View Full Version : Smack Down

IronBits
08-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Fresh from over at Ars
bguinto1
Smack-Fu Master, in training

Tribus: Foster City, CA

posted August 08, 2003 10:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks. I'm thinking of challenging Free DC's top 2 producers to a 2-4 week Gauntlet after the changeover. Loser has to shut down for 1 week or move to another project for 1 week of loser's choosing. But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Where is my Master? Dyyryath!!! :notworthy

/me starts looking for ways to go into 'sleeper' mode ;)

magicfan241
08-08-2003, 02:46 PM
So, now we need everyone to know IB or PCZ's handle, so when the gauntlet starts we can force Bguinto1 to stop doing DF for a week. That'll teach him....

IronBits
08-08-2003, 03:07 PM
:rotfl:

PCZ
08-08-2003, 03:14 PM
IB

Do we rise to the challenge or not ?

FoBoT
08-08-2003, 03:14 PM
in a way it is a bummer you can't do work for others (unless they give you their secret code), but howard did it that way for a good reason http://moddb.com/images/smilie/ninja.gif

magicfan241
08-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Ok, everyone move to the FDC anomyous account. We can beat up Bguinto1 with that!

cygnussphere
08-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Whaaaa? FreeDc'ers putting folding on someone else's handle:spray:

I can't imagine anyone of us that would do such a thing:whistle:

Of coarse there would be nothing preventing the Artisians from doing the same thing:Pokes:

It would only be a real wager if he was willing to put up his structures before knowing the output rates and the bet should be that the loser has to Fold for a week for the winner on a differant handle (exp:bguinto1DFsmackdownloser) with the structures being left on the apposing team.:shocked:

:tempted:

:cheers:

IronBits
08-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
IB
Do we rise to the challenge or not ? Let us see what Howard brings us next go around.
I've seen bursts of WUs he has dumped that brings tears to my eyes and with the stats fubar situation, well, we probably lost the history.
That would take some serious thought tho... I didn't say NO. ;)

Now IF Dyyryath rose to the challenge, then I'd be all for it with no hesitation! ;) :jester:
My money would be on Dyyryath all by his lonesome :lmao:

Depends on the next client's reliability, let's see what happens.

I did note some hesitation on his part as well
"But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Currently, WE are doing about 2 million more a week than he :thumbs:

bguinto1
08-08-2003, 04:00 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]
I did note some hesitation on his part as well
"But first I need to see what the averages will look like after the new update.

Currently, WE are doing about 2 million more a week than he :thumbs: [/B][/QUOTE]

As the old poker saying goes ... "never put all your cards on the table". :D

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 04:06 PM
:notworthy Howdy there "big guy". :notworthy Don't suppose that we could convince you to move over to Free-DC from ARS? That would just solve all these little problems..... :thumbs:

bguinto1
08-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by magicfan241
So, now we need everyone to know IB or PCZ's handle, so when the gauntlet starts we can force Bguinto1 to stop doing DF for a week. That'll teach him....

I see there's a lot of honor in this group! :Pokes: :D ;)

IronBits
08-08-2003, 04:34 PM
I am hesitant because of one thing - the stakes are too high.
I see nothing but broken spirits for the losing team...

You are a worthy opponent :notworthy and I'd love to answer the proposed challenge to push us harder, but not at the expense of either team's spirits.

For instance, I could go out and buy 20 more boxen at the drop of a hat, as you or PCZ could for that matter, but, that would also look like someone was putting work on our handles (which no one has) and we would be called cheaters by the losing Team. I see no way to avoid it.

A good smack down would be fun, there is no denying that !!! :elephant:

Of course, for me, every day is a balls to the walls race. :D
I always have my cards on the table, as well as my heart, for the science of the project, as a home pharmer.
:D

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bguinto1
I see there's a lot of honor in this group! :Pokes: :D ;) Just in case you didn't know - *I* took that post as a joke, and I'm assuming that everyone else did, too... The reason being well, look up MagicFan under ARS Team Crab Cake...

We don't do things like that, er, um, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is, and they don't count, um, exactly... Well I mean they count, but the fact that they pool their output doesn't count, sort of.... Oh nevermind.... :D

bguinto1
08-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
Just in case you didn't know - *I* took that post as a joke, and I'm assuming that everyone else did, too... The reason being - MagicFan is the ARS leader of Team Crab Cake...

