PDA

View Full Version : dfMon v0.3Beta

pfb
10-25-2003, 10:31 AM
dfMon v0.3BETA

Overview:

dfMon marries ideas from both dfGUI and DC Monitor - it monitors multiple clients and creates HTML output alongside the desktop app, and has detailed information regarding each client.

Desktop and web output:

http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon_v0.3BETA.png

(dfMon supercedes dfWebMon - any user who is using dfWebMon is advised to upgrade to dfMon).

Features:

* Multiple client monitoring - as long as the DF folder is shared and accessible, dfMon can monitor it. Access of key DF files is always done as read-only and shared so that the operation of dfMon doesn't interfere with DF.

* HTML output - in order to monitor remotely, dfMon can output the same information it shows locally to an HTML page. This can be saved/uploaded to a webserver and then accessed via a HTML browser. Client status is shown as a coloured block - red for stopped, orange for stalled and green for running. The HTML page also auto-refreshes itself (default is 10 minutes, range is 1 to 60 minutes).

* Stats save - in case the computer running dfMon restarts, or you need to close dfMon, the best Score, the generation that was found and the duration are all saved on exit (enabled by default). This allows a virtually seemless monitoring of DF.

* Manual and timed refresh - by default, dfMon will update itself every 10 minutes (available range is 1 to 60 minutes). As well as this automatic update, selecting Refresh or pressing F5 in the application will force a refresh. Also, any adding, editing or deleting of clients will refresh. dfMon also refreshes upon it starting.

* Gen 0 reset - dfMon resets the stats every time it notices Gen 0 has started - so if you have to delete filelist.txt it will recognise this and reset the stats.

* Stalled indicator - dfMon can recognise when a client has stalled (either due to the client getting stuck or processing power is diverted from DF). This is defaulted to 10 minutes (so after 10 minutes and no change in progess, a Stall situation is shown) - but can be set from 5 to 60 minutes.

* Protein size - this shows the current protein size that the client is working on (algorithm based on the one in dfGUI by Jeff Gilchrist). This is handy when protein changeovers occur.

Installation:

To install, download dfMon v0.31Beta (310Kb) (http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon.zip) and extract the files. The image files (*.gif and *.png) will need to be placed in the same directory as the HTML will go. dfMon will create 2 files (clients.txt and dfMonSettings.txt) in the directory it is run - these shouldn't be deleted.

edit: Upon running, dfMon will minimise to the system try - double-click the icon to see the app interface where you can add, edit, delete clients and view their status.

Any problems, queries, comments, suggestions, etc. let me know :)

IronBits
10-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Wow! Sounds great.
I extracted all the files and ran it.
I heard a 'blip' from the speaker and saw a new ICON in the systray.
right clicked it, chose app settings
Can't add clients :(
What's the format of the client.txt file?
I'll add some in manually. ;)

pfb
10-25-2003, 12:35 PM
You should be able to add new clients via the app (double-click the icon to see the app interface - it automatically goes to the systray on start - the beep should have also shown a ballon hint saying no clients to monitor)...

http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfmon_newclient.png

Enter the CPU, a description and the location (either share or UNC path) then click Add Client...if that doesn't work let me know :)

IronBits
10-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Excellent! :D
webpage output doesn't appear to be working.
I put in the absolute path starting with drive letter
d:\path\path\dcmonitor.htm
It's only been 10 minutes tho ;)
I see it defaults to update webpage every 2 minutes.
I changed that to 10, and it reverts back to 2 :(

Stopped and restarted it, still no webpage output...

pfb
10-25-2003, 02:22 PM
for the web output only put a path - it creates the HTML page as 'output.html' - so in your case it's trying to create 'd:\path\path\dcmonitor.htm\output.html'...is the 'Output HTML to' box ticked as well?

I've checked the web update and saw it was storing the wrong value - fixed in this version : http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon.exe

Good thing this is a beta version :crazy:

IronBits
10-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by pfb
Good thing this is a beta version :crazy: Excuses excuses ;) :D
Be a nice guy and don't force the filename.html page or locations of the graphics. ;)
For now, I put a copy of the graphics in the same location as the output.html file. :)
:cheers:

IronBits
10-25-2003, 02:45 PM
It's purdy! If it makes it 24 hours without crashing, I say you move it to Version 1 :D

pfb
10-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Excuses excuses ;) :D
Be a nice guy and don't force the filename.html page or locations of the graphics. ;)
For now, I put a copy of the graphics in the same location as the output.html file. :)
:cheers:

Glad it's running now :)

As for the HTML side of things - that'll probably be tightened up so it's more flexible (if that makes sense :crazy: )...

