PDA

View Full Version : We are going to lose this thing. We need help now!

ColinT
03-24-2002, 03:54 PM
You heard me. Our lead is slipping with every update.

This new protien changeover hurt us badly. A lot of our members have ceased running, or have fallen out entirely.

If we are to win our first project, we need those members to come back and lead us to victory.

At this rate, we will be #2 in a month.

<SPIT>

Paratima
03-24-2002, 04:25 PM
Sir, yes SIR! :D Buildin' & Borgin', right now, SIR!

xj10bt
03-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Sorry, but count me out. I'm tired of dealing with this client and will take a break from DC for a while.

Dyyryath
03-24-2002, 06:57 PM
I know *precisely* how you feel xj10bt. :(

I am, however, going to keep my home fleet running for the time being. After this latest "reload all your clients if you want to keep running" episode I'd had enough. So, I went looking for something else to run. Unfortunately, I could find anything that interested me:

SETI: Been there, done that. It's got a good client, and I like the proxies, but the project itself just doesn't do it for me anymore.

dnet: Again, been there, done that. And, once again, while the client completely rocks, I just don't see the point of the project itself. Why are we attempting to prove something that we already know can be done given enough horsepower?

Folding & Genome: I've been less than pleased with Stanford and their projects for some time now. They just never seem to follow through on what they say.

GIMPS: A (supposedly) good client, and a project that *is* contributing something worthwhile to the mathematical community, but I have a hard time getting interested. And what's with those crazy stats anyway?

Ubero: Not doing any real work. Why would I donate CPU time that's not really being used for anything at all? Additionally, the extra overhead of a Java install and an installer that requires a GUI gives this project low marks in my book.

ECCp109: I gave this one a look, but it seems to be doing pretty much the same thing that dnet is doing, just with a different type of problem. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see the point in seeing how long it takes to exhaust a keyspace.

Sengent: I've only got three words for this project: NO LINUX CLIENTS.

What does that leave me with? Distributed Folding.

On the plus side, it's got a stable client that runs in multiple environments. It's got a goal that I find agreeable. It's got at least one very dedicated tech person who's willing to talk back to the community.

In the minus column, what's up with having a different version of the client every time we change proteins (which will happen faster and faster as the project becomes more popular)? The server issues appear to have been worked out, but I'm simply not willing to keep updating clients manually. It's just too much of a hassle when we're talking about lots of systems in geographically diverse locations.

I guess what it comes down to at this point is: FIX THE UPDATE FEATURE!!!

It's really my only real complaint at this point, but it's such a show stopper every time I have to reload every damn system from scratch that it makes all the good stuff seem minor by comparison. :mad:

Oh well, enough of a rant for now. Take a break, xj10bt, and see how you feel later. I've done the exact same thing myself more than once. Hopefully, by the time you're ready to get involved again, they'll have fixed the autoupdate feature and things will be looking better for both of us.

bwkaz
03-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm here... if one P3-800 running Linux From Scratch will help... ;)

Actually, I might be able to use a fairly new P4 at work for this over the summer, although that's not definite. And it won't be crunching 24/7, more like 8/5. And it'll be a P4, so it'll have the half-clock-speed FPU, because that's the only way Intel can manage to get their clock speeds that high ... :mad:

Oh well, take what you can get, right?

I wonder how the CS department people here at MTU would react if I started running a client on the Linux server? It's RedHat 7.1 on 4 P3-500 processors, so I could just run 2 client instances and leave one processor for the guy running dnet ( :rolleyes: ) and one for everybody else... think they'd care? ;)

Supp
03-25-2002, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by bwkaz
I wonder how the CS department people here at MTU would react if I started running a client on the Linux server? It's RedHat 7.1 on 4 P3-500 processors, so I could just run 2 client instances and leave one processor for the guy running dnet ( :rolleyes: ) and one for everybody else... think they'd care? ;)

Is there any other reason why that computer has 4 CPUs ? It's just as you said 3 for DC and 1 for work :D ;)

pointwood
03-25-2002, 03:20 AM
Yes, Howard needs to fix the autoupdate feature *right now*.

It previously was my understanding that we would not use the autoupdate feature very often which is why I didn't see it as such a big problem. However since that doesn't seems to be true, it is a real showstopper.