We don't do things like that, umm, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is....:D

Yes the post was meant in jest. Of course I wasn't intentionally trying offend anyone, especially not a fine, upstanding group as this one. :moon:

Originally posted by Ironbits
I am hesitant because of one thing - the stakes are too high.
I see nothing but broken spirits for the losing team...

You are a worthy opponent and I'd love to answer the proposed challenge to push us harder, but not at the expense of either team's spirits.

For instance, I could go out and buy 20 more boxen at the drop of a hat, as you or PCZ could for that matter, but, that would also look like someone was putting work on our handles (which no one has) and we would be called cheaters by the losing Team. I see no way to avoid it.

A good smack down would be fun, there is no denying that !!! [/B]

You have a good point, we may just have to do this for pride. Although having something on the line does add a little more spice to this competition, wouldn't you agree?

IronBits
08-08-2003, 05:13 PM
As the old poker saying goes ... "never put all your cards on the table". :D A home pharmer should never go head to head with a corporate pharmer, especially a sneaky one ;), lest you like a good dose of humility. :D ;)
Just ask "Breaker of Rule #1" who stops in from time to time :rotfl:

You should pick on someone your own size, like Dyyryath or xj10bt for instance :smoking:

Us home pharmers have more heart than GHz... :)

I like spice! :D How about you PCZ?

What do you suggest?

bguinto1
08-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by IronBits

I like spice! :D How about you PCZ?

What do you suggest?

I don't have anything in mind at this time. I'm sure both our teams can come up with something "creative". :scared: :D

Anarchy99
08-08-2003, 05:24 PM
OH SO I DONT COUNT NOW:scratch:

PCZ
08-08-2003, 05:33 PM
IB

You raised a good point there about a sudden increase in points by any of us resulting in cries of foul play.

I am a 100% home farmer these days.

But I do have access to hundreds of corporate servers and workstations.
In the past I have folded {F@H} on these and in the heat of competition against a corporate farmer I would have brought them into play.

I get a lot of satisfaction from competing against people such as yourself who
have built and funded there own farms.

I would prefer it stayed that way.

So bgunito1
I must respectfully decline your invitation to gauntlet

cygnussphere
08-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Anarchy99
OH SO I DONT COUNT NOW:scratch:

:D :banana: here it comes:drums: :machgun:

pointwood
08-08-2003, 06:06 PM
bguinto1: I don't think they'll ever dare joining a gauntlet against you - you'll seldom get a glimse of these freebies - they are pretty good at hiding themselves. By sneaking around for a while, I did manage to catch one of them of guard and here's the result...

PCZ
08-08-2003, 06:11 PM
bgunito1

I do want to gauntlet so if we could come up with an alternative to your original
challenge then I would be up for it.

I have a suggestion:
Could you goin forces with say 4 of your team mates. ?
and FreeDC will create a team of 5.

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Nice try, Pointy, but ARS is STILL #2 team in DF. :D

Quick - someone post a picture of a Cheese Danish.. :harhar:

pointwood
08-08-2003, 06:42 PM
:rotfl:

I hope I didn't offend anyone with that picture - it wasn't actually such a picture I was looking for, but I just had to use it :p

magicfan241
08-08-2003, 07:21 PM
@rsbriggs:
I crunch THINK/TCC under my real name "Steven Scripko" Of course, giving zeros 'cause of the gauntlet.
Yse, the post was meant as a joke. I just forget to use smilies alot....

Although if DF has another bad changeover, I suggest that people do UD. I've never had any client problems....

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 07:55 PM
:) We're all friendly here. In general, no one attempts to offend, and no one gets very offended.... None of this stuff: :swear: :|punch|:

Actually I found the chicken picture kind of cute :cool: Still wish I could have found a picture of a cheese Danish to post, just to poke fun at pointy.... :Pokes:

I'm actually doing a little crunching for ARS'es TVM for the BBQ gauntlet. Owed DragonGoddess a favor....

And no, Anarchy - I didn't say that you don't count.....

IronBits
08-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I posted to the wrong section of the Forum, so I moved it to the appropriate one "Trash Talk" :D

IronBits
08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Interesting figures

http://teamstats.macnn.com/dfold/stats.php?TID=78&sort=StatsWeek&range=100&page=a2
bguinto1 93.8 GHz

http://teamstats.macnn.com/dfold/stats.php?TID=5&page=a2
IronBits 56.4 GHz
PCZ 50.8 GHz

IronBits
08-08-2003, 08:34 PM
I will put up an AMD cruncher for the gauntlet :D

XP1600 (1.4 GHz), 1 stick of Mushkin 512mb PC2100 DDR w/heat spreader, SK6 all copper HSF, HDD, Video card and 3Com NIC.
Burned in and used 24/7 as a cruncher, runs all clients with ease.

