PDA

View Full Version : New Core?

Beyond
09-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Anyone tried or tested this new core? http://www.ecc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303

IronBits
09-08-2003, 09:17 PM
erm no, I thought this project was DEAD and OVER by now... or close to it. :dunno:

Beyond
09-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
erm no, I thought this project was DEAD and OVER by now... or close to it. :dunno:

Looks to me like we still have people running this project (http://ecc2.student.utwente.nl/ecc2/static/team/17.html) .

Beyond
09-09-2003, 12:20 AM
After kicking the tires, looking under the hood, me decides to test drive this "new" core. Initial results shows about a 25% increase in it's/sec. On an XP 1700 it jumped from 848 it's/sec with the default x86core to 1049 it's/sec with the "new" core.

IronBits
09-09-2003, 12:44 AM
1579156.5 its/sec xp2600 :)

I haven't run this one in so long tho, I don't remember how...

/me looks back at the DF scores, sighs and heads back for now...

rus6
09-10-2003, 08:33 AM
:thumbs: The new cores been working for me for a while, I'm not 100% sure it's officially approved (hence I didn't post here) but it does seem to be returning correct dp's.

On the ECC2 forum J. Berg said as long as it does that (i.e. return valid dp's) it should b OK for people to use.

Crunch on.

wirthi
09-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by rus6
:thumbs: The new cores been working for me for a while, I'm not 100% sure it's officially approved (hence I didn't post here) but it does seem to be returning correct dp's.

On the ECC2 forum J. Berg said as long as it does that (i.e. return valid dp's) it should b OK for people to use.

Crunch on.
rus6, you just gave yourself the answer; the core is NOT officially approved, but J. Berg (who is the "official") said that every DP you send in gets checked if it's valid. So, if this new core is indeed buggy, the worst thing that can happen is that you crunsh and either don't find any DP values or that the found ones are invalid (and thus ignored by the server).

So, if you get an satisfying amount of DPs from the core and those DPs show up in the official stats, everything is ok.

Most important: you CANNOT do any harm with a (possibly) buggy client - at least that's what JBerg said ...

rus6
09-15-2003, 04:59 AM
True, but I thought it might help someone else that's all, especially if they don't read the ecc2 forums...