Wedge
03-25-2002, 12:32 PM
well I'm folding a lot of stuctures.. so I'm fine there.. and I'm moving up the ranks pretty fast.. and now I have to convince my friends to do d_folding.. they're gemoning away for ARS..

FoBoT
03-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pointwood
It previously was my understanding that we would not use the autoupdate feature very often which is why I didn't see it as such a big problem. However since that doesn't seems to be true, it is a real showstopper.

when he said that ("not very often") there were only a few hundred people participating, so reaching a billion looked like it would take several weeks/months

now that there are almost 5000 participants, we are cranking through the project at a much HIGHER rate than howard expected, as i see it

i would bet he never expected this much participation and thought getting the 10 billion (1 billion per protein) would take a looooooooong time

BTW, i am back at work and got my self moved

home- my firewall/gateway is up and running on roadrunner/cable, got two of the servers up and my new switch, but it will take a week or two to get all the desks/pc's setup for me and the family before my home work is back to full strength

work- i am downloading and installing the latest version on one boxen at a time, hopefully by the end of the week i will be back up to full strength and have all of them converted back from RC5, that should add back close to 1 million a day ;)

pointwood
03-26-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Wedge
well I'm folding a lot of stuctures.. so I'm fine there.. and I'm moving up the ranks pretty fast.. and now I have to convince my friends to do d_folding.. they're gemoning away for ARS.. As long as they continue to crunch for Ars - I'm fine with that ;)

Just a friendly warning (and since these are your friends, it's a different matter, but anyway) - it is generally not considered "nice" to requit members from other teams which you are competing with.

pointwood
03-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by FoBoT

when he said that ("not very often") there were only a few hundred people participating, so reaching a billion looked like it would take several weeks/months

now that there are almost 5000 participants, we are cranking through the project at a much HIGHER rate than howard expected, as i see it

i would bet he never expected this much participation and thought getting the 10 billion (1 billion per protein) would take a looooooooong time
Hmm....I don't know - Howard has aksed whether anyone had seen it mentioned on Slashdot and I'm pretty sure he has been looking at the number of participants other project have.

To get >5000 participants shouldn't surprise him.

Talon
03-26-2002, 10:23 AM
(music please) A huntin we will go..a huntin we will go, hi ho the dairio, a huntin we will go!! (end music)

Sorry ColinT, couldn't help myself! :D

Steve_Watkins
03-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by bwkaz

On windows machines RC5 uses all the CPUs when installled with just one client.. If its the same for Red Hat I would expect the " guy running dnet" would be pretty pissed off :)

Dyyryath
03-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Talon
(music please) A huntin we will go..a huntin we will go, hi ho the dairio, a huntin we will go!! (end music)

Sorry ColinT, couldn't help myself! :D

Hehe, let's see here, as of 12:20 pm EST:

Free-DC Last 24 Hours: 14,264,751
3d HQ Last 24 Hours: 11,183,906
Team Stir Fry Last 24 Hours: 9,484,994

I'd say Colin's post has had a positive effect. :D

*music slows down and stops at 3d HQ*

You probably shouldn't get too excited just yet, we're far from beaten. :D :D

Talon
03-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath

Hehe, let's see here, as of 12:20 pm EST:

Free-DC Last 24 Hours: 14,264,751
3d HQ Last 24 Hours: 11,183,906
Team Stir Fry Last 24 Hours: 9,484,994

I'd say Colin's post has had a positive effect. :D

*music slows down and stops at 3d HQ*

You probably shouldn't get too excited just yet, we're far from beaten. :D :D

yeah, I know! but you wouldn't deny a guy a little bit of taunting, would you?? :D

Dyyryath
03-26-2002, 01:54 PM
Certainly not! Especially if you want to do it over here where it's gonna get some of our slow starters riled up. :D :D

Talon
03-26-2002, 02:35 PM
/talon immediately shuts up. ;)

Angus
03-26-2002, 03:00 PM
...and KWSN 24 hour number is 14934949 !!!

Out-crunching all of us !!!!!!

bwkaz
03-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Supp
Is there any other reason why that computer has 4 CPUs ? It's just as you said 3 for DC and 1 for work :D ;)
All their servers run 4 processors, it's like "the thing to have" if you're an MTU CS department server. I really don't know why, maybe it's in case they have a sudden spike in student jobs or something, they'd want to keep response time low.