If PCZ and I should lose, (and we won't) I will donate this fine running system, minus case and PS because of shipping weight, to bguinto1 or to whom ever he wishes.

OR, I will put it on Ars TCC for ONE MONTH using any 'handle' bguinto1 requests me to use, in a personal email to me. :thumbs:

If we win, (and we will), bguinto1 has to put up an equivelant system and use our Free-DC Anonymous account using the following handle 92psu8co for ONE MONTH. :)

If PCZ is willing to match this offer, then bguinto1 will have to put up TWO equivalent
systems on the Free-DC Anonymous account for ONE MONTH :D

magnav0x
08-08-2003, 08:36 PM
We don't do things like that, umm, except for the Free-DC Hydra folk, that is....

hey wait a sec...I'm the only one crunching under hydra central....if there were more than just me we'd have problems with my kind of output :jester:

PCZ
08-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I'm confused!!

Is the gauntlet against bgunito1 back on or what.
I believe we both declined.
However IB if you want to do it afterall then I will have to assist you for the Honour of the team.

Yes I will match the stakes.

Chinasaur
08-09-2003, 01:08 AM
I would counsel you both NOT to do this thing.

It's only a ruse to disrupt production they can't otherwise beat you at.

Please don't confuse some foolhardy machismo stunt with common sense.

IronBits
08-09-2003, 01:39 AM
I said the stakes were too high - I made a counter offer (glad you're with me PCZ!)
He hasn't accepted the offer yet, or countered with a different option yet. ;)

At worst, I lose my slowest boxen for a month, the price I pay to take on a commercial pharmer...

If he chooses to accept the cruncher, I'll replace it with a 2 GHz AMD cruncher and add it to my 'Stack' :)

At best, we get 2.8 GHz of AMD power added to Free-DC for a month :cheers:

He's going to have to add at least 15-20 GHz more to beat us, good for the project! :thumbs:
Then again, we may have scared off that 1200lb gorilla, in which case :moon: :D ;)
Or maybe he just figures it's not worth all the work it will take, in which case :moon: :moon: :moon: :jester:

gopher_yarrowzoo
08-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Ah Im glad you seen the light IB :D
Hmm how about this a gauntlet like the Seti Gaunlet we had.. 2 teams one against the other... Crunching and Folding, no using "stashed" units so you can like erm do a major :dump: at some point and erm "upset" things...

Hmm so how about it, I couldn't unless it was seti cos that's the only Project I got running and I only really got the one boxen I can use 24/7....

bguinto1
08-11-2003, 04:57 PM
I will put up an AMD cruncher for the gauntlet :D

XP1600 (1.4 GHz), 1 stick of Mushkin 512mb PC2100 DDR w/heat spreader, SK6 all copper HSF, HDD, Video card and 3Com NIC.
Burned in and used 24/7 as a cruncher, runs all clients with ease.

If PCZ and I should lose, (and we won't) I will donate this fine running system, minus case and PS because of shipping weight, to bguinto1 or to whom ever he wishes.

OR, I will put it on Ars TCC for ONE MONTH using any 'handle' bguinto1 requests me to use, in a personal email to me. :thumbs:

If we win, (and we will), bguinto1 has to put up an equivelant system and use our Free-DC Anonymous account using the following handle 92psu8co for ONE MONTH. :)

If PCZ is willing to match this offer, then bguinto1 will have to put up TWO equivalent
systems on the Free-DC Anonymous account for ONE MONTH :D

IronBits, I accept your revised wager with the following modifications/clarifications:

If I win, you and PCZ must each "donate" a XP1600 system for crunching DF under the Ars-technica Banner for 1 month. Please setup a new account with the following account name: ROADKILL

If I lose, I will put up 2 1.4 Ghz P3 server with 2GB of RAM and crunch DF for Free-DC under the handle 92psu8co for 1 month.

Also the following conditions must be met.

1) I will require at least 9 days from after the next client changeover to begin. If there are any problems with the client updates, it normally takes me at least a week to get my farm up and running again. I've been crunching DF since the Phase 1 days and I always have issues during changeover. Very rarely does more than 5% of my servers update correctly.