I'll also be looking to add things like points and allow for customisation of what is and isn't shown - just need to get a few people to test this codebase before moving on...

FoBoT
10-25-2003, 03:17 PM
hmmm... :bath:

IronBits
10-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Got an "Index out of bounds -3" popup sometime today, but it was still working.
About 24hrs and still ticking.... Not bad! :)

pfb
10-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the error info - I'll look into that one...

Been tweaking a few bits here and there - I'll probably release a 0.4 version after the changeover :)

jonnyw
10-27-2003, 03:41 AM
hey pfp :thumbs:

like the look of the new client.

Had a nightmare trying to set up the clients it was supposed to be monitoring though as it kept putting the clients.txt file everywhere EXCEPT the dfMon directory for some reason. I had the clients.txt appearing in C:/ , and then in each of the distribfold directories i was monitoring too, so in the end modified the clients.txt file and its working now.

Also the client has not been outputing the output.html file, but i've seen above there is a new updated executable file so will try that tonight (which should hopefully fix this).

This was all after deleting the old dfWebMon completely, and starting the install afresh.

P.S, you may want to mention about the new updated executable on Xaprief for anyone who downloaded the original and gave up cos it didn't work.

Looking forward to a (hopefully) working version as of tonight :D

pfb
10-27-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by jonnyw
hey pfp :thumbs:

like the look of the new client.

Had a nightmare trying to set up the clients it was supposed to be monitoring though as it kept putting the clients.txt file everywhere EXCEPT the dfMon directory for some reason. I had the clients.txt appearing in C:/ , and then in each of the distribfold directories i was monitoring too, so in the end modified the clients.txt file and its working now.

Also the client has not been outputing the output.html file, but i've seen above there is a new updated executable file so will try that tonight (which should hopefully fix this).

This was all after deleting the old dfWebMon completely, and starting the install afresh.

P.S, you may want to mention about the new updated executable on Xaprief for anyone who downloaded the original and gave up cos it didn't work.

Looking forward to a (hopefully) working version as of tonight :D

what OS are you running dfMon on? It should store the config files where you run it from :confused:

jonnyw
10-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by pfb
what OS are you running dfMon on? It should store the config files where you run it from :confused:

win XP

i spent al ot of time with it so can't remeber exactly how it went but basically (i think),

i added all the clients saved it and closed down.
re opened it and the bubble came up again saying no clients found
found the clients.txt in C:\
moved it to the dfMon directory
opened it up again and only one client was there
added my other clients again, saved shut down
opened it up and only one client was there
repeated this a number of times
found a clients.txt in another disrtibfold directory
edited the clients.txt and got it working again
???

I can try re-installing it again if you want to see if the problems are reproduced (but that will have to be on wednesday night as i've got tons of uni work to do 'till then)

pfb
10-27-2003, 04:09 AM
http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/dfMon.exe

Changes v0.35BETA:

* made the HTML output folder + filename, rather than just folder

* changed the code behind the config file save/read - should always read from the .exe location on all OSes

* update duration to be dd:hh:mm:ss - dd part will only be shown if it is > 0

jonnyw
10-27-2003, 07:37 AM
right just tried at uni with the new executable and had no problems with the clients.txt being misplaced. (although this is only monitoring 1 client)

Output.html seems to be working fine too.

Will try again (in the same way I stated above) at home tonight I think and let you know the outcome.

:)

pfb
10-27-2003, 10:08 AM
all details pertaining to dfMon are now available on http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/

jonnyw
10-27-2003, 03:43 PM
downloaded the new zip file tonight and reinstalled everything here at home and it all worked perfectly.

Must have either been me or the old executable :bang:

great site/page page for dfMon btw :thumbs: :trash:

btw, it may be an idea in a future version to stick a link on the output.html file that points to the dfMon page.

just an idea :)

pfb
10-27-2003, 03:48 PM
downloaded the new zip file tonight and reinstalled everything here at home and it all worked perfectly.

