PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Worries (again)

jonnyw
08-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Ok, i got some replies to this yesterday, but didn't read any of them because I was out, and since then the post has been lost (due to the server or something) and so i'm asking it again.

So if you answered it yesterday, please could you answer it again today. :)

I have recently downloaded motherboard monitor, and was quite surprised at the temperatures it reported.

when the CPU was idle (or just browsing the net etc), I got the following temps

CPU:36 C
Motherboard:38 C
Hard Disk:40 C
Temp3: 96 C(unknown what this temp is).

When I satart the pc folding, within 5 mins the temps have rose to as follows

CPU:53 C
Motherboard:42 C
Hard Disk:41 C
Temp3: 96 C(unknown what this temp is).

My pc is a P4 2.53 GHz

So I have a few questions

1)Are these temps ok, or are they a little high? (i.e whats normal? and am i ok running df 24/7 at these temps?)

2)What is the maximum that each of the above devices should be (i need to know so that i can set that as a level for the software to warn be about)?

3)anyone know what the 96 C temp reading is for, or is it just the software thinking it's reading a temp sensor, when it is in fact reading some other chip?

4)Could people (who have access to their system temperatures) post there temps up too so I can compare

Cheers :)

bwkaz
08-08-2003, 05:40 PM
The 94C reading is probably just what your motherboard reports when no temperature-monitoring hardware is actually hooked up to the monitor chip. I'm not positive on that, but it's extremely unlikely that when the rest of your system is around 40C, anywhere would be near 90C.

As for the 17 degree rise, I'm not sure about P4's, but on an Athlon, that would be just a bit high. Though not much.

My new Barton core (XP2500+) runs at about 30C on bootup, and around 40C under load (load == DF running), so that's about a 10 degree difference. I think my old Palomino (XP1800+) ran at around 48C when idle and around 60C when under load, so that's a little closer. Plus, the 2.5GHz speed is going to make that P4 run relatively hot anyway (my 2500+ runs at 1833MHz).

I have a feeling you don't have anything to worry about. However, make SURE you check your processor manufacturer's site (i.e., www.intel.com) to find a technical manual for your processor. Make sure you're still well within the design limits (for example, the absolute maximum temp. for my Palomino 1800 was 90C; 60 is well within that). If your absolute maximum is lower than, oh, probably 65C or so (at a guess), then I might get worried.

jonnyw
02-11-2004, 11:32 AM
sorry for the thread revival, but i've recently built a pc for my dad, and want to install df on it as a service (with motherboard monitor installed to stop the client if it gets too hot).

Anyway the cpu for this pc is an xp2500, and I need to know what is a sensible temperature to get it to cut off at.

The sites technical manuals here (http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_3748,00.html) seem to say a maximum die temp of 85 degrees C, but this seems a little high to me (and I don't even know if i'm looking at the correct technical specs, or even in the right part of the specs :o )

Can anyone help me out here, giving examples for their cpu idle, and under load, and suggest temps they think the cpu SHOULDN'T get above.

I'm more concerned for during summer really, as I may not be arround to check the temps,and don't want the cpu dying on me :shocked:

any input apreciated :D

Darkness Productions
02-11-2004, 11:43 AM
I consistently see temperatures in the 50-60C range under load. I'd personally suggest a cutoff at 70. If this happens too often though, you'll need to look into better cooling.

the-mk
02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Temperatures of my AMD XP2600 (Thoroughbred):
Room where it is: about 21 degrees C
In the case: 27 degrees C (w/ 120 mm exhaust-fan, and 92 mm HDD cooling fan)
CPU-Diode 40 degrees C (w/ Thermalright SK7 and 80 mm fan)
CPU-Socket 57 degrees C

All these temps are 100% load! They never run idle :D

I would worry if the temps get over 70 degrees C. Ensure a proper air-circulation in your case. And I would recommend a copper heatsink...

Paratima
02-11-2004, 11:47 AM
If your CPU is that 70c or above, your case temp is right up there. Heat kills hard drives. :eek:

Thor
02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
@The-MK
Are you shure that you didn't switch the two cpu temperatures?
Usually the cpu-diode shows a higher temperature than the socket...

@ Topic
my XP 1800 Palomino runs at around 60°C with an Alpha Pal 8045(df running) and an 120mm Papst fan.... thher are 2other 80mm Papst fans in the case (19db).
It rock stable....highest temp I ever had was 71° but that was a different Heatsink....

They are specified up to 85°C I think (the Bartons)

So you shouldn't have any problems with the XP2500...just use a good cpu-cooler. If you have to go for a cheap one, try an Arctic-Cooling Supersilent Copper2 (NOT the one with the temperature controlled fan!) They are supposed to be pretty good in an non-overclocking enviroment. In Germany they sell for about 12€

As for the PIV it is even less trouble (although the temperatures are ok). The P IV throttles itself when it gets too hot. I think it was @ tomshardware.com where they ripped the cooler off an P IV running Quake 3, it only slowed down to 1FPS and went back up again when they put the cooler back in its place...No harm done to the cpu...The Athlon just went up in smoke....

Hope it helps a little...

Thor

the-mk
02-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Thor
@The-MK
Are you shure that you didn't switch the two cpu temperatures?
Usually the cpu-diode shows a higher temperature than the socket...
. . .

I installed MotherboardMonitor (Version 5.3.5.0), selected my motherboard during the installation (or the first start up, I don't know exactly, it was long time ago :D it's an Asus A7V8X) and MBM named it like that...

magicfan241
02-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Well, during the winter my AXP 2000+ runs at 65C under load(ambient 55F), and close to 75C under load(ambient 70F) in the summer. My case is the hell of cooling. Full-tower, and a half a dozen wierd bars, Power supply (without bottom fan) sitting right on top of the CPU, Ram shunted around IDE &floppy cables.

The only reason the temps are this low is because I have 3 sheets of transperancy paper routing air.

Good luck with your project. I always have extreme cooling problems with my computers when I build them.

magicfan241

jonnyw
02-11-2004, 05:51 PM
cheers all.

I'll set it to max out at 65 C then.

As for the heatsink & fan, i'll be using the retail ones that come with the chip, so as not to invalidate the three year warranty :)

JTrinkle
02-11-2004, 08:13 PM
With a P4, I wouldn't worry about it... when they get too hot they just throttle down the clockspeed...

Tom's Hardware (http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html)

From Tom's

The Pentium 4 core comes equipped with a thermal monitoring unit that permanently checks the temperature. As soon as the core temperature has reached a certain trigger value, the thermal unit throttles down the clock of Pentium 4 until a safe temperature has been reached.

PS: Check out the video of the Athlon turning into toast ;)

-JT