2) The next client must be stable. If the client is as unstable as the last changeover, the maintenance time is too high to keep a high number of instances running. Essentially, if the client can't run more than 72hours without user involvement, than I think we should agree that the client is not stable. (I understand that this could be a point of contention, this is also why I'm asking for at least 9 days after the change over, so we can all agree on the stability or lack there of of the client, prior to beginning this gauntlet.) If the client is not stable, then I may leave this project permanently or at the very least not pay attention to it.

3) Gauntlet must run for at least 3 weeks. 4 weeks would be ideal for me. Let me know if you think this is too long or too short.

Let me know what you think.

rsbriggs
08-11-2003, 05:34 PM
If the client is not stable, then I may leave this project permanently or at the very least not pay attention to it.

While some Free-DC'ers might initially applaud this happening, once they thought it through a little bit they would realize that it would:

A.) crush the ARS team - probably leading to the loss of additional ARS crunchers.
B.) be a terrible blow to the project, and the fact of the matter is, it would be
C.) a very bad thing to happen... Think about it - nope - not a good thing at all.

Here's hoping the next client is stable and the changeover goes smoothly.....

(Also - my answer to us possibly losing. If the Free-DC team DOES lose the guantlet, I will, personally, bring up another 6 boxen, @ 2400+ minimium, 2 to replace the lost output, 2 to offset the output moved to the opposite side, and an extra 2, just because I will be so pissed.)

whilden@ars
08-11-2003, 07:04 PM
bguinto1

I like IB's guantlet (that way no hard feelings between two teams that get along), so go kick some freebie arse.

Also, (I have said this in IRC a few times to pointwood) your dedication to DF has been better then any cruncher Ars and Non-ars. I would hate to see you leave the project but if you do, please join Ars another in battle such as ecc2 at least until the DF client improves. I hate wasted GHZ, and if you do take this route ... I will add my complete work farm which will hopefully move from 85ghz to 100ghz within the next month to DF..... and maybe give you a run for #1.

:cheers: Crunch On! Looking forward to the guantlet.

Cmarc
08-11-2003, 08:39 PM
This gauntlet sounds fun. I'm looking forward to see you guys go at it.

I'd suggest one minor change to the rules: the winner chooses the ID the looser will crunch under.

Should give just that little extra incentive to win :D

good luck to all!

Cheers,
Marc

rsbriggs
08-11-2003, 09:11 PM
That's already been decided on. Either the Free-DC anonymous account, or the ARS ROADKILL handle....

IronBits
08-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Very well then! :cheers: :D
I have a few amendments and concerns, but we are very close :thumbs:

1) I need to consult with PCZ and check with my team mates, especially those that do a lot of benchmarks to make sure that an Intel P3 1.4 GHz is capable of the same output as an AMD XP1600 1.4GHz. ;)
Just to make sure we would receive, what we would give, you understand. :p :)

2) 100% agreement on client stability concerns!!!

3) IF the client is stable on Wednesday, 9 days later would put it on the following next week Friday, is that good for you? EST/PST start time?
Because you will have the most difficulty, I'll let you choose the day and time to start.

4) Gauntlet length - 9 days after next Wednesday + 4 weeks might run us into the next protein release.
We do not want to run into another protein or client release! :scared:

5) Starting Gate I think when the time comes, the THREE of us should be up to a full head of steam by then, so there should be no surprise dumping along the way, or at the end...
I know that client output is akin to the waves of the Pacific Ocean ;)
But a steady daily/weekly output will be apparent :D

6) Master Dyyryath should create the Gauntlet Stats for the 3 of us to watch, but, the official stats should be used as the final word.
I noticed the *offical* STATS are updated 2 minutes after the hour of every hour.
The start and finish stats totals for all three of us should be taken 1 minute later.
Totals taken at the start and finish time, 3 minutes after the hour, will be the official count.
Or something like that ;)

Comments?
PCZ, jump in man, it's your skin to :D
Question begs to be answered....
Just how BIG and lazy is this dog? :p ;) and does it hunt? ;) :D
There is no shame in our game, home growns vs commercial - what a compliment! :|party|: :notworthy
:drums:

IronBits, I accept your revised wager with the following modifications/clarifications:

If I win, you and PCZ must each "donate" a XP1600 system for crunching DF under the Ars-technica Banner for 1 month. Please setup a new account with the following account name: ROADKILL

If I lose, I will put up 2 1.4 Ghz P3 server with 2GB of RAM and crunch DF for Free-DC under the handle 92psu8co for 1 month.

