PDA

View Full Version : win9x trick for using "the other's" pc.

jjjjjjj
08-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Howdy,
Been on Distributed Folding for a few days now. Here is a way I found you can start the text client on more computers without bothering "the others". [coworkers, kids, etc.]

*Let them know what's going on and they just have to press Q to stop. Most people say, "cool" when they know what it's all about.

*Haven't tested this on any windows cept 98se but "should" work on other windows platforms. I'd suspect you need admin privelages under NT/2000/xp or just compensate c:\running.txt for whatever works.

*I've found that when the client is the active window, it runs waaay faster. Start notepad and watch the client slow down.

*This is for those instances when your using computers other than your own... I got the idea when my kid said, "what the hell is this thing that keeps popping up?!"

I start the text client via Task Scheduler and it's set to run "when idle" (60min or whatever turns your crank). Uncheck the "stop the task if it runs for..."

I've edited foldit.bat because if you start foldit.bat via the scheduler it will start once when the pc is idle for xxminutes and will try to start again in another xxminutes. Then a warning window (program is already running) becomes active, thus slowing the foldit.bat window.

:start
if exist c:\running.txt goto end ***added so it can't start more than once.

:donename
if EXIST donename.dat del tmpfoldit.bat
if EXIST donename.dat del donename.dat
echo . >c:\running.txt *************added
.\foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df -rt
if EXIST doupdate.txt goto doupdate
del c:\running.txt *************added
goto end

honest to God, I ain't a programmer so I don't know how long this will work. Kinda got my eye on them changename lines.
thanks for reading and if there is a problem lurking, I'd like to know.

jjjjjjj
09-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Umm... (oh btw I invented that word).
If you or "someone" moves the distribfold folder, you might soon realize the task won't start because the properties for foldit.bat in Scheduled Tasks has moved! See "unable to run" under "last run time".

since we are on the topic of moving things... like maybe to never-never land... how could I have saved my work before the kid nuked my distribfold folder? I take it now I have to start from scratch? Well actually it was on his pc. Might be a good idea to say, "hey... if it pisses you off, let me know and I'll take it off or at least zip er up and email it to me." :dunno: