PDA

View Full Version : dfQ - What new features (limited time offer)?

m0ti
08-19-2003, 03:02 AM
The next version of dfQ is almost ready; the only big question remaining is what kind of stats support people want?

1) Plain text file listing timestamp, client IP's and whether the transfer was successful

2) Like 1 but with a nicer HTML format.

3) Static HTML served up (accessible over the web). Updated every few minutes.

4) Dynamic web-content (sorts, filters, etc). Real-time data.

5) Applet serving up real-time data with extra functionality (graphs too, perhaps).

Obviously 1/2 are the quickest to do, but 4/5 could be very pretty.

A second question:

Is a backup feature very important at the server (i.e. auto transfer all incoming files to a backup directory / to another server)? The backup would be in case you need to resubmit files for any reason (mind you, a single server can handle a lot of clients and a backup could get very large, very quickly).

pointwood
08-19-2003, 03:16 AM
I wish I had any use for this cool utility :cry:

It sounds really cool :smoking:

djp
08-27-2003, 09:07 AM
I favor minimal bells & whistles.

Sadly though, my folding farm has been reassigned to another working team.

200+GHz was nice while it lasted.

^7_of_9
08-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by m0ti
The next version of dfQ is almost ready; the only big question remaining is what kind of stats support people want?

1) Plain text file listing timestamp, client IP's and whether the transfer was successful

5) Applet serving up real-time data with extra functionality (graphs too, perhaps).

A second question:

Is a backup feature very important at the server (i.e. auto transfer all incoming files to a backup directory / to another server)? The backup would be in case you need to resubmit files for any reason (mind you, a single server can handle a lot of clients and a backup could get very large, very quickly).

3 with an option of 4 would be nice.

MarcyDarcy
08-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Good to see that you're still working on the dfQ. :cheers:
I'm going for option 3 or 4 :)

5 would be the bom ofcourse :notworthy

^7_of_9
08-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by m0ti

A second question:

I didn't pick Option 5 and didn't say Option 4 as my first choice personally for a reason in case anyone was wondering. The amount of CPU Cycles that would be used on such a system could affect the crunching pretty good :D That means less data! :scared:

Also with the backup option I use NTbackup myself for backups. I'm sure most people who would run such a program as DFQ would be running this on a full time server that is pretty stable overall. Which means they would (or at least they SHOULD BE) running some kind of backups on it daily anyways. Remember Backups are our friend :D