Also the following conditions must be met.

1) I will require at least 9 days from after the next client changeover to begin.

2) The next client must be stable.

3) Gauntlet must run for at least 3 weeks. 4 weeks would be ideal for me. Let me know if you think this is too long or too short.

Let me know what you think.

PCZ
08-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Sounds OK

Let me get things straight.
There is an update on Wednesday, we wait 9 days to see if its stable.
We gauntlet for 4 weeks, maybe less if there is a possibility of running into the next
protein.

So I have time to get the farm up to full speed, its not at its best at the moment.
Is dumping allowed ?
Are small dumps acceptable?

PCZ
08-11-2003, 10:23 PM
I forgot to mention that the P3 Tutalin with 512k cache is a strong performer
and in my opinion is as good as the XP1600. This is based on the assumption that the P3 1.4 in question is the S variant and not the celeron or 256k cache non SMP version.

IronBits
08-11-2003, 10:26 PM
I would think it perfectly OK to have small dumps, after all, sometimes the internet goes down, some boxen may have to work off net, and the client itself sometimes gets constipated.
That's why I mentioned the daily/weekly rates will show good averages.
Last thing I want to see is a large surprise dump at the end... from any of us.
It's one of the reasons why I didn't want the stakes too high.
Just enough to keep us 'honest' :)

We may end up eating ROADKILL on this one, but it won't be for lack of trying on my part. :thumbs:
I want to see ALL three of us with the ALL the CARDS on the table :D

IronBits
08-11-2003, 10:48 PM
/me raises right hand and swears.
I will not give out my handle to anyone, nor will I accept offers of help from anyone.

It will be FUN to see what ALL the boxen I have at my disposal can do when focused on just ONE project for a change :D
:sleepy:

Paratima
08-11-2003, 11:11 PM
:shocked: ALL of 'em?

rsbriggs
08-11-2003, 11:20 PM
That might put a crimp in some of the other projects. :(

Hey - are we certain this isn't just an attempt by ARS to get a jump on us in something other than DF, by having IB pull his boxen out? Better double check ALL the other DC stats to make certain there isn't something sneaky going on here... :D

Cmarc
08-11-2003, 11:31 PM
You mean you're ahead of us in another project :scared: ;) :p

Cheers,
Marc

IronBits
08-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
Sounds OK

Let me get things straight.
There is an update on Wednesday, we wait 9 days to see if its stable.
We gauntlet for 4 weeks, maybe less if there is a possibility of running into the next
protein.

So I have time to get the farm up to full speed, its not at its best at the moment.
Is dumping allowed ?
Are small dumps acceptable? So how many days does it take you to pull 120 GHz out of the closet, dust it off and plug it in anways? <sheesh> :D

bguinto1
08-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Very well then! :cheers: :D
I have a few amendments and concerns, but we are very close :thumbs:

1) I need to consult with PCZ and check with my team mates, especially those that do a lot of benchmarks to make sure that an Intel P3 1.4 GHz is capable of the same output as an AMD XP1600 1.4GHz. ;)
Just to make sure we would receive, what we would give, you understand. :p :)

2) 100% agreement on client stability concerns!!!

3) IF the client is stable on Wednesday, 9 days later would put it on the following next week Friday, is that good for you? EST/PST start time?
Because you will have the most difficulty, I'll let you choose the day and time to start.

4) Gauntlet length - 9 days after next Wednesday + 4 weeks might run us into the next protein release.
We do not want to run into another protein or client release! :scared:

5) Starting Gate I think when the time comes, the THREE of us should be up to a full head of steam by then, so there should be no surprise dumping along the way, or at the end...
I know that client output is akin to the waves of the Pacific Ocean ;)
But a steady daily/weekly output will be apparent :D

6) Master Dyyryath should create the Gauntlet Stats for the 3 of us to watch, but, the official stats should be used as the final word.
I noticed the *offical* STATS are updated 2 minutes after the hour of every hour.
The start and finish stats totals for all three of us should be taken 1 minute later.
Totals taken at the start and finish time, 3 minutes after the hour, will be the official count.
Or something like that ;)

Comments?
PCZ, jump in man, it's your skin to :D
Question begs to be answered....
Just how BIG and lazy is this dog? :p ;) and does it hunt? ;) :D
There is no shame in our game, home growns vs commercial - what a compliment! :|party|: :notworthy
:drums:

1) It's a P3 with 512K, it should be equivalent, but I'll increase it to 2 2-way 1.2 Ghz P3 Servers. 1 Server for each of you.