Originally posted by Steve_Watkins
On windows machines RC5 uses all the CPUs when installled with just one client.. If its the same for Red Hat I would expect the "guy running dnet" would be pretty pissed off
The last time I took a look at the output of ps aux, the CPU utilization of the only dnetc process that was running was like 97%. With Linux AFAIK, if you want part of your process to run on another CPU, you have to either create a kernel thread (which will show up as another process in ps's output), or create a full-blown other process (which will also show up in ps's output). So he was only running one instance.

The other three CPUs were pretty free, maybe 5% utilization. But it was also a Saturday afternoon, so I doubt that there were many students logged on doing stuff, either.

I'm still considering running it whenever I log on... but I don't know. I wouldn't want to run it when I'm not logged in, because I can just see the nasty e-mail I'll get when one of the ops sees it, but maybe if I have a connection open... hmmm.....

FoBoT
03-26-2002, 05:59 PM
i am pretty much back up to speed
but my test LAN is connected via Satellite (testing it out) and the latency is reducing my uploads
i am having to manually start/stop the client to force uploading my work, so my output will be batchy

if i have time on friday, i'll split the LAN out and put the bulk of the pc's back onto DSL and just leave a small group on the satellite :)

EGhAd
03-28-2002, 09:03 AM
That auto update got me to arggggggggggggg. I am back up and running now

ColinT
03-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I hope that gets fixed soon

Dyyryath
03-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Eghad! Good to hear you're back in the race. :D

I'm looking forward to an uneventful upgrade next time, too. Next time he's just going to update the protein rather than the executable. That should help quite a bit.

xj10bt
03-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Well, I think I've calmed down enough to give it another shot. I sure hope the next changeover goes smoothly.

BTW, THANK YOU DYYRYATH (and anyone else involved) for hosting the official DF forum and getting it off of that crappy Yahoo!

Dyyryath
03-28-2002, 05:17 PM
We aim to please! :D :D

FoBoT
03-28-2002, 06:18 PM
i am back up to full steam, i'm coming for you xj10bt :D

i should get back into the top 10 overall (passing raven of 3dhq) over the weekend :)

are the knights still gaining on us?? :eek:

Paratima
03-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by xj10bt
BTW, THANK YOU DYYRYATH (and anyone else involved) for hosting the official DF forum and getting it off of that crappy Yahoo!

Amen!

xj10bt
03-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT
i am back up to full steam, i'm coming for you xj10bt :DI'll be up to speed tomorrow, we'll see what happens :D:D

FoBoT
03-28-2002, 07:46 PM
i should be able to borg 5-10 Ghz for this weekend, you better light some fires ;)

SpongeBob SquarePants
03-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Ni!

Hello y'all!

We are like the Spanish Inquisition.

You never expected us! Ni!

Yes we are, ahem, doing very well in this project. Thank you very much for noticing.

As true Monty Python fans, we must warn you..........

Prepare to be vanquished!

Ni! Ni! Ni!

(Get used to it, you will be hearing it a lot! :) )

After conquering the silly Picard Pig-Dogs in Genome and Destroying the Stupid Dutch Power Kowsas well, we have moved to acquiring all of the "DC" that you seem to be giving away for free.

2 Questions...........

What is DC?

And where do we pick it up for free? ;)

I mean we like AC/DC, the band, the current whatever...

But WOW! you guys are giving it away for free. I haven't heard a deal like that since I met that bead wearing girl at Mardi Gras.
But I digress.....

Ni!

There that's better.

Many of you are familiar with us so I will spare you the details of our various reprobates (GWiz's, Farts, Mercedes Loving Fools, Wabbits, Butt Ugly Taunters, and let's not forget Gnomes).

Our reputation (and smell) preceed us!

Ni!

SpongeBob SquarePants

P.S. Great Site. Thanks for Hosting it.

And yes, I will be back to taunt you... a second time.

Paratima
03-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Talk is cheap, Spongepants. Braggin' rights cost gigahertz. :p Do you have enuff?

Gunslinger
03-29-2002, 06:18 PM
So this is the notorious taunting by the Knights of Ni! :confused:

The only thing I find objectionable is that you are ignoring 3DHQ and Ars :mad:

I will say to you that your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberry :o

Now go away and flop on the floor like a fish, you silly person. :D

ColinT
03-29-2002, 06:33 PM
And one more thing: I am licensed and trained in the usage of a Holy Hand Grenade.

Back off Stumpy!

