PDA

View Full Version : many file in temp folder

happyboy99
08-26-2003, 02:47 AM
Notice after some time c:\winnt\temp will fill with many *.fpt *.dbf and *.cdx. Did the DF client clear up the temp file it left behind ? I have some pc that fill with these file up to 400MB.

Keller
08-26-2003, 03:03 AM
many programs create temporary files ...
Generally, DF clears his temporary files. Therfore I think these temporary files are from other applications and have nothing to do with df.

tpdooley
08-26-2003, 04:47 AM
if you set DFTEMP to a special DF only temp directory.. you'll see just the DF temp files in it.. and if they grow too large - just stop DF and nuke the DF temp directory. Although you might also want to keep mentioning it here, so Howard can find out why you're ending up with so many abandoned DF temp files.. and fix the problem.

IronBits
08-26-2003, 09:24 AM
I believe it's TMP in the windows world. ;)

MKDIR D:\distribfold\TEMP
Then add three lines to foldit.bat.

Should look like this when done:

@echo off
set TMP=D:\distribfold\TEMP
set TEMP=D:\distribfold\TEMP
del /q /f D:\distribfold\TEMP\*.*
:START

save foldit.bat and then run it.

replace 'distribfold' with where you put the client working directory. ;)

Brian the Fist
08-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by happyboy99
Notice after some time c:\winnt\temp will fill with many *.fpt *.dbf and *.cdx. Did the DF client clear up the temp file it left behind ? I have some pc that fill with these file up to 400MB.

The client will leave files with these names in your TEMP directory if you exit improperly or it crashes. It is safe to delete them IF the program is not running at the time.

tpdooley
08-26-2003, 02:34 PM
IronBits - the DFTEMP variable works under windows. I added it to autoexec.bat when Howard mentioned adding it to the client.

happyboy99
08-26-2003, 08:52 PM
thanks for all the advise. I will try adding these line to beginning of foldit.bat and see how it goes. :)

@echo off
del c:\winnt\temp\*.fpt /f /q
del c:\winnt\temp\*.dbf /f /q
del c:\winnt\temp\*.cdx /f /q
:start

IronBits
08-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by tpdooley
IronBits - the DFTEMP variable works under windows. I added it to autoexec.bat when Howard mentioned adding it to the client. Good to know, thanks! :thumbs: