PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas

RacerX
07-30-2003, 02:10 PM
I have an older P3 800 that I am using to run DF on. It is my DNC system at work and really does nothing other than feed code to my machining center and run DF. I used to use this system as my CAD/CAM station so it has plenty of RAM. Here is my dilemma: I am running Win98 and as long as DF is the primary application it runs just fine. It will not run in the background nor will it run minimized. Even so much as a screen saver (I usually use just the blank screen to not gobble RAM) causes it to quit crunching. The program will not shut off it just stops crunching and pauses at its current place until I make it in the foreground on the desktop. It used to run just fine and I would use the DFgui to watch progress then one day I came into work and it was just stopped. It will not even run with the gui these days. Anyone have any ideas?

Paratima
07-30-2003, 07:24 PM
I have a similar system (my only remaining W98) with some of the same sort of problems, although not as severe as you indicate. Not running the client in the background is a puzzler. :confused:

I have found that Win2K is MUCH better at distributing the computing horsepower than 98 ever was. My first preference would be to upgrade it to W2K. Barring that, reinstalling W98 might do the trick.