PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Diagram

michaelgarvie
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Does anyone understand the diagrams in the GUI?

rsbriggs
09-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Not at all, unless I'm really missing something. A bunch of boxes with binary numbers in them: 0011, 1100, 0110, 1001. A bunch of lines, 1/2 blue and 1/2 purple, seemingly drawn at random across the screen.

That's a circuit? :confused:

prokaryote
09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Okay, sort of I think. The boxes with the binary code are the truth table output representations of a two input gate structure right hence the four "bits". I think that the lines starting at the top and the bottom are inputs and the lines ending to the left and right are outputs? A line connects one node to another? My question is for an individual gate, are the inputs at the top and bottom and the outputs or fan out from that gate on the right and left sides of the box? Or am I just totally off?

LinearB
09-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Understanding on a par with Prok's. It certainly isn't the way I was taught to draw logic diagrams at college :D

For me the representation in the GUI isn't really helpful, I'd far rather have a tool which could display each generation as a proper logic diagram, if this isn't possible then drop it from the GUI. This wasn't an option in the poll so I haven't voted ;)

michaelgarvie
09-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Under the screenshot http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/mmg20/dhe.htm#gui there's an explanation.
Gate inputs are on the right of the square, the gate output on the let. Global circuit outputs are on the left, global inputs at the top and bottom. Colours correspond to which output that connection affects.

I agree this is not standard and could be a lot better. Being an Open Source Project I'm happy for anyone to grab the class that does this painting and change the squares to gates or flip things horizontal to follow the standard left to right flow, etc.. If anyone's up for it I'll show them the class and what does what.

Cheers,
Miguel