PDA

View Full Version : Temp. fix for distributed folding server

Brian the Fist
03-16-2002, 12:28 PM
You have probably been experiencing a message to the effect of 'unable to contact server' with the newest protein. This is because it is building too fast for our server to handle. To remedy this, I've changed the upload frequency from 5000 to 1000 structures, to result in smaller uploads. Head over to the Download section at www.distributedfolding.org to grab this for the Windows or Redhat 7.1 client. Other versions will be updated shortly. You will need to delete 'filelist.txt' after copying this new client before you start running it, to clear your structure cache. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Howard

Dyyryath
03-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Hey Howard,

I've really come to like your project so far! I'm a little concerned about your fix, though...

It obviously depends on where the problem is, but is this really going to help? While it will shrink the size of the individual uploads, it's also going to DRASTICALLY increase the number of connections to your server.

I have no idea what you are using to handle those connections now, nor how many you are seeing concurrently, but I have to wonder if this isn't going to just exacerbate the problem.

I'd really love to help if I can, as this is *precisely* the kind of stuff I do for a living. If you'd rather keep the details of your setup private, or avoid getting people you don't really know involved, I certainly understand.

magnav0x
03-16-2002, 01:38 PM
No go, I tryed the client with the new fix, but it's not able to get through to the server....got a plan b?

ColinT
03-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Same here. It starts trying after 10,000 and fails. then it tries every 5000 after that.

I'd be happy with a plan Zed. I have millions of structures on my drives I can't upload.

Paratima
03-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Yup. Me, too. Got so many .BZ2 files, I don't know what to do.

Course, I seldom know what to do anyway, so...

IronBits
03-16-2002, 03:23 PM
I have too admit, I have lots and lots of em cached now. I hope we don't have to delete them when the new Client is released.

DATA
03-16-2002, 04:45 PM
Hi ppl

just thought i would advise the new fix dont work for me either - it tries to uploads then stops - if the "Q" trick is used it uploads only that part that was complete and totally ignores the cached work it has already created - nother bummer am afraid

Tom
DATA of the S-MDC_TRUST
TEAM 3DHQ

Dyyryath
03-16-2002, 05:15 PM
I've had some very enlightening email conversations with Howard tonight. He's trying hard to fix the problems, which appear to be (at least from where I'm at) with the program on the server which accepts the uploads.

I've done some investigating on my own since I last talked to him, and I don't think that a bigger server is going to fix this problem (though a bigger server is always something to take if you can get it!).

I've been running a packet sniffer on the upload attempts made by my clients and it *is* actually sending the first file (actually, the first 'WU' which consists of two compressed files) that it attempts to in it's entirety. The CGI process on the remote (DF) server isn't killing the upload or failing to accept the data, rather it appears to simply not send an HTTP formatted response saying "OK, I got it".

Originally, I was under the impression that this was a TCP network timeout problem, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The TCP stream between my system and their system seems normal in every respect. The speed is good, and lag doesn't appear to be an issue. It seems that the problem is higher up the network stack in the layer that handles the HTTP protocols.

Paratima
03-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Actually, Dyyryath, I wondered about the upload acknowledgement. Didn't run a sniffer, but do have sort of a traffic volume analyzer hooked in, and without looking in too much detail, it seemed to be actually sending the data, or, as you say, at least part of it.

Me happy, knowing you're on the case.

(Sure got a helluva lot of .BZ2 files. :p )

magnav0x
03-17-2002, 01:47 AM
I also noticed that it was sending/recieving data correctly, but I thought it was all that beer I drank when I was mourning the loss of all those structures so I thought nothing of it.

dnar
03-17-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by magnav0x
I also noticed that it was sending/recieving data correctly, but I thought it was all that beer I drank when I was mourning the loss of all those structures so I thought nothing of it.
ROFLMAO. :D