2) 3) 4) We'll agree on client stability 7 days after release of client? So the Gauntlet commitment date would be approximately 12:00 noon PST August 20. Let me know if you are both in agreement. Once we all commit there is no backing out, unless of course there are catastophic client or stats difficulties. Once we are in agreement, shall we say that the Gauntlet starts on Friday, Aug 22 12:00 noon PST? And will end in exactly 4 weeks time (Sept. 19 12:00 noon) or 1 day before the next protein/client changeover at 12 noon, which ever comes first?

5) Agreed. As you probably know, it is way too cumbersome to hoard points when there are dozens if not hundreds of instances of the client running. I automatically update so there will be no gigantic dumps from me unless of course the project servers go down. Also, I too promise not to share my handle! :D

6) Agreed. Major props to Dyyryath if he could lend his most skillful hand. :notworthy :notworthy

Good luck to the both of you! :cheers:

IronBits
08-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Hardware/production bounty sounds fair :)

Let's make sure we have this correct...

The Gauntlet commitment date is approximately 12:00 noon PST August 20
If there are no nays, then it's a go. We might be busy... ;)

If there are NO client woes and all parties agree to take their gloves off... ;)

Gauntlet starts on Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:00 noon PST
And will end in exactly 4 weeks time on Sept. 19 12:00 noon PST
or 1 day before the next protein/client change over at 12 noon PST, which ever comes first.

Rumor has it there will be a slight ramp up after the starting gun sounds ;) :whistle:
That's ok with me, so long as the majority of it is online by midnight PST of the start date and continues thruout the gauntlet...

Be there or be square! oh, and be sure and bring your cards :p ;)

Thanks bguinto1 :thumbs: :notworthy
Tell LemonBoy (lemonsqzz from Sun Microsystems) to watch his back the next time you see him ;) :rotfl:

And it wouldn't be right if I didn't do the obligitory :moon: :D
:kiss: :hifi:

pointwood
08-12-2003, 02:25 AM
w00t!

This is going to be so cool! :smoking:

IronBits
08-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
(Also - my answer to us possibly losing. If the Free-DC team DOES lose the guantlet, I will, personally, bring up another 6 boxen, @ 2400+ minimium, 2 to replace the lost output, 2 to offset the output moved to the opposite side, and an extra 2, just because I will be so pissed.) Feel the LOVE:kiss:
:smoking: :cheers: :thumbs: :elephant:

PCZ
08-12-2003, 03:25 AM
This hobby will make me very poor

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz SoA £50.64 x5 £297.51
SoA VIA KT266 ATX A L £24.69 x5 £145.05
AMD/P4 300W Silent 12V ATX PSU £12.50 x5 £73.43

Order Handling Charge 1 £4.70

Total £520.69

Should arrive in a few days

rsbriggs
08-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Feel the LOVE:kiss:
:smoking: :cheers: :thumbs: :elephant: :kiss: :D
Seems like the "normal" reaction would be to pull out of the project, or turn off the computers, or go somewhere else, or something. But *NO* - I would just go buy more computers...

This hobby will make me very poor You and me, both.... oh - you forgot to include the cost of a few sticks of fast RAM for those... (Or are these just replacements for boxen fried by that nice English heatwave taking place?)

PCZ
08-12-2003, 05:23 AM
This heatwave should end soon I hope.

I have quite a few sticks of Sdram left over from upgrades.
The MB's I ordered can take either DDR or Sdram.
There is probably a performance hit with Sdram but I can live with it.

IronBits
08-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
This hobby will make me very poor

Athlon XP 2400+ 2Ghz SoA £50.64 x5 £297.51
SoA VIA KT266 ATX A L £24.69 x5 £145.05
AMD/P4 300W Silent 12V ATX PSU £12.50 x5 £73.43

Order Handling Charge 1 £4.70

Total £520.69

Should arrive in a few days :shocked:
:hifi: Way to go partner!!! :D

gopher_yarrowzoo
08-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Hmm Sniff yeah I'll try and keep an Eye on Team Ars on Seti, I got a feeling they are gonna do something SNeaky... real Sneaky... hmm
Other than that All I gotta say is
:scared: GO IB :smoking: GO IB :smoking: GO PCZ :smoking: GO PCZ:scared:

(never thought I would be wanting old pink skirted IB to kick ass but hey lol)
and OUCH at poor

pointwood
08-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by gopher_yarrowzoo
(never thought I would be wanting old pink skirted IB to kick ass but hey lol)
Bwhahaha :rotfl:

mr_mann
08-14-2003, 04:26 AM
i only want IB to kick ass for this thing then i want to kick his ass :) (I WISH)

PCZ
08-14-2003, 04:45 AM
IB

How about we let Beth133 take on the big guy all by himself :D

IronBits
08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Heck ya! Go Beth133 :|party|: :D ;)
or Dyyryath or xj10bt for that matter :rotfl:
If they did that, then you and I could slink off to OGR-25 and go after that Ars team :D :lmao:

IronBits
08-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Just thinking out loud ...

