PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 9.1 help

Fozzie
08-09-2003, 08:10 AM
OK guys you convinced me to have ago and TBH it is very good looking and easy to get around.

One thing though it doesn't seem to have detected both CPUs.

In hardrake only one is listed.

Is there an uptomp.exe type process so i can get them both on the case.

Cheers

Foz'nix :cool:

rshepard
08-09-2003, 08:30 AM
From what I understand, it should pick up the processors during the install-- try this:
open a terminal window and issue the command uname -a
This will return the kernel version. If it ends in "smp" then the kernel is compiled for dual procs.

I run Mandrake, but not on any duallies, so I can't address why it doesn't show in harddrake---maybe someone else will know.

Fozzie
08-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Configure the Internet connection no sweat and I rally like the look and feel of Galeon.

Downloaded the client and extracted the files to a new folder.

Then the message I got is core dump foldtrajlite ....

Must be doing something wrong as it bombed on Red hat when i installed it there.

I have a Linux Jinx

bwkaz
08-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Do you have two processors, or just a hyperthreading one? If you have two processors, then the problem is most likely that the kernel that Mandrake installed was configured for a single-processor machine when they built it.

If you have a hyperthreading machine, then I know of at least one other person that sees the same thing -- only one processor is listed in /proc/cpuinfo (open a terminal and cat /proc/cpuinfo to see it), even though they have the dual CPU emulation stuff turned on in their BIOS.

If foldtrajlite is core dumping... what happens if you run it from a terminal? ./foldit should work, from the directory you extracted it to.

IronBits
08-09-2003, 11:09 AM
If it is an AMD computer, and you have the option in BIOS, choose MPS 1.1, not 1.4 ;)

Fozzie
08-10-2003, 05:44 AM
It has twin Pentium pros but only one shows up in HardDrake. I had the same error on install as Chinasaur but I don't know hiow he fixed his.

Can't get inot the BIOS as there is no diags partition created on the HD (old Compaq idea that one)

So whilst it looks nice and runs OK it doesn't run with both CPUs as far as I can see.

I am reinstalling as I type this but still had the same smp kernel error on install.

Will try the download again of the df client.

Fozzie
08-10-2003, 06:55 AM
I have tried typing urpmi kernel-smp at the # prompt in a terminal, this seems to go through the necessary motions but I get and Input/Output error and it fails to install.

It can't be incompatible hardware as it detects one. Is the dual cpu kernel borked on this release.

I can't beleive its that.

Chinasaur
08-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Fozzie,

Let me know and I'll ship you Mandrake 8.1. Mandrake 9.x I've never liked and don't run it or recommend it. Others love it and swear by it not at it.

Your mileage is varying like mine. I can also send a copy of Knoppix which is what my dual machine runs right now using a Win98 disk in Read/Write mode. It correctly detects duals.

Let me know and I'll get the discs mailed to you on Monday or Tuesday. PM with address if you do.

Fozzie
08-10-2003, 11:32 AM
It takes me a fair amount of time to download ISOs on dial up. :cool:

I'll PM my address.

Dyyryath
08-10-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm wondering if it doesn't like your Pentium Pros. I've got Mandrake (versions 8.2 through 9.1) on a variety of dual processor boxes at work and it runs great. I've got an old Intergraph dual PPro 200 here. I'll fire it up and see how it acts with Mandrake 9.1...

You may also want to use the gcc compiled version of the DF client on that box instead of the Intel compiled one. On some older machines, I discovered that the Intel version would seg fault immediately where the gcc version would run fine.

Angus
08-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Well, I'm pretty pleased with Mandrake so far :)

Got the 9.1 ISOs DL'd and burned yesterday, installed it just now, and it seems to be working painlessly on the new AMD box, with the nVIDIA onboard nic, and the new GForce vid card.

Already crunching DF on it!

Thanks to everyone who recommended Mandrake :notworthy

Fozzie
08-11-2003, 03:58 AM
I installed it on my AMD box and it runs smooth.

Still can't run DF on it though.

I think I have treied both clients Intel and gcc.

I think the dual processor issue is a known one but for some reason I can't access the support area of the Mandrake site to see the paper I saw a link to.

Oh well back to MicroShaft for me for the time being.

rsbriggs
08-15-2003, 07:46 AM
Why can't you run DF on it ? Only picking up one processor?

What does a uname -a show you ? Does it show SMP in the kernel name?

Mandrake is designed more for beginners - it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have SMP support compiled into the kernel, or that they think people running multiple processors can afford to join their "club", so they don't provide SMP for free...

When you install Red Hat, it places a selection for both an SMP and a regular kernel into the bootloader selection screen, with the SMP kernel loading by default.

Fozzie
08-16-2003, 03:32 PM
I am running Mandrake on my XP2000 box and I really like it. Hopefully the older mandrake from Chinasaur will work on my Dual Pentium Pro box as i would really like it running something other than Win2k.

Dyyryath how did that intergraph run?

Cheers Mr Briggs, i have tried an old version of Red hat and it ran really well but the inerface looks a bit dated compared to Mandrake 9.1

I'll see if I can get hold of the newer ISOs sometime and have another lash.

The thing I really like about the distros I've installed is the short time it takes.

Downloading the DF client as I speak on mandrake. I am using it to type this too. :-)

I'll see if I can run it.

Fozzie
08-16-2003, 03:38 PM
I am a Linux Jinx

Try to run the DF client as it says to the letter in the readme and this is what I get.

./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot op
en shared object file: No such file or directory

rshepard
08-16-2003, 03:58 PM
This is a known bug:

If when trying to run this version you get an error about libcurses.so.4 not being found, you may simply make a symbolic link from libcurses.so.5. Try the following:

> locate libcurses.so
(you see the full path of where the curses library is, such as:)
/usr/lib/libcurses.so.5
> cd /usr/lib
> ln -s libcurses.so.5 libcurses.so.4

This should make the missing library message go away.

rsbriggs
08-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Fozzie
I am a Linux Jinx

Try to run the DF client as it says to the letter in the readme and this is what I get.

./foldtrajlite: error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot op
en shared object file: No such file or directory

Yeah - nothing to worry about. Anyone that runs multiple flavors of Linux has seen that error more than once :)

Just make the softlink. The reason DF uses an older version of the library is to support other, older versions. You just fool it into thinking that the old version is there - and it uses the newer library just fine...

Fozzie
08-17-2003, 10:35 AM
gents.

I really wanted to get Linux working

I'll let you know how it goes.

As long as the instructions are Newbie Linux user proof.

IronBits
08-17-2003, 11:35 AM
FYI -
With SuSe Linux 8.2, I was able to run the icc version of the DF client and did not have to do a soft link for the library ;)

Angus
08-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Ditto what IB said, the icc version ran 'out of the box' on Mandrake 9.1

Chinasaur
08-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Fozzie,

My very very very bad :( :help: :haddock:

I didn't get the Mandrake 8.1 in the mail before I left for Vacation. I'm sorry bro.

I'll mail first thing when I get back on Friday or Saturday if you still want it.

Dyyryath
08-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Fozzie, I got up with other stuff over the last couple of days & didn't get the Intergraph setup. I'm loading it now. I should be able to tell you something one way or the other in about an hour. ;)