PDA

View Full Version : Bus error

Welnic
08-01-2003, 05:35 PM
I have a file set that when I try to run I get the calculating trajectory progress bar, but when that is through it says bus error and the client dies. I have all of the data files if you want them. It writes nothing to the error.log and doesn't remove the lock file.

OSX 10.2.6

Chinasaur
08-02-2003, 08:16 AM
./foldit: line 26: 607 Bus error ./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qt -it -rt

I've got the directory intact for upload if you want it.

10.2.6, 512 RAM, 50GB HD. Had been running 9 days straight and had just gotten thru 1st Gen set.

bwkaz
08-02-2003, 01:42 PM
"Bus error" is similar to a segfault, according to my signal(7) manpage. SIGBUS is described in the Single Unix Specification version 2, but not in the POSIX spec, so it is possible that Unix-like OS's choose between the two. Not sure, though I've never seen a SIGBUS on Linux. Anyway...

It'd be interesting to find out whether people running other versions of OSX are having the same issue (I find it strange that you're both using the exact same version; maybe it's not relevant though).

Welnic
08-02-2003, 02:35 PM
10.2.6 is the latest public release of OSX, so most people are probably running it. The updates are pretty painless to do. At this stage in addition to minor features and bug fixes most of the updates have speed increases also so it is not a hard decision to update.

Brian the Fist
08-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes, please zip up the directory and let us have a look. If possible put it on a web or FTP site or Xdrive somewhere for us to grab and tell us the location at trades@mshri.on.ca We cannot accept large e-mails unfortunately.

Chinasaur
08-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Howard,

YGM.

Brian the Fist
08-05-2003, 01:37 PM
This turned out to be the same problem as someone else had a couple days ago, and I fixed it already. Apparently the energy minimization was buggering up the protein at the very last residue. It was messed up enough to violate a logic check and anyhow without going into too much detail, the buggering up could still happen (not a big deal since it right at the end of the protein) but the crashing won't happen anymore, it will proceed with no ill effects. Thanks for capturing this one.