PDA

View Full Version : Change from screensaver to "dos" ??

Juxu
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
Hello, as a new participant to this folding project, i have these questions i have not found an answer to anywhere...:

Is it possible to change the program from the screensaver to the faster DOS-box version without losing much work/points? If so, how?

Further, how do i upload all buffered work to your server prior to the changeover (as suggested in the "news" section on your website) ?

Will the changeover happen automatically, or do i have to stop "working" the current protein manyally somehow ?

Thanks,

Jukka

Welnic
09-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Download the text client, unpack it, and put it where you want it. Then, turn off the screensaver so that it will no longer run as the screensaver. Then *copy* all of the newest files in the screensaver directory. There should be a filelist.txt and some files that look like:

handle_8_handle_protein_105_0000028_min.val.bz2
handle_protein_106.trj
handle_8_handle_protein_106_0000017.val
fold_8_handle_15_handle_protein_106.log.bz2

where handle is your 8 letter handle.
Do not move your handle.txt over.

Then run the foldit.bat in the new folder and it will ask you your handle and some other questions about the parameters that you want to run with. Then it should start with wherever you were with the screensaver. If you choose the quiet option you can check this by looking at the progress.txt file that will show up once you have run for a while.

You don't have to worry about uploading any buffered work, that will just happen.

If you are running one of the professional OSs, NT, 2000, or XP, I would recommend installing it as a service, I have found that it is the easiest to use that way.

Brian the Fist
09-02-2003, 11:22 AM
What he said, except after installing the text client, run it once from the command line BEFORE copying the screensaver files over, to answer some config questions it will ask you including your handle.

Juxu
09-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advice ! :)