Must have either been me or the old executable :bang:

great site/page page for dfMon btw :thumbs: :trash:

btw, it may be an idea in a future version to stick a link on the output.html file that points to the dfMon page.

just an idea :)

cool - seems all the problems that were occuring have now been squashed :) (except the one that IronBits mentioned - not sure why/how that occurred :confused: )

I will add a link in the HTML code to the dfMon site - any other suggestions from people?

jonnyw
10-27-2003, 03:56 PM
btw in my previous post, this smiley :trash: was supposed to go with this one :bang: and not next to this one :thumbs: and is in no reflection of your site :rotfl:

another suggestion (while were on the subject ;)) would be for the "App Settings" window to disappear when you click on the "Save Settings" button. (not that i'm criticising it or owt)

dont know what others think :confused:

if not i'm sure i'll manage to live with it :p

other than that great job :D

iggy
10-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Just got around setting up the latest 0.4 version - all went smoothly, after the clients were added.

Editing the CPU info doesn't seem to stick, as no changes are made or saved.

Just one thing to point out,

when adding the path to clients on different machines in network, instead of listing just the local host's drives, it might be possible to add simple explorer interface that lists network ones, too (similar to DC Monitor).

I'm sure there will be plenty of other improvements in a due time - even as it is now, DFMon is a very useful monitoring proggy.

Thanks for all the work, pfb! :cheers:

pfb
10-28-2003, 01:58 PM
for editing the CPU info - did you double click the CPU text and the boxes at the bottom get populated or did it do an 'Explorer'-style rename? If the latter, it won't stick - you will need to double click the CPU text and edit it in the bottom...

I do need to change some of the components used (like you mentioned about the adding clients' location bit)...hopefully I can do that soon :)

---

As mentioned, v0.4Beta is out - changes are:

v0.4BETA:
* changed labels 'score' to 'energy' to reflect new algorithm
* amended best energy to monitor gens 1+ - gen 0 is ignored

and also incoporate v0.36Beta changes (which wasn't publicly announced):

v0.36BETA:
* clicking 'Save settings' now closes the App Settings dialogue box
* link to dfMon site on HTML output (link is the df Monitor text) - opens in a new window
* paused duration calculations for 'Stopped' clients

iggy
10-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Well, actually, yes, it was "explorer" type of editing - just because it was available, I tried to kinda test it ;)

If editing at the bottom, all is OK!

Otherwise, all else is OK - output produced properly, as in my sig...

^7_of_9
10-28-2003, 05:35 PM
One thing you might want to add once you get a chance is to have it so that you don't have to check out mapped drives or anything. Most of my crunchers directories are not mapped because I've used most of the letters for everything else and I know where they all are off of memory.

ie. \\voyager\Genome_Home\Distribfold\ or \\voyager\nfs\exports\genome\Kirk\distribfold or
\\voyager\nfs\exports\genome\Picard\distribfold and so on ...

I've currently gotten around that by editing the txt file that is created with the proper driver mapping for each machine.

pfb
10-28-2003, 05:48 PM
That is something I will be changing (along with a few other interface components) - I'm just waiting to see how the new scoring routine in DF fits...once I am happy dfMon works as it should I'll be revising the interface :)

Thanks for the feedback :thumbs:

/edit - got bored so made the changes for the client location and HTML save dialogues (and a couple of other changes whilst I was at it)...

v0.4.1.0:
* updated Client Location and HTML output dialogues to standard Windows format - ability to browse across network in a similar fashion to Explorer
* tooltip for System tray icon now shows number of clients monitoring
* displaying of version is now based on internal .EXE version rather than hard-coded

should be it for a while :crazy:

HaloJones
10-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Great! That browsing across the network is just what I needed. Running your software now. Thanks!

^7_of_9
10-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Not sure if this is a local problem or not, but when I downkloaded the new version this morn it doesn't let me bring a client down to edit it anymore like it used to.

Also in the settings I tried to setup the output file to go to v:\DFMonitor (Which is where the webserver files are kept) but it wouldn't take it. It kept setting it back to the local directory. When I edited the text file manually to do so (After I shut down the program first of course) and then restarted the program it got setback to the local directory the program was running from, to get around this I put everything onto the webserver directory and ran it from there and manually edited the file again and it worked. (I don't like running files constantly that are on the webserver though of course for security reasons). Maybe this last part was just a fluke or something, but thought I'd let you know.

Great work on it and I like the changes (Especially the explorer view now so I can browse the network instead of local machine only)

pfb
10-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ^7_of_9
Not sure if this is a local problem or not, but when I downkloaded the new version this morn it doesn't let me bring a client down to edit it anymore like it used to.

