PDA

View Full Version : Linux (Mandrake 8.2 RC1) and BT HomeHighway HELP!!!

pucechan
03-17-2002, 07:36 PM
HI, I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.2 RC1 and I consider myself NEW to Linux despite using various Distros over the last 6-7 years or so.... (Slackware 4 was first I think lol)

I was wondering if it's possible to tell Linux to use the USB connection on the BT Homehighway (ISDN) (Mandrake picks it up as USB ISDN Modem in the USB Info util) or whether I'll need a TA or not....

Thanks in advance,

Pucechan.

P.S. I am on AOL, which I know I won't be able to use under Linux.... or can I ?

Chinasaur
03-18-2002, 08:15 PM
As far as AOL/AIM.. go to - http://gaim.sourceforge.net/. AIM clone.

I use Mandrake 8.1 so I'm not sure how much 8.2 differs... Are you using Control Center / HardDrake to see if you can get it to detect the right hardware / use right driver?

Purchasing Mandrake as a new user is a very clued in thing to do as Mandrake provides some decent documentation in dead tree format.

Good luck.

BTW, SuSE 8.0 comes out April 22nd ;)

pucechan
03-18-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks...

by AOL I meant the actual Dialup software :( which I assume is impossible to connect under Linux (Maybe using WINE?)

Hard Drake shows it as a USB ISDN Modem but won't set up the ISDN connection... maybe no USB drivers ?

am a bit unsure what to try to get it working..... would a physical TA be better for me to use than the direct USB cable....

Chinasaur
03-19-2002, 02:18 PM
sorry for the confusion. I do know AOL does not make a Linux client.

As for your modem, I'm out of guesses.

Purchasing a copy or subscribing would get you the support you need however.

pucechan
03-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your replies.. I appreciate it...

I was thinking of buying the Linux-Mandrake 8.2 Powerpack anyway when it's released... it would be nice to have some Tree variety manuals :D

Thanks again.

Pucechan