PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2002 on XP

IronBits
09-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Seems when someone running XP and Outlook 2002, sends an email with an attachement, Outlook98 can't open the attachemnet! Has no extension on the file.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Not using XP/Outlook 2002 is not an option :(

Paratima
09-03-2003, 10:57 PM
You mean Lookout 2002 actually strips the extension? :confused:

IronBits
09-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Not really, best I can figure, when OL2002 sends a file attachement, it does the 'header' thing, like where the to/from/subject is and calls it attachement: MyFile.doc. (insert your own filename.ext)
OL98 doesn't have a clue and prolly buggers the handling of it.

If you send me an email with fileattachment.exe (insert your .ext here) using OL2002, I will see the attachment alright, but it will be called 'untitled' in OL98.

I'm sure it's another M$ trick to force us all to upgrade, just wondering if there is fix for it any where.

In large corporations, they must have blasted M$ with bitching to get it fixed some how...
As soon as you upgraded the BIG boss and he wants to send down a MyMarvelousWords.DOC to his minions and they can't open it, all hell would break loose ;)

FoBoT
09-03-2003, 11:24 PM
if you save the attachment and look in the file system, does it have an extension?

the only MS KB article i could find that is remotely close:

OL98: Double-clicking an Attachment Generates an Error (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180034)

:dunno:

Paratima
09-03-2003, 11:33 PM
I haven't personally seen this particular one, but I've got a HUGE assortment of notes on this sort of thing at the office. I'll look in the ayem.

Paratima
09-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Mr. Ferrous Binary Digits:

I sent ya what I could find, regular e-mail. I knew I had seen something on it. But what I sent you is just the Lookout 2003 half of the story. The more in-depth article that I couldn't find, says you need to go, in Lookout 98, to Tools/Options/Security and somewhere in there, somehow, mark the sender of these emails as "Trusted".

Both sides have to do with M$ not trusting anyone, period. Including themselves. It's wierd, but there ya have it. Give it a try & let us know if it works. :smoking:

God bless MicroSoft. Nobody else is likely to.

IronBits
09-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.
:hifi:

IronBits
09-05-2003, 08:34 PM
More on the file attachment problem...

When an Outlook 2002 user sends an encrypted email with an attachment to an
Outlook 98 user, the recipient cannot open the attachment from within the
message. It is as though the file association has been lost, although in many cases
the icon of the attachment is correct (i.e. Word icon for a Word attachment). But
there is no file name associated.
If you send it unencrypted, there is no problems at all.

You can do a File Save Attachments, based on the ICON, you will know what extension it needs to open it. (.doc for W, and .xls for X for example)
then you can bring up the appropriate application, work your way to where it was saved and open it normally.

The name of the file attachment in the message is blank and references \temp\randomnumber.tmp if you try to open it, thus the reason there is for the no File Association problem.

However, I found out you can right click the attachment, and choose Quick View.
It will complain there is no file association, would you like to use the default viewer?
Choose yes, and you get a blank page.
BUT, I found out if you choose, F)ile, Open file for editing, up comes Word with the document intact ;)
It appears to read the header in the actual file to bring up the appropriate application to edit it.

Paratima
09-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Jeez, Louise. It reads like a murder whodunit!

What a trial to go through just to get a Word doc that you probably didn't want to read anyhow... :rolleyes:

I take it we can consider this case closed, yes? :tramp:

IronBits
09-05-2003, 10:09 PM
erm, no... It has to be fixed!
We must be able to click on the attachment and open the appropriate application.
i.e. word or excel, or access, ppt, pdf .txt or whatever it needs to open, when the message is encrypted.

Just like it did before they decided we need to upgrade from office97/98 to Office XP et al. :bang:

Paratima
09-05-2003, 10:16 PM
Oh!

Back to the archives... :whip:

At least I think we're getting the question defined better. I think.