Also in the settings I tried to setup the output file to go to v:\DFMonitor (Which is where the webserver files are kept) but it wouldn't take it. It kept setting it back to the local directory. When I edited the text file manually to do so (After I shut down the program first of course) and then restarted the program it got setback to the local directory the program was running from, to get around this I put everything onto the webserver directory and ran it from there and manually edited the file again and it worked. (I don't like running files constantly that are on the webserver though of course for security reasons). Maybe this last part was just a fluke or something, but thought I'd let you know.

Great work on it and I like the changes (Especially the explorer view now so I can browse the network instead of local machine only)

The editing hasn't changed - double-clicking the CPU text will put the info in the edit boxes and then you can edit there...I know that if you do an 'Explorer' style rename (F2 or single-click) it will let you but the code isn't there to store the change.

As to the second bit, did you include a filename? The only time it should default to using [EXE location]\output.html if it can't open dfMonSettings.txt in the [EXE location]...I'll have a look and see if anything screwy is going on...

^7_of_9
10-30-2003, 02:51 PM
It's possible that the error is on my end as I downloaded it JUST before I was leaving for work (actually I should have left BEFORE I did it lol) so I might have not actually double clicked because I was in such a hurry. Maybe the same thing with the output file. I really shouldn't do this stuff when I'm in such a hurry ... I'll look at it when I've got more "playing" time tonight.

pfb
10-31-2003, 05:13 AM
v0.4.1.1 is out - there is a slight change to the duration code (and to the clients.txt)...it should now reset when Gen 0 starts.

if updating, either delete clients.txt or edit it to put a 1| after the location - so \\test\df|50.000 would become \\test\df|1|50.000

Gortok
10-31-2003, 10:07 PM
Very nice! :|party|:

After reading the above posts, I decided to give it a try with my 5 machines...
Setup was very easy. Works very well.
Saves a lot of time.

Thanks guy!! :thumbs:

pfb
11-05-2003, 09:10 AM
as all the nasty little bugs seem to have been squashed (v0.4.1.2), I am now looking for feedback for new features...got some already but would like to see if there are any more:

[list=1]
show points for each client
ability to customise the information shown
ability to customise the HTML output
detailed info (total time spent on protein, sets completed, total points for protein) - local app only
conversion to Kylix for Linux-only users (long term aim)
[/list=1]

:idea:

jonnyw
11-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by pfb
as all the nasty little bugs seem to have been squashed (v0.4.1.2), I am now looking for feedback for new features...got some already but would like to see if there are any more:

[list=1]
show points for each client
ability to customise the information shown
ability to customise the HTML output
detailed info (total time spent on protein, sets completed, total points for protein) - local app only
conversion to Kylix for Linux-only users (long term aim)
[/list=1]

:idea:

as much information/stats as possible please :), as you stated above points stats (e.g total per client, total per client per protein, total buffered ) and time stats will be cool (e.g total per client, total per client per protein, total for client for this set of 250 generations).

Ability to customise output/html will be cool.

The ability to add our own html to the output.html file would be nice, so we could add bookmarks etc, and use the dfMon page as our default home page :)

...thats about it for now

Nice work so far bud (y)

pfb
11-05-2003, 07:21 PM
It seems that dfMon only records the best value after gen1 has started.

See pic below for screenshot of the best value dfMon gives me compared to dfGUI's (cos my best value so far was in gen 0)

http://www.khaos.plus.com/distribfold/df.GIF

???

not that important really, just thought i'd let u know :)

[or is that just what you said above?]

(I'm replying here as it is dfMon related, not related to the RMS query)...

before v0.4.0.0BETA (when we did RMS) I wasn't too bothered about gen 0 - the value was almost always beaten by gen 1's value but I did use it as a shortcut...when DF changed to the different energy method that shortcut was lost and the difference between the gen 0 and gen 1+ calculation was more apparant so dfMon only monitors gen 1+ for best 'energy' as gen 0 is a different calculation...I thought dfGui ignores Gen 0 as well but maybe Jeff was using the similar shortcut as I was :confused:

Afaik the value in gen 0 isn't used as a 'best' value by DF - it's just used to kick-start the gen 1+ process which does give a 'best' value...

jonnyw
11-06-2003, 03:39 AM
well, as I said erlier its not really much of a problem anyway.

Just though of another feature for the next version, and that would be total generations completed (either in total generations, total 2 sets of 250 gens" or even better both).

As i said above the more the better really (cos it shouldn't matter about the screen space it takes up if it is configurable as to what is actually output)

iggy
11-06-2003, 03:41 AM
Just found out that DFMon doesn't want to save settings for html resident folder. Until I manually edited settings.txt with the new network folder, nothing was happening, even though finding the new folder was easy with new explorer-style interface. Save button just did nothing, it was reverting to the last saved setting. Using the latest beta...

