PDA

View Full Version : Vey slow upload

kirkr
08-19-2003, 02:42 PM
It's taking between 3-10 min/generation for upload. Is this normal? I have a machine with 197 generations buffered and it seems impossible to finish.

HansArne
08-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Just uploaded ca 400 generations.
5-10 sec pr. gen. (56Kb modem)
No problems here

tpdooley
08-19-2003, 10:19 PM
have you checked for the MS-Blaster worm?

visit www.norton.com for a removal tool; and links to MS patches for Win NT OSes (4.0, 2k, XP) - in case you've gotten infected with something eating up your bandwidth..

kirkr
09-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Problem appears to be firewall; I'll have to take the data home to upload.

TyOI
10-12-2003, 07:19 AM
TyOI

has a solution to the slow uploads been found yet

that i know of there are no viruses on the cluster, no problems with the firewall all systems are either running Win XP Pro or Win2K Pro and have a min or 256Mb Ram each

the only problem i have with DF is it takes an eternity to upload and this is the reason I do very little on this project meantime

solve the upload problem and you can have 30 CPU working 24/7 on the project

Regards
Tom

Paratima
10-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Sorry, TyOI. As responsive as the admins on this client are (and they are very responsive), it is clear that they have never tried to upload a large block of results over a dialup connection, especially on the day of a protein change, with the kids waiting transport to a soccer game, dinner on the stove, and the dog scratching at the door. If they had, we would have a system that rapidly accepts your block of results into a temp file, prints "The Mount Sinai Hospital Distributed Folding Research Project has just received 723 results from user <<TyOI>>. These results will now be checked for validity and added to our database. Credit for your work will be posted at the next stats update. Thanks and have a nice day." The response would be disabled for single-unit uploads, as from an always-on user.

As it stands, they have only envisioned complete point-of-entry validation and processing and that's what we have. I should point out in their defense, that it's a LOT more work to do post-processing. Sure would speed up the online interface, though.

TyOI
10-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Sorry, TyOI. As responsive as the admins on this client are (and they are very responsive), it is clear that they have never tried to upload a large block of results over a dialup connection, especially on the day of a protein change, with the kids waiting transport to a soccer game, dinner on the stove, and the dog scratching at the door. If they had, we would have a system that rapidly accepts your block of results into a temp file, prints "The Mount Sinai Hospital Distributed Folding Research Project has just received 723 results from user <<TyOI>>. These results will now be checked for validity and added to our database. Credit for your work will be posted at the next stats update. Thanks and have a nice day." The response would be disabled for single-unit uploads, as from an always-on user.

TyOI
whats that crap all about - only asked a simple? as to whether or not the connecting to upload server problem had been resolved

Reagrds
Tom

Paratima
10-12-2003, 12:41 PM
What problem? Nobody else seems to be complaining...