PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd help out

pfb
10-17-2003, 06:58 AM
As ChessBrain seems to be an easy DC project to run alongside one of the bigger projects, I thought I'd run it on my PCs...

Using CBMOC to monitor them:

http://wibble.bounceme.net/misc/cbmoc.png

One question - it seems that I'm getting around 40-50% of the jobs aborting at the request of the server - is this normal?

I'm running the latest experimental version (client21012-02) as that seems to be the only one that runs :crazy:

PCZ
10-17-2003, 07:19 AM
pfb

Aborted jobs are normal.
Each Job is sent out to multiple clients.
The job gets accepted from the first client to return a result, the others get rejected.
Obviously the percentage of tasks accepted is higher on the faster PC's.
You still get credit for all jobs done it doesn't matter if they don't get accepted.

The server has been down for a while so that may be the reason you couldn't get the older clients started. I am using the standard non beta clients and until a couple of hours ago they wouldn't start. Now they are running fine.

I also use CB monitor to keep tabs on the client, it is annoying having to keep the cmd window open though.
Unless you download the developer edition of JAVA (No Thanks)

Your Nodes/sec looks good are they duallies ?

pfb
10-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks for clarifying the aborted jobs bit - just been browsing the CB forums to get a better idea on what is happening :)

I have only 1 duallie running on CB (Carrot) - in fact the nodes/sec doesn't seem to be too good an indicator of PC speed as I have:

Carrot : Dual MP2600+
Radish: XP2200+
Lettuce: P4 2.7
localhost: Barton 2800+

so it seems that Radish (the slowest) is processing the most nodes/sec :looney:

It seems to be cohabiting quite nicely with DF so I'll see how it goes :)

/edit - it seems the Nodes(1k) column is a better indicator of CPU speed :confused:

Originally posted by PCZ
pfb

Aborted jobs are normal.
Each Job is sent out to multiple clients.
The job gets accepted from the first client to return a result, the others get rejected.
Obviously the percentage of tasks accepted is higher on the faster PC's.
You still get credit for all jobs done it doesn't matter if they don't get accepted.

The server has been down for a while so that may be the reason you couldn't get the older clients started. I am using the standard non beta clients and until a couple of hours ago they wouldn't start. Now they are running fine.

I also use CB monitor to keep tabs on the client, it is annoying having to keep the cmd window open though.
Unless you download the developer edition of JAVA (No Thanks)

Your Nodes/sec looks good are they duallies ?

PCZ
10-17-2003, 08:02 AM
pfb

With duallies the nodes/sec is an average of both CPU's
The nodes/1k figure as you have discovered tells you how much work each node has done.

ALSO
CB doesn't count instances only unique node names so you can't tell how many CPU's people are running from the stats.
You could run 8 quads for example but CB stats will only show 8 computers.

cygnussphere
10-17-2003, 09:15 AM
pbf-Welcome aboard the Free-DC Chess Brain Train:thumbs:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

:tempted:

:cheers:

willy1
10-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
pfb

With duallies the nodes/sec is an average of both CPU's
The nodes/1k figure as you have discovered tells you how much work each node has done.

ALSO
CB doesn't count instances only unique node names so you can't tell how many CPU's people are running from the stats.

I've added a couple of boxes to this.

I can't tell if both boxes are reporting - haven't found any stats that show how many PCs or unique nodes are reporting. I'm concerned about the work box getting through the firewall... It's running the GUI, and it *looks* like it's working, but the stats only look like what is coming from the home box.

Can anyone help deciphering the stats?

rshepard
10-22-2003, 10:54 PM
If both nodes have the same name, you can't break their contributions out. The stats have no provision for points generated by each node. You might put the CLI client on the work box for a bit, and watch it. If its sending data and getting new positions from the Supernode, then you're getting out OK. The Supernode has been up and down the last few days, so your points may be lower than you were expecting.

willy1
10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
I'm confused by what you mean by 'Node Name' -

Is this the UserID (willy1) or the UUID assigned by the server (big long string visible in the CLI window) ?

How does that equate to PCZ's statement that the stats in his example will show 8 PCs?

rshepard
10-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Yes, as I've used it here, Node Name==UserID

If the userID on both boxes are willy1, then the points are merged-- the UUID changes from job to job, I believe.
PCZ's statement is true only if you use a distinct userID on each box-- otherwise it shows the total for 8 boxes (32 CPUs) under the single ID. Look at the individual stats, and you will see that I have several boxes, all individually named.
Magnav0x sums those together on his stats page, but they are distinct boxes in the CB site stats.

willy1
10-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Does he do the merging auto-magically, or does it take a little poke:Pokes: if we want to pursue that method?

Oh, and how do you tell if the 'supernode' is down?

Edit: my home client seemed to be non-active and cbmoc was showing no activity, so I had assumed the game host (supernode?) was down. I took the opportunity to change the userid on that client and restart it, and it immediately took off crunching nodes. Was this just coincidence, or does this clinet 'go to sleep' and/or need restarting at intervals? This is the CLI clinet on a W2K box.

sorry for all the questions

willy1

magnav0x
10-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Willy if you want to make seperate names for each of your clients go ahead and I'll merge them if you want. It's not big problem.

rshepard
10-23-2003, 01:20 AM
You can tell if the Supernode is down by going to the Chessbrain site- there is a graph on the main page that shows # of machines connected (updated at 15 min intervals) -- if it is showing zero the Server is down. I expect your client coming back up when it did was coincidence-- the Supernode was down earlier, but it is back up now, so you probably hit it just right. You shouldn't normally have to restart the client; it will check periodically to see if it can communicate with the server or not.

