PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Building a Duallie

Paratima
08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Here's the deal: I've got a place where I can put one (1) and only one (1) box. This box will (ostensibly) be doing software production and testing work under Win2K or maybe XP-Pro. I, myself, get to build this box. Being as how I can only put one (1) in this particular location, naturally, I want it to run DC projects (probably DF) as fast as it possibly can. I want it to SCORCH anything near it! :D

I have NO experience building duallies, although I've built a several dozen one-banger boxen. I have used both Tyan and Gigabyte boards before & I like 'em. The candidates for this build are:

TYAN k7X Pro - S2466 and Gigabyte 7DPXDW

Both use the AMD 760 chipset, which I've come to love. Both support all the usual stuff ya need in a general-purpose box. Both cost around the same ($200 for the board itself). I plan to use about a gig of RAM, XP-2600's with Coolermaster copper heat-pipe HSF, and dual-screen video. The RAID on the Gigabyte is a nice extra, but I may go with hot-pluggable SCSI anyhow, so I'm not sure it's a real consideration. NOT OC'd!

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations? Horror stories? You name it. Take your best shot!

PS. It's OK to say, "Hey, dummy. If what you know is singles, how come you want double-trouble?" :p

dragongoddess
08-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Try this site. Dual systems is what they live for and specialize in.
http://forums.2cpu.com/

TheOtherPhil
08-14-2003, 05:29 PM
The K7X Pro is actually the S2469. It is more suited to being rack mounted as it has angled DIMM slots but it is by far the better of the 2 boards.

pfb
08-14-2003, 05:32 PM
I have the Gigabyte paired with 2 2400+ MPs - nice and stable and folding quite well...a very nice and clean board to work with :)

Paratima
08-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Dragongoddess. I did go there and I've got a LOT more reading to do!

Thanks, Phil & pfb. Heh! You each seem pretty pleased with the boards you've got. Guess that's what makes a horse race. :D

I suppose that with one good recommendation each, I've just got to read the specs & pick one or the other. It's good to hear, though, that neither is an absolute dog. What I was really fishing for, was if anyone knew anything really bad about either one. That not being the case, it's homework time!

Thanks again.