PDA

View Full Version : A samba problem

the-mk
09-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Hi!

Situation:
I've had a computer with SuSE Linux 8.0 Professional setup with samba (ver 2.2.3a) that run just fine. The hostname of the computer was thunderbird and I could access all the shares with my Microshaft Windoze Explorer (from w2k) by just typing \\thunderbird\sharename\ and everything worked.

Just the smb.conf:

[global]
map to guest = Bad User
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = Arbeitsgruppe
client code page = 850
character set = ISO8859-15
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
guest account = Nobody
wins support = true
os level = 2

[data$]
path = /data
writeable = yes
public = yes

[mp3]
path = /data/mp3
public = yes
guest only = yes

Now I've decided to setup my linux computer with Mandrake 9.1. I've edited the smb.conf to exactly the same like above (and yes, all directories exist; smbd -V: 2.2.7a). Problem is: If I type \\thunderbird\ into my windows explorer he says "can't access \\thunderbird. Networkpath not found" (or something like that; message in German if it helps "Auf \\Thunderbird kann nicht zugegriffen werden. Der Netzwerkpfad wurde nicht gefunden.") I can access it via ip (\\192.168.1.2\) but that makes me not happy.

During the install of Mandrake I was asked about a hostname and a zeroconf-hostname. Everywhere I entered thunderbird.

Does anybody know why this doesn't work?

Darkness Productions
09-07-2003, 10:48 AM
I think it has something to do with the new version of samba, because after upgrading my samba installs, I can no longer access it either. I'll do some research.

the-mk
09-07-2003, 01:14 PM
I've anywhere on this forum that you work a lot with Samba, Dyy.

Perhaps you could tell me (or us, DP too) why it doesn't work for me/us.

As mentioned above, my versions:
SuSE 8.0 Pro, smbd -V: 2.2.3a (working)
Mandrake 9.1, smbd -V: 2.2.7a (problems)
exactly the same smb.conf and with the newer version the w2k explorer can't access to the shares

PLEASE! :notworthy DYYRYATH :notworthy or any other samba-expert :notworthy

the-mk
09-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Hmm, no reply since now...

I'll try something stupid :crazy:: I found the rpm's of the samba-server and client on my good old SuSE 8.0 Professional CDs. I'll uninstall the freaky (or however you want to call it) samba-server on my Mandrake PC and try to install the old-versioned SuSE rpm's...

I don't think it'll work, but if it works it would be great!

Or I really need to call those hardworking samba professionals :D

Dyyryath
09-08-2003, 02:44 PM
Somehow I missed this before. Sorry about that, mk!

Do the following:

cd /etc
tar -czf samba.tgz ./samba

Then email me (dyyryath@zerothelement.com) the resulting samba.tgz file. I'll get you straightened out and send it back to you.

You can continue to use the Mandrake binaries, they're fine.

the-mk
09-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Dyy, I think you would kill me for that post! Or at least :bonk: or :haddock: or :spank: or :|punch|: or :whip:, you have the permission to do so (but not the killing-thing) :D

I tried myself a little with the whole smb.conf and so on...

Then I read something on http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/samba-install.html ... there was written, that the whole story wants to have access to some ports... hmm, then I thought about the firewall I configured at the beginning. I told the drakfirewall that I want access to 139/udp and 139/tcp (and 10000/tcp = webmin, but that is another story)... After reading that, I told the firewall giving access to every port...

And, tada: it's working! I can access every port (I'll have to figure out, which ports he want's to access to). I can see the thunderbird in the network neighborhood, I can click on my thunderbird, I can enter \\thunderbird\ in the windows explorer and I can access to all my shares I need...

I'm very sorry that I wasted your time, Dyyryath!

Perhaps we could find out, which ports the whole smb-share-thing wants to have access to, so I can configure the drakfirewall

Dyyryath
09-08-2003, 06:08 PM
LOL :D

You want ports 137,138,139. :)

the-mk
09-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by the-mk
I'll try something stupid :crazy:: I found the rpm's of the samba-server and client on my good old SuSE 8.0 Professional CDs. I'll uninstall the freaky (or however you want to call it) samba-server on my Mandrake PC and try to install the old-versioned SuSE rpm's...

I don't think it'll work, but if it works it would be great!

That didn't work. The rpm -U samba-2.2.3a-6.i386.rpm (or so) didn't work, because it wanted some lib-files... libcrypto.so.0.9.6 and libssl.so.0.9.6... both were in /usr/lib, but rpm didn't want to know it...

But now it's working with the Mandrake binaries fine! :thumbs:

Who is thinking of local firewalls whilest installing/configuring a samba-server? :spank:

the-mk
09-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
LOL :D

You want ports 137,138,139. :)

erm, udp, tcp or both?

Dyyryath
09-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Both.

the-mk
09-09-2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks in advance!