Bit about boxens taken off-line. DFMon becomes less responsive if one or more boxens are down. I know it still looks for them, but probably doesn't take into account the error returned that means non-existant. Maybe it is possible in this case to look less frequently...

Three more additions to what has already been said:

1) Buttons for the "settings" and "refresh" would be nice, so that it is known when they are pressed
2) Adding "about" box, or just place with the URL where we can find the latest info on DFMon
3) Time stamp on last refresh

Nice work, pfb - really happy to use your proggy! :cheers:

rofn
11-06-2003, 04:21 AM
when i try to add my linux client over smb to dfmon i get always the error:
"37.627 is not a valid floating point value"

edit: on the list the client appears always as stopped then...

whats wrong?
rofn

pfb
11-06-2003, 05:32 AM
iggy - I'll look into those 2 issues...

rofn - not sure why that is, what settings have you got set?

rofn
11-06-2003, 05:39 AM
the linux client is running with
./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qt -it -rt

progress.txt looks like this:

rofn@core:/home/public/distribfold$ cat progress.txt
Building structure 1216 generation 0
8784 until next generation
1 generations buffered
Best Energy so far: 37.627

smb rights & linux file rights are ok

pfb
11-06-2003, 05:46 AM
what about the dfMon settings...?

rofn
11-06-2003, 06:00 AM
on dfmon i enter

CPU: test Client desc.: test Client location: \\CORE\public\distribfold

even i get this share mounted it doesnt work...

CPU: test2 Client desc.: test2 Client location: Z:\distribfold

the app settings of dfmon are untouched...
and even if i change the min. values or html output or not...
i always get that error that 37.627 is not a valid floating point value...

pfb
11-06-2003, 06:05 AM
very odd - just tested it and haven't been able to reproduce the error...only thing I could suggest is to make sure you have the latest version (0.4.1.2) and delete clients.txt and dfmonsettings.txt then re-enter the settings & clients...

rofn
11-06-2003, 06:32 AM
yeah its 0.4.1.2
deleting those 2 files & reentering doesnt work either...

perhaps its a problem with one of the files of the linux-client dfmon tries to read?

which files do dfmon actually read out for the values?

pfb
11-06-2003, 06:39 AM
it reads progress.txt for the main set of values....the error you are getting means that the best energy is getting allocated to an incorrect internal field...I've tried this end to recreate the problem with my Linux box but dfMon is correctly allocating the values...not sure what is happening...:confused:

rofn
11-06-2003, 07:06 AM
hmm interesting...
i tried now to give dfmon the full location of progress.txt
\\core\public\distribfold\progress.txt

he doesnt complain about the 37.627 but he also doesnt show up any value which is in progress.txt...it also won't update...even if i changed the interval to "check progress every 1 minute"
its just:
test test stopped 0 0.000 999999.999 (0) 0 0 0% 00:00:00 0

rofn

pfb
11-06-2003, 07:19 AM
that would indicate it can't access the progress.txt at the path you've given (which qualifies to \\core\public\distribfold\progress.txt\progress.txt - so it is correct that dfMon can't find progress.txt)

not sure what is happening with just \\core\public\distribfold - the error you're reporting sounds like the clients.txt format is the pre 0.4.1.1 when there was 1 less entry...

try having the following as your clients.txt file:

Test|Test|\\core\public\distribfold|1|

and see what happens...

rofn
11-06-2003, 12:44 PM
when i change clients.txt to
Test|Test|\\core\public\distribfold|1|

and start dfmon up it complains me about the usual error
37,627 is not a valid floating point value

when i close dfmon then and open up clients.txt again the line is changed into:
test|test|\\core\public\distribfold|1|99999999.999|0|37931,773590706|

dunno, what this 37931,773590706 value is doing in there...its not even in progress.txt...but perhaps dfmon is rounding it up in a mysterious way...i dont know...

i think progress.txt is in some wrong format for dfmon to read it out..but i don't know why...

dfmon version is 100% 0.4.1.2 (i see that in the properties of dfmon.exe in win explorer)

pfb
11-06-2003, 12:57 PM
That last value is the time and date - I think the , is a problem (only tested with the decimal seperator as .)...looks like I need to try and work around odd decimal point seperators :)

Could you test something? Change the decimal seperator to . and try again - if it works then that's the issue...if not :bang:

rofn
11-06-2003, 01:11 PM
sorry, doesn't seem to do the