Howard says
08/13/2003
- Our new protein is underway, we are now studying the folding of Protein G, soon to be followed by Protein L. These are small, well-characterized proteins

I'm not sure that this protein, nor the next small protein, would make for good gauntlet material in that, about the time we get started, it will be time for a new protein change.
Also bguinto1 is having some problems getting the clients to autoupdate, and may hinder his participation...

thoughts? comments?

pointwood
08-14-2003, 10:45 AM
I think you you're just trying to buy some time :lmao:

bguinto1
08-14-2003, 02:40 PM
IB and PCZ, as you can proabably tell from the stats, my clients didn't update again. I'm going to go on vacation now, but I'll be back after the weekend. Looking at the scores, it seems like this client is much faster, so I'm going to try to manual update as many of my servers today, so I don't lose too much ground, but I won't be fully ramped until Wednesday at the earliest.

I am assuming that the gauntlet is still on, despite my bitching that I was going to quit if this changeover didn't happen smoothly. :scratch:

IronBits
08-14-2003, 02:50 PM
We are game if you are :gone: :D
Have a great vacation! You're gonna NEED that rest! ;) :rotfl:
:smoking:

rsbriggs
08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
And the other issue - this is appearing to be a very fast protein, and the next one should be just as fast.

Is is even going to be possible to start a week from now and still have 3-4 weeks before the next change-over? Looks to me like we've completed nearly 14% of it already, in less than 24 hours.

Have a good vacation - looks like we'll be bringing up more GigaHurtz (tm) while you're gone, but hey, don't worry about it - just relax.... :D

IronBits
08-15-2003, 09:41 AM
What he said, by the time we take the gloves off, the bell will sound and a new protein that's just as fast will get released. Me may need to postpone until we get a SLOW one or something ;)
And because this is a 1 sided 'tag team' match, I vote we have A99 in our corner! :D

rsbriggs
08-15-2003, 09:43 AM
And who knows when the Hospital research network (and East coast in general) are going to be back up..... :eek:

cygnussphere
08-15-2003, 11:53 AM
What he said, by the time we take the gloves off, the bell will sound and a new protein that's just as fast will get released. Me may need to postpone until we get a SLOW one or something ;)
And because this is a 1 sided 'tag team' match, I vote we have A99 in our corner! :D

At the very least A99 should be the ring announcer:thumbs:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Anarchy99
08-16-2003, 04:13 PM
I am somehow just now getting the impression that the last post was one of a few things

1. offensive

2. uncalled for

3. out of line

4. beyond the boundary of humor

or all of the above

no one posted after it so I think I got the hint

I will refrain from further outbursts of that kind of humor and will remove it

my apologies

tim
08-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Now you're REALLY trying to be funny. I was having a ball reading that stuff. This forum is "trash talk" after all, not "polite witticisms."

Cmon cmon cmon, paste it back, puhleeze?

Even if you don't paste it back,

don't go changin' . . .
to try and please me . . .

or else we'll have to call you

"Slightly irrationally exuberant 99"

Good Lord, I hope not!

Paratima
08-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Must be the new meds. :rolleyes:

Anarchy99
08-16-2003, 06:11 PM
I dont know tim, I think maybe I walked the line a little too close with that one

but I suppose if I had gone too far the powers that be would have let me know, so here it is again and we,ll see if it goes over better this time :rolleyes:

Anarchy99
08-16-2003, 06:12 PM
hello everyone and welcome to "SMACKDOWN ARENA" I am A99 and I will be hosting and giving the play by play or should I say "SMACK by SMACK" commentary from ringside along with my multiple personalities and long time psychotic imaginary friend "bone saw"

we are here at the beautiful "SMACKDOWN ARENA" in whoop-ass county Arkansas awaiting the arrival of our contestants for what is touted as the beat down of the millennium.

