View Full Version : Concurrent OS Sessions, Vanderpool and 5 years

Chinasaur
10-06-2003, 05:45 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994215

Five years? Crap :(

Moogie
10-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Oh, yeah! That'd be "kule".

There's already some capability avaiable for this. "MacWin" lets Win9x run on top of the Mac OS, and VMWare has emulators available to let Windows run on Unix/Linux boxen - but they are software.

Hardware that's optimized for this sort of thing (Multiple OSs resident AND executing in memory) would be at least one order of magnitude faster, and MUCH more stable.

Dyyryath
10-06-2003, 11:41 PM
I use vmware like a crazy man. I've got XP, 2000, 98se, and about 6 different flavors of Unix running on my devel box. I *love* vmware. :thumbs:

excaliber
10-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Is VMware expensive?

I'd like to run Linux, but dont want to use a spare drive and use linux. I still need microsoft stuff for school (Word mostly. Yes, openoffice is good, but i've heard it doest play nice with word).

But running Linux on top of windows (even if its emulation) sounds nice. Let me play with linux without switching.

rshepard
10-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Don't know about the cost of VMware; but one thing you might try is snagging a copy of OpenOffice for Windows, and seeing what problems, if any, you run into with your school documents. For what its worth, I run OpenOffice on a Linux box, and haven't had any trouble working spreadsheets with the rest of the dept. (which is all Windows) ---YMMV ---
you could also build a dual-boot setup if you have enough hard-drive and don't mind wiping it; and there are also some Linux distros that run from a CD for people who want to mess with it w/o committing to switching

QIbHom
10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Excalibur, you might want to get yourself a copy of Knoppix at http://www.knoppix.net/get.php. Burn the iso onto a 700 meg CD, reboot, and you have a painless linux system, without doing anything to your hard drive. It really is quite nifty. Tad slow, running off a CD, but certainly usable. And free.

Remove the CD, reboot, and you are back to your regularly scheduled OS.

I use OpenOffice under WinXP (*shudder*) at work. No one has noticed I'm not using MS Office yet.

Chinasaur
10-08-2003, 04:50 PM
QIbHom is right. Knoppix runs on top of my Win98 game box using the Win98 disk in Read/Write mode. Very sano solution.

Morphix and DamnSmall Linux are also other good bootable distros. DSL is only 48MB burned. :thumbs:

:cheers: