PDA

View Full Version : run while computer is idle

jsco
10-16-2003, 10:19 PM
does anyone know how to limit the program so that it only runs while my computer is idle? I permanently stopped the service because I'm tired of turning it on and off while I'm at my computerr.

Stephen_B
10-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Do you find it uses too much computer resources? For me, cpu usage always throttles down when another task comes up; the distributed hardware client is set to low priority. The java processes do use 70 MB of RAM, but I have 512 MB RAM (using linux here).

These boards don't seem to get a lot of replies ...

-- Stephen

jsco
10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
yes, it is hogging the CPU. I have a bunch of applications running right now, yet java is using 92% of my CPU. my applications are fighting with Java to get their fair share...

Stephen_B
10-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Can you give more info ... what OS are you running, how do you launch the program?

jsco
10-21-2003, 04:22 PM
I am using WindowsXP SP1, and it installed a service that launches the program. Java's priority level is set to low, but it is still hogging the CPU. I assume this is normal behavior, but it was my understanding that these programs only use your computer while it is idle. Is there a way to suspend the process while my screensaver is not on and start it back up when the screensaver kicks in?

Justin

Stephen_B
10-22-2003, 08:36 AM
About the only thing I can suggest is to reboot, and see if the problem goes away. :(

What version of java are you using? Maybe a different one might work better.

Stephen_B
10-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Another idea I had is to try launching it from the command line instead of as a service. Maybe you'll have more luck getting the priority to set to low in the task manager that way.