MAD-ness
03-29-2002, 07:30 PM
Free-DC, 3DHQ and KWSN are all producing some very large numbers at the moment. Lacking the 'big gun' producers on TSF, we will have to find other ways to keep pace and, eventually, pass you. ;)

Fart in your gen direxion
03-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Hello, I’m Sir Fart from the Knights Who Say Ni !!

Say Ni ! for me !!!!

I see you’ve met Spongebob Squarepants, ugly little spud ain’t he :rolleyes: ?

Anyway, no this is NOT the notorious taunting of the Knights of Ni !! :p .

You shall KNOW when we’ve begun our un-merciful taunting of you silly people, as when we do, we, ummm, well, uh, we’ll TELL you that we’re taunting you :D ! We'll say something like: hello, we're taunting you now !! Or maybe we'll just catapult a big, stinky dead cow at you :eek: . Or toss a killer bunny at you :o !! The Knights have many weapons you see :D

But I’m not taunting you now, no siree, although I could ! I will taunt when you least expect it, well perhaps not least expect it, but certainly not when you most expect it, probably about halfway between least and most, with maybe a little shading towards least :confused: .

Anyway, enjoy first place, cuz the Knights of Ni !!! are coming for it :p .

I notice this team has a fair number of ex-Picardians on it who ran like girly-men when the mighty Knights of Ni ran them down like the pig-dogs that they are on the Genome project :eek: . Well, get your pink cardigans on and get ready to run again.

And now, as I must, as it’s what I do, Sweet Jebus it’s ALL I do, I Fart in your general direction !

Ni !

P.S. I thought OUR UBB smilies sucked out loud, but yours really bite the big one !!! :p

Ni !

IronBits
03-29-2002, 08:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA
breathe
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Loved it! :D
ya, the icons do suck... oh Dyyryath...... ;)

ColinT
03-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Why is it always "Hey Dyy". Why not Hey IB or hey Marc or hey Colin?

Poor guy.

And I know why it's never "Hey JT":)

IronBits
03-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Hey Colin! Can you make us some ICONS ? ;)
http://www.mysmilies.com/

bwkaz
03-29-2002, 10:09 PM
It!

It!!

It!!!

Come on everybody, say "it"!

They can't hear "it"! Using it will secure our place for sure!

It! It!

It! It!

It! It!

:D

Wedge
03-30-2002, 12:24 AM
hey bwkaz, I noticed that you're right behind me in dfolding.. I would like to have a competition with ya, let's say... first one to 1 million for now? I'm already starting to borg some computers for this.

Daza
03-30-2002, 06:17 AM
well done wedge, i think you and me started on this project at about teh same ~ time i was looking to pass you till that stupid proten change and numerious crashes. you are going really well, keep it up

bwkaz
03-30-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Wedge
hey bwkaz, I noticed that you're right behind me in dfolding.. I would like to have a competition with ya, let's say... first one to 1 million for now? I'm already starting to borg some computers for this.

Sure, why not!

Though I only have 1 computer, and there's probably going to be no borging possible here ATM. But we'll see, I've been getting, what, 83K or so a day? So another 4 days and I should have it... but let's see, you've got about three days. Hmmm.... time to talk to some friends!

Wedge
03-30-2002, 10:33 AM
alright this'll be fun :D

boatsman
03-30-2002, 01:41 PM
heard the signal, my humble p3m is running disfold again!:D

Paratima
03-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by boatsman
heard the signal, my humble p3m is running disfold again!:D
We're glad you're here! :D

Wedge
03-30-2002, 08:39 PM
oh hey... bwkaz... should we do some kind of reward for first to a million? like um.. for 2 or 3 days.. the loser will crunch for the winner?

bwkaz
03-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Sure, two days sounds good.

<looks at latest stats>

Aww crap! Now I'm 150K behind and growing... wonderful.

And nobody wants to crunch for me for the next couple days either :(

All right, there has to be someone else in this dorm that wants to use their computer for folding proteins.... now to just find them ;)

Wedge
03-30-2002, 11:59 PM
;) k the reward is decided.

anyway how many computers do u have running? I got 2 right now.. but planning to get at least 2 more..

1800+ (my own)
1600+ (friend)
2000+ (friend says he's getting)
1900+ (on order for a friend)

that's 7.3 ghz worth of computing power :D wow

Wedge
03-31-2002, 12:01 AM
oh and I just noticed.. Fang is creeping up on ya bwkaz ;) just a friendly warning

bwkaz
03-31-2002, 08:41 AM
Yeah I noticed Fang there too.

