PDA

View Full Version : Error with new app & protein

deranged128[OCAU]
08-13-2003, 11:14 PM
I had all 5 of my boxen changeover to the new app/protein combination this morning.

One of these PCs (PIII 1.0Ghz) has faltered with the following error:

FATAL ERROR: CoreLib [002.005] {ncbifile.c, line 715} File write error

I checked the bugs section of the web-site but didn't see it listed.

Haven't done anything with the folder in which it is installed nor attempted to restart it (got it running something else for the time).

Can someone let me know what the error means and what steps I take to remedy it please. :help:

Brian the Fist
08-14-2003, 10:59 AM
This means either your disk partition is full or you dont have write permissions. What is your OS and check if your disk partitions (ANY) are full. Also do you have restricted access to certain dirs?

deranged128[OCAU]
08-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks Howard,

In reply:

OS = NT 4.0 Server, Access = Administrator

This was one of 2 instances of DF running on this dual CPU PC. Both instances reside on the primary partition of 3.0 GB with approx 445 MB free (most is used by the page file as PC has 2.0 GB of ram)

Could well be a problem when large print jobs get spooled, I will transfer application to the other partition (33 GB) and run from there.

rsbriggs
08-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
This means either your disk partition is full or you dont have write permissions. What is your OS and check if your disk partitions (ANY) are full. Also do you have restricted access to certain dirs?

Howard,

I'm receiving a similar error on a net-booted Linux machine. Since things are NFS mounted, it is possible that something is mounted ro, rather than read-write. Which partititon might be a problem and/or which dirs???? It just says "file write error" without naming the file....

bwkaz
08-14-2003, 10:06 PM
I think the only two that would matter would be /tmp and the partition you installed DF to. It needs to be able to write to both of those.

On Windows, it used to need to write to c:\winnt (or c:\windows), but I believe that's been fixed now.

Welnic
08-15-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
Howard,

I'm receiving a similar error on a net-booted Linux machine. Since things are NFS mounted, it is possible that something is mounted ro, rather than read-write. Which partititon might be a problem and/or which dirs???? It just says "file write error" without naming the file....

The net boot setup that I used had the /tmp directory in a 1MB RAM disk as the stock setup. dFold needs to write about 8MBs into /tmp. I had to make a /tmp directory on the NFS server for each node.

rsbriggs
08-15-2003, 05:14 AM
yes - the problem was /tmp
Increased size to 32768K, and all is well...