personality #1: yes this promises to be as exciting if not more than the gun touting kindergarten teacher who held the pudding factory workers hostage for dang near an hour A99.

bone saw: lets crack some skulls

A99: yes we hope to see some amazing feat's of carnage and mob like justice here at this wonderful new arena built specifically for capitol punishment but now renovated for family fun and amusement.

personality #2: I have to pee

bone saw: lets punch a nun and get on with it

A99: stay tuned folks this only gets better, and now a message from our sponsor.

sponsor: do you have an unruly child, or an elderly parent who just doesn't listen. well there is help, we at beatdown industries would like to introduce our newest product for administering discipline

the "frontal lobotomizer" made from treated and hardened southern pine its just the thing for restoring order and making things right again. so when you aren't getting your point across with common sense and hooked on phonics isn't giving you the results you need then one little tap with "frontal lobotomizer" at the base of the skull and your worries are over. so get some sleep tonight in peace and quiet crack some skulls and make it right again with the "frontal lobotomizer".

disclaimer: may not be suitable for children 21 or older, don't use in anger or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, do not use if you are under the care of a physician treating you with psychotropic drugs, may cause brain damage.

stay tuned for more exciting coverage of "SMACKDOWN ARENA"

IronBits
08-16-2003, 06:50 PM
:thumbs: :notworthy :cheers:

tim
08-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Ahhhhh . . . beautiful.

I sit back and flop my belly over my belt. My recommended daily allowance of humor has been satisfied. I've just finished a steak dinner of humor. And if you are a humor vegetarian, please don't bother the rest of us while we're enjoying what life has to offer. Belch. Pardon me.

And I am really looking forward to A99's ringside commentary. I've read here on the boards about legendary gauntlets and challenges, and I've never seen one first hand. Perhaps A99's commentary will be instructive as well, both for those who've never seen a gauntlet and for those who don't know about folding proteins.

So back to the matter at hand. I want all the blow by blow, the starting gun, the finish line, the whole kittencaboodle. This is going to be a hoot! :D And back into the woodwork quietly I go.

gopher_yarrowzoo
08-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Can ya Smell what A99 is Coooookkkkiiing? :D
Hmm Smells like someone's Boxen (now your only meant to Slow roast them A99) ;) do it slowly so the opposition don't notice ;)
Oh And keep up the Good Work :thumbs: :thumbs:

IB & PCZ :machgun: the opposition

bguinto1
08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
IB and PCZ, I agree we should postpone our little gauntlet until the client is slower.

Anarchy99
08-18-2003, 06:12 PM
hello ladies and gentlemen and welcome back to "SMACKDOWN ARENA"

we have all been eagerly awaiting some news from our contestants prospective camps and have sent our locker room reporter bonesaw down to the locker room to find out just what is happening, bonesaw

bonesaw: well it looks like we have a couple of worried mothers down here

A99: worried mothers?

bonesaw: ya they must be looking for there crying little girls cause there aren't any fighters down here

personality 2: now lets be nice bonesaw, I still have to pee

bonesaw: shut-up or Ill snap off your head and use the goo as sweet and sour sauce on your baby back ribs geek

personality 1: this just in the gun toting kindergarten teacher has let one of the pudding factory workers go in exchange for an autographed copy of charles Manson's new novel "how to kill a village"

A99 : any reports on when we will start to see some smackdown action bonesaw

bonesaw: last we heard both sides were leaving the arena one manager said that his boy heard his mom calling and the other had to be home before the street lights came on

A99: street lights WTF and heard his mom calling what in the h*^% is going on

A99: well folks it looks like as a back up we are going to be treated to "petula bowbricker" the daughter of porky's "bula bula bowbricker", mud wrestling a local elementary school lunch lady tag team the "Salisbury sisters"

personality 2: I just wet myself

bonesaw: I warned you twerp

personality 2: let go of my skull

A99: we will try to get some more info on the disappointing "runaway and hide" tactics that has turned this "SMACKDOWN" into a "FALLDOWN" and cry

stay tuned for tonights prime-time investigative report "interview with a man who has exclusive video of david copperfield locking his keys in his car"

tim
08-19-2003, 01:42 AM
I too am disappointed. I think I understand the reason, though, that they want a consistent task during the contest.

[whining section] but I wanted the epic battle! I wanted the blow by blow commentary! I hate delayed gratification. I want it all, and I want it now! [end whining section]

I look forward to a slower client and a renewed gauntlet. And the insightful commentary.