I have, currently...

One P3-800.

That's it.

:eek:

I tried to temporarily borg a P3-500 4-CPU server, but I ran into the DF/SMP stupidity, and it was running horribly slow so I stopped it.

On the one computer that I'm, using, I'm running Linux From Scratch, so there's very little compute power used for such things as the GUI (plus I run a minimalist window manager, at least for the time being).

I would have an Athlon XP 1800 running it too, but it's my friend's, and his north bridge fan died (actually pretty much shattered, it was cool if you didn't own the motherboard...), so he doesn't want to load it if he's not around to watch the CPU and motherboard temps.

Do you remember what you had when this started, structures-wise? Just so I can get an idea of how much I'm beating you per hundred MHz per day instead of how much I'm losing per day... ;)

bwkaz
03-31-2002, 08:49 AM
Well!

I just took a look at the DF page for our team, and you seem to have over a million.

:o :mad:

Oh well, sh*t happens, right?

Anywhoo, what's your handle? PM me with it if you don't want to post it here for whatever reason.

Wedge
03-31-2002, 02:18 PM
yes I just woke up just now :) i'll PM u my handle

Scoofy12
04-02-2002, 01:28 PM
Another cruncher....

well, 24 of them :)

I moved the TTU CSC (http://www.csc.tntech.edu) high-performance lab from FAH to DF, so thats 24 Dual p3/800s running linux (although currently only running 1 client each... DF is showing a whole lot of system usage, ie top reports ~80$ user and 20% system running DF... anyone else see this? im not sure if running another will affect people who actually need the computers :) )

hehehe... can you believe im gonna get class credit for this?

FoBoT
04-02-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Scoofy12

hehehe... can you believe im gonna get class credit for this?

i'll believe you have a hippopotumus living in your butt if you crunch that much DF/DC for freeDC :D

yeah!! go TEAM!!!! :)

ColinT
04-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Scoofy12

Well no wonder you are outproducing me! And getting credit for it to boot! What a scam:)

When you pass me next month, remember that I am an old man with only 5 boxes. Take it easy on me.

MAD-ness
04-03-2002, 09:20 PM
I've heard rumors about those 5 'boxes' Colin, I think you might be misleading him just a little bit. ;)

Paratima
04-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Far better than a Beowulf Cluster, Colin is believed by many to be harboring an actual Bodacious Conglomeration! ;) This concentration of computational horsepower, it's thought, can actually crack algorithmic walnuts with its digital digits.

Mere exposure to this level of goodness will raise a man's IQ in minutes. Living with it as he does, Colin has thus achieved True Enlightenment in all things computerly.

So watch your step, or he'll parse your source with re-entrant procedures! :p

MAD-ness
04-04-2002, 06:01 PM
LoL.

ColinT
04-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Very funny:) I had to put my machine sback to stock because the client hates OCing:)

Dyy: Maybe you could chang the links to Den's stats to the .gz files? They DL MUCH faster.

IronBits
04-04-2002, 08:35 PM
We provide links to both versions of Den's Stats now :)

Scoofy12
04-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Colin: you had to clock yours back to spec? my duron 750 still runs dandy at 940ish with DF running. what OS are you running?

ColinT
04-04-2002, 11:11 PM
98se and 2k

Paratima
04-05-2002, 07:11 AM
;) Just amazing the things one will post when one has had a bit too much Old Bushmill's Muscle Relaxant.

Originally posted by ColinT
I had to put my machine sback to stock because the client hates OCing:)
Although I haven't tweaked it real carefully, about the best I've been able to pull on an XP1800+, is just over 1.6GHz. Stock for an 1800+ is 1.5G. Go much over that and it falls apart. Not sure why.

Scoofy12
04-05-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Although I haven't tweaked it real carefully, about the best I've been able to pull on an XP1800+, is just over 1.6GHz. Stock for an 1800+ is 1.5G. Go much over that and it falls apart. Not sure why.

It's because the athlons do a lot of work per clock cycle, so the cycles are worth something, unlike *cough P4* certain other processors. I'm about to test the client on my Dual Celeron 366 OCed to 523 as soon as i get linux back on it, so we'll see how it goes :)