PDA

View Full Version : Hardware & Software Reviews

Dyyryath
08-02-2003, 11:51 PM
We've talked in the past about doing some of this sort of thing here at Free-DC. We've got quite a few individuals in the forums who are extremely capable, many of whom work in the computer industry for a living. Perhaps it's time we tapped some of that potential for the good of the group.<br><br>I guess the biggest roadblock to doing this will be getting volunteers. Obviously, you could expect the 'leaders' to shoulder some of this burden, but this is a community and we like everyone to contribute when they can.<br><br>What kind of reviews would we be interested in? That's ultimately up to the family, but I'd say anything related to computers (hardware, software, technology), and distributed computing in particular would be good. Here's a couple of things <b>I'd</b> like to see:<br><br><ul><li>Which processors work best for which clients?<br><li>Which operating systems work best for which clients?<br><li>How does 'Big Iron' compare to regular PCs?<br><li>Reviews of different projects: pros & cons.<br><li>Reviews of new hardware<br><li>Reviews of new operating systems<br><li>Comparisons of various hardware & software platforms<br><li>HOWTOs on, well, how to do things<br></ul><br><br>The first two questions already have some anecdotal answers, but has anyone ever sat down and really tested them under controlled conditions?<br><br>I can think of a least one or two people capable of writing something for every one of these examples, but the question is, will they? Doing it right requires time & energy that not everyone has to spend. So, do we have any takers? <br><br>To get things started, I've been talking to some of our other Linux guys about the performance differences between the various Linux distros. Tonight I've offered to do some benchmarking & report on what I find. I'll be testing Red Hat 9, Mandrake 9.1, Libranet Debian 2.8, & Gentoo 1.4 to see how much (if any) difference we can discern between them. <br><br>I'm also tinkering with doing some benchmarks across different operating systems (i.e. Linux vs Windows) and different versions of Windows (i.e. 98se vs 2000 vs XP). <br><br>So how about it? Does anybody else feel like writing/contributing?

IronBits
08-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Great ideas Dyyryath!

I'd like to see EXACTLY how to make a Linux distribution that boots up, looks to a certain share point on a certain Server (windows based would be nice) (easily configured) mounts that point as it's very own file system, and runs whatever client I have in that share location.
Of course that means it needs to find the correct video card, NIC, and using DHCP etc.
All using a CD-Rom or floppy if it's possible. Having a downloadable .ISO and precise simple instructions on what to modify, then burn and borg. ;)

I know JTrinkle was into doing some hardware reviews... wonder if he'd like to now?

Dyyryath
08-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Once I'm done with my current project, I could easily write up how to do just what you've described & setup an ISO for people to use.

However, don't think that I'm going to do all the work here! :D

As one of our local overclocking gurus around here, you seem like you'd be a good person to do some testing and then write an in-depth article on how various memory speeds, clock speeds, & front side bus speeds affect the clients from various projects...so, uh...get to work. :D

IronBits
08-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Ask, and you shall receive :D

Windows Diskless DF Stack

The Biostar mobos I just bought are supposed to be PXE capable :thumbs:

Has onboard nic/vid/sound/DDR support (about $55)
XP2400/266 2 GHz procs (about $80) 2,000 credits per hourly update - approx.)
DDR 2700 256mb ($37) only need DDR 2100
Volcano 7 HSF ($14) thermally controlled fans, quiet
Antec 400 watt PS ($33) definately way overkill, Sparkle 300 would suffice.
$219 each for quality components

- could be done cheaper for sure
Could split the power supply and run 2 boards off one PS for instance.
Plain vanilla DDR Ram
Lower cost, lower powered power supply

If I can get this working schweetly, (read: AOLer proof) then I'll post all the details.

Does anyone know of a "good" freeware tftp service for w2k?
I found a really schweet looking one here http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Free_tools/TFTP_Server/index.htm

I already have the 'backup plan' with the rhine nic boot image, but that would require a floppy or CD-drive, adding to the cost of the total package.

magnav0x
08-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Ironbits, does that biostar motherboard happen to be the M7VKQ model. Also, where are you getting the parts from. They sound like good prices, especialy if they are all from the same website. Let me know, I'm looking into doing 5 diskless thin clients in about a month or two.

IronBits
08-03-2003, 02:52 PM
That would be HERE :) BIOSTAR M7VIQ
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=35297#post35297
Of course, I bought the 5 HDDs before I thunk of the diskless version. :rolleyes:
Blame Dyyryath :D

magnav0x
08-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey, at least you'll have extra HD's laying around for when you decide to make them true boxens. You can never have enough extra computer hardware laying around :cheers:

BTW, anyone know of a good place to search for PXE enabled motherboards? I'm finding it difficult to see what all my options are, because most sites just indicate that the boards have onboard lan and don't mention if it has PXE (even if it does have PXE). I've even checked out the manufacturer's websites and they fail to mention it as well. It's realy fustrating me.

I checkedon BIOSTAR's website and it indicates that the onboard NIC is a VIA VT6103 chipset. So I went to VIA's website and looked up the VIA VT6103 chip and it doesn't idicate PXE or not either. :trash:

Does anyone know for sure if it's true that all newer motherboards support PXE. Supposedly, from what I read it was pushed to be a standard in post 2002 motherboards.

Dyyryath
08-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Not off hand, though here's a place that sells net boot cards & ROMS:

http://www.disklessworkstations.com/

Here's a site with some pretty good info on diskless setups:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO.html

Paratima
08-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Don't know if it's of any interest in the current discussion, but there is this link (http://www.dnaresearch.com.au/gahnix.shtml), posted by our old buddy dnar some time ago. :cool: