PDA

View Full Version : dfGUI for *nix boxen

IronBits
07-28-2003, 03:16 PM
Where is it? That's all I wanna know ;)

the-mk
07-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Do you want to controll (start/stop it) the client or just monitor it?

I am monitoring my linux-client with a fileshare. The windows-monitor and the linux-cruncher are working 24/7. Starting client via telnet/ssh, mounting fileshare in my windows-explorer and start dfGUI.exe. Works great, I only could stop the client, but not start it but monitoring is great!

Digital Parasite
07-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Ironbits, the URL to the Linux version of dfGUI is here:
http://kadzban.is-a-geek.net/dfGUI-linux/

Or were you talking about wanting an updated version to match the v3.x functionality?

Jeff.

IronBits
07-28-2003, 04:39 PM
I'll try that Beta 2.2 thang for now. I hope it works ;)
Nope :cry: oh well I guess.

bwkaz
07-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Sorry!!

If you really want, I can put up (the equivalent of) version 3.0. But it won't be very well tested at all, as like I've said before, I have little time for that type of thing. Cursed Real Life... :(

Especially when the main power rail decoupling capacitors on my motherboard decide to puke their guts out all over themselves... man, that is not pretty. ;) Replacements should be coming soon, though, so we'll see. With any kind of luck at all, I can devote most of this coming Saturday to it. I know, I know, that's a fairly long way off...

IronBits
07-29-2003, 01:14 AM
I just need a binary to run, thank you very much :)
That or give it to Dyyryath so he can compile it on Mandrake for me ;)
I'm just a tad better than an AOLer on *nix anymore, and forgetting faster than I can learn or remember. :(
:notworthy

bwkaz
07-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Well... hmm. I can put up a binary, yeah. But it may not even run, depending on your system...

Well, hang on, if it's Mandrake 9 or higher, then it might be OK.

A good chunk of this may not work well... just so you know. Specifically, it's been a while since I tested the "start client" / "stop client" buttons, so I don't really know how well (or if) they work. And I'm not positive whether I ever brought over the code for the "stop client+GUI after XXX hours" or the autostart/stop. But most of the rest should (hopefully...) be there. If you find something that's missing, then it's because I'm still working on it. ;) This is my development tree, basically.

The package is available at http://kadzban.is-a-geek.net/dfGUI-linux/dfGUI-3.0.tar.gz -- but since it's a development version, it won't be linked from the main page. The binary is available at http://kadzban.is-a-geek.net/dfGUI-linux/dfGUI (but that will eventually be the binary for 3.1 final -- you will also have to right-click and "save as", because apparently my Web server can't figure out the mime-type... grrr... ;)).

You'll need Gtk2 installed if you use the binary, and Gtk2-devel if you use the source, but that's about it (it also requires XFree86 (XFree86-devel if you use the source), obviously, but that's no big deal, since Gtk2 requires it also).

magnav0x
07-29-2003, 07:36 PM
beta 2.2 runs great on my gentoo box under enlightenment. Start/stop buttons function just fine.

bwkaz
08-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Oh, crap.

Well, so much for working on dfGUI this weekend. I currently have zero machines that (1) will run, (2) have Gtk 2 installed, and (3) have a usable installation of X.

:bang:

The replacement capacitors for my motherboard were waaaay too big, but they ended up still being usable. The problem is, after I replaced the two burned ones, the board won't POST anymore! :swear: The monitor just goes into sleep mode, the power LED never comes on, and the hard drive LED comes on for a short time, then goes off. No beeps, no nothing. All the fans run, just the rest of the thing doesn't.

On the bright side, Asus KT400 boards are about $60 (from Newegg), so I grabbed one of those. Should be here Monday or Tuesday, even though according to FedEx's own page, it's already in Grand Rapids. Come on, stupid people, it's only 20 minutes by truck farther! Of course, I've had issues with FedEx not delivering anything before the est. date on the tracking page, too, so this doesn't really surprise me... I really wish Newegg would start using somebody else to ship their stuff.

The best-laid plans... :trash:

IronBits
08-02-2003, 07:05 PM
^bump^ for a more updated *nix dfGUI thread :D