PDA

View Full Version : Video Card

GHOST
10-05-2003, 02:29 AM
I have three nodes with no video card. i have df installed as service so when i start machine df runs. when i want to upload i turn machine off and install video card so i can control it. i am shuttling this card around.

problem is one will not start without a video card. i have bios set to 'halt on no errors'. this works on the dell and an a7n8x, but my a7v8x will not start without card. it turns on but will not boot up.

any ideas, suggestions? (except spending more $ :jester: )

Fozzie
10-05-2003, 04:53 AM
I got round it by getting them all on a mini LAN.

I then just map to any of the machines and delete the lock file and run foldit.bat to upload i then reboot the machine.

I am looking to get them all KVM'ed when money allows.

I should really get them all on a terminal or use PCAnywhere or something like that but haven't fiddled around that much.

On XP boxes you have remote desktop connection which works fine.

I am sure there is a way to do it

What OS are they on it must be something NT based to be as a service

You could use at commands to schedule the stop of the service run foldit.bat this should run an exit with the -UT switch but if it doesn't have a line to delete the .lock file then restart the service.

That should do it without losing any cycles or ferrying the GFX card around so you an leave it in the a7v8x.

Thor
10-05-2003, 05:30 AM
What about using RealVNC ? I'm not shure if you need a vid card for it, but it is great to control boxen remotly.
You just need a network connection and an "static"ip.....
Real VNC is free, too

Greets Thor

FoBoT
10-05-2003, 11:08 AM
you got a PM Ghost, i thiink i can help out

p.s. i am running my work racks with XP and remote desktop, only have power cord and network cable attached. they are Compaq/HP boxen, so the video is onboard, but i just don't use it. i have used VNC in the past and it is good, but since XP already has RDP builtin, no need to add a 3rd party app

GHOST
10-05-2003, 12:50 PM
i have never used xp remote desktop. have used vnc, works good. last time i tried vnc i did not do it right, guess i have to RTFM again.

get a week off from work next week. will fix this then.

what really screws me up is reinstalling windows all the time. wipes out the settings. will have to read RTFM for linux vnc