PCZ
10-23-2003, 04:43 AM
I will explain what I meant about CB counting machine names not instances.

User 1 has 32 Single CPU 2ghz Xeon workstations.
User 2 has 4 8way 2ghz Xeon Server

They both have equivalent CPU power and scores would be the same.
Cj's stats for top contributers would show the guy with 32 nodes as a top contributer but the guy with 4 8 ways wouldn't get a mention.

F@H for example counts each instance of the client as a CPU and both would show as having 32 CPU's.

I hope this makes sense.

willy1
10-23-2003, 11:00 PM
I think that just made it worse.

If the stats don't care (or know) how many CPUs you have, how would it rank User1 above User2, if each user ran his boxes under one UserID?

So, in my case, if I set one PC as willy1_1 and another to willy1_2, I will end up with 3 accounts :

willy1 which will be stagnant
willy1_1 and willy1_2 which will each grow, but won't ever be counted as one user.

So - make all machines one userid, and lose all per-CPU tracking, or have to live with a bunch of little accounts.

Not much of a choice

rshepard
10-23-2003, 11:15 PM
If the stats don't care (or know) how many CPUs you have, how would it rank User1 above User2, if each user ran his boxes under one UserID?

There are two statistics involved here-- The User Contribution (I believe its called)
which is just the raw # of CPUs for a given username. Then there is the Nodes processed, which is the work done for a given username. What isn't tracked is the work done for a CPU, which is what you are wanting to get at. I think CJ is considering adding this in at some point, but it's not high on the priority list.

willy1
10-24-2003, 01:33 AM
Another twist...

How does it track CPUs per User? I thought the only way it tracked 'Nodes' was by userID....

So there really IS some unique ID assigned to each CPU that the project can track, but currently doesn't report on?

Where are these CPUs / User stats ? I just looked at the chessbrain.net site stats, and scanned through the stats section of their forum (first time I had seen the forum - they call it 'Community', not 'Forum), and I can't find anything about CPUs/User anywhere.

rshepard
10-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Onthe Statst page , look at the "MACHINES/OS" category. Only the top 10 are displayed though...

jonnyw
11-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by pfb
As ChessBrain seems to be an easy DC project to run alongside one of the bigger projects, I thought I'd run it on my PCs...

I'm in :D

Sice df is going so slow at the mo i thought i'd do something different with my cycles (as well as df of course :) )

Now just need to try to get in the top 50:|party|:

cygnussphere
11-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jonnyw
I'm in :D

Sice df is going so slow at the mo i thought i'd do something different with my cycles (as well as df of course :) )

Now just need to try to get in the top 50:|party|:

:thumbs:

:notworthy

:evil:

Jay
11-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Seeing as though our teams' (Sneakers) DC guru (pfb) had hopped aboard, I thought I'd follow suit.

1 question, is there any difference in running the GUI client or the CLI client in terms of speed?

cygnussphere
11-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Jay
Seeing as though our teams' (Sneakers) DC guru (pfb) had hopped aboard, I thought I'd follow suit.

1 question, is there any difference in running the GUI client or the CLI client in terms of speed?

Welcome aboard:thumbs:

The official position is there is no differance but if your running along with another project the lest resourses used the better hence most run the CLI.

Jay
11-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)
I feel like part of the family now :cheers:

This may be a really silly question, but how do I get the CLI client to run without appearing on the taskbar?

cygnussphere
11-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Jay
Thanks for the welcome :)
I feel like part of the family now :cheers:

This may be a really silly question, but how do I get the CLI client to run without appearing on the taskbar?

You can install it as a service using FireDeamon (http://www.firedaemon.com/) or the service client (http://www.chessbrain.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=512)

Oh and help yourself to Target Butt's

===============>:fridge:

:thumbs:

Jay
11-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Got the service running a treat. Cheers for that :thumbs:
Only 3 machines unfortunatly, but every little helps eh? :)

& wtf are Target Butts :scratch:

jonnyw
11-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Jay
Got the service running a treat. Cheers for that :thumbs:
Only 3 machines unfortunatly, but every little helps eh? :)

& wtf are Target Butts :scratch:

which service r you using, the firebird one or one of t'other ones (service or stealth)? just curious...

I think target butts are beers from Iron Bits fridge (but could be wrong) :)

Jay
11-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Using http://www.chessbrain.net/client20701-07-winservice.exe. Dead easy to set up :)

Jay
11-25-2003, 05:35 PM

Hmmm, Mr Google says they're summat to do with archery :scratch:

PY 222
11-25-2003, 05:39 PM
which service r you using, the firebird one or one of t'other ones (service or stealth)? just curious...

You are right on target (pun intended :D)

Target Butt is our dear IronBits (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1) and he has a huge fridge that is well stocked with my favourites, beer and nachos.

So, go ahead, use the :fridge: as much as you want. Its on the house. :thumbs:

Jay
11-25-2003, 05:48 PM
/me goes to the :fridge: & wonders where all the decent beer is :flame:

Ah ha! A bottle of Nastro :cheers: