not know about the problem with the latest update. See the news page here:

http://www.distributedfolding.org/news.html

and grab the updated binary in the latest news message there which should speed things up.

JimRonbacl
07-27-2003, 09:46 PM
The lastest version of Distributed Folding which is auto-updated onto my Windows 2000 Pro does not allow me to interrupt the screen saver by
moving my mouse when it reaches the "calculating energy" stage. Before it reaches that stage it can be interrupted. The only way it can be
interrupted while "calculating energy" is by a Crtl Alt Delete. This is most annoying. I'm sure some users will stop sharing their machine with
this bug not fixed.

Yours foldingly,

Jim Ronback

tpdooley
07-27-2003, 10:51 PM
Jim - If your system auto-updated, check the date & size against the latest updated client that Howard gave a link to in the message just before yours. (1:09pm or 1:43pm July 23rd was the time stamp on the working foldtrajlite.exe text version - so the screen saver time stamps should be close to that. Alas, Howard prefers comparing the size of the file - and I don't have the SS file size. )

ftp://ftp.mshri.on.ca/pub/distribfold/download/foldtrajlitess.zip

Is just the updated screensaver; while the news page gives the link to the whole client.
(read the message he posted in News, before deciding which way to go. )