PDA

View Full Version : Client does not exit

IronBits
08-26-2003, 09:44 AM
Upon getting a fatal error, the client sometimes stays in memory occupying anywhere from 15-35mb, sometimes there is a CMD window still running that will go away if you kill this roque client process, sometimes not.
What happens next, is what contributes to the filelist.txt file is corrupt, please create a new one error.

dfGUI, or task scheduler, or whatever you use to check on the client to make sure it's running by looking for the *.LOCK file, find it missing and restart the client, the 1st one is still there locked on the open files, so the 2nd process can't do much and corrupts the filelist.txt.

Howard, when running -qt mode, could you put the error message in the error.log and make sure the client exits cleanly under all fatal error conditions?

I have seen this many times, and it also leaves all 4 files in the TEMP directory when this happens.
some number.cdx
some number.dbf
some number.fpt
some number (with no extension)

Brian the Fist
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
If it is doing what you describe, then it sounds like it is crashing and there is no way to 'capture this' (on Windows that is, on UNIX you can hook SIG_SEGV).

Do you have any idea WHY the client is crashing on you now? I have not had any complaints of it crashing recently so I am under the impression it is quite stable again...

IronBits
08-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Well, it's not 'now', this has been happening all along, I just wasn't able to put a finger on it and was being very vague about it before. Now I'm trying to nail it with more precise information.
More information will come forth as I run into it.
It's not happening every day on every computer, but I'll try to catch one and zip up the directory for you ;)

IronBits
08-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Well whadda ya know... ;)
Found one.
I also included a .jpg file to show you it was still in memory, no .lock file was present, no restart is possible without killing the zombie first...
When an automated restart is done, because the .lock file is missing, this leads to further corruption of the filelist.txt usually.
I've seen as many as 3 zombies from attempts to auto start a client because the .lock file is missing and the assumtion that it has just quit. This usually works fine, occasionally, the zombie gets me.

YGM! :)

Brian the Fist
08-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Where exactly is this JPG?

IronBits
08-27-2003, 12:23 PM
should be in the .zip file along with everything else.