PDA

View Full Version : SoB on the edge. Project go? Or No-go?

rsbriggs
09-29-2003, 05:37 PM
I'd say the problems with SoB are coming to a head, and the project is teetering in the balance. I find Lagardo's post rather to the point. I'd say that some of his comments are more or less applicable to ANY DC project:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=40810#post40810

FoBoT
09-29-2003, 06:14 PM
i am on vacation from SoB for a few weeks-few months

i can understand that the server being unavailable due to the DoS attack wasn't the project guy's fault

but when my boxen were finally able to connect, they wiped out their existing work and got new work, that isn't very nice, so i am out for a while.

rsbriggs
09-29-2003, 07:47 PM
There are a lot more people with that same view. Did you read his post? I'd say it pretty much sums up a lot of peoples frustrations with SoB....

FoBoT
09-29-2003, 07:52 PM
i read most of it, but i am not really a science guy or a coder, so i dunno about alot of that

i just know it wasted my cpu cycles

and that the WU/blocks are getting too big to manage in my environement. i need a project where i can put the client onto a box and a few days later blow it up , then a few days later do a reinstall without building the Great Wall of China in the process.

wirthi
09-30-2003, 03:34 AM
Hi,

I'll third that.

I'm not currently running SoB but have stopped it due to other problems - like deleting the buffer every now and then.

At one there is this known bug "you have to restart after installing the client, or else it will forget the first workunit you download when you close the client". Happend to me - downloaded, installed, didn't reboot, let it run for some days, had to reboot (not caused by the client), when I started the client again the buffer was gone and it downloaded a new one.

This bug has been known for ages as it seems; but where is the new bug-fixes version?

There is nothing more annoyable than losing the buffer; that even worse than dropping down a place in stats :)

Oh, and not to mention the "only-one-workunit-downloadable" and the "I save my work on the harddisk AND the windows registry", what makes it quite impossible to run this project on borked boxes or on offline machines (ah, yes, you can transfer a buffer if you know how to handle the windows registry ... nothing easier than that and not much work either)

Perhaps they will solve some of these problems ... perhaps not ... when they have lost most of their members they will have to do something ...

Keroberts1
10-10-2003, 07:10 PM
One thing to say. Seventeen is a volunteer project, if you don't wanna be a part of it then don't. I on the other hand believe it is the only project that is currently in any position to do anything of any signifigance, which is a very good job for a couple college students who build a server out of spare parts. The rest of you that are complaining about the lost cycles you have suffered should realize that none of that cost you any effort at all. YOU ARE PATHETIC. Get a life.

FoBoT
10-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Keroberts1
The rest of you that are complaining about the lost cycles you have suffered should realize that none of that cost you any effort at all. YOU ARE PATHETIC. Get a life.

actually, i spend from 2-10 hours a week extra at work running DC clients, so i guess you are correct if 2-10 hours a week of my life is worthless

chill out man, we are just talking about issues, i like the client and project, but that doesn't mean it is perfect. there is not currently a perfect DC client/project , so each has to choose the one most suited for them/their boxen

have a nice day! :)

wirthi
10-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by FoBoT
actually, i spend from 2-10 hours a week extra at work running DC clients, so i guess you are correct if 2-10 hours a week of my life is worthless

chill out man, we are just talking about issues, i like the client and project, but that doesn't mean it is perfect. there is not currently a perfect DC client/project , so each has to choose the one most suited for them/their boxen

have a nice day! :)
Yea, I absolutely comply. I also like this project (although I don't think it will really improve our science when we finally complete it). It's got a simple good-looking client, quite good stats and a target that can be reached in reasonable time. Still, some bugs hold me from running it currently. I just don't want to spend my electricity and time to something that doesn't work (at least on my computer)

Wirthi

PCZ
10-11-2003, 05:28 AM
What will solving this puzzle achieve ?
Will it benefit mankind somehow or just satisfy the curiousity of a few academics ?

Chinasaur
10-11-2003, 01:22 PM
It doesn't. I quit running this last December when the client would randomly die.

I always like them because they had a BeOS client :)

:cheers:

willy1
11-23-2003, 04:52 PM
End of SoB production for a while.

The last of the P4s fell victom to the P4 bug. I won't run the crippled (non-SSE2) client.

willy1

FoBoT
11-23-2003, 06:53 PM
i still have a single box on it, but it would be nice for them to fix/update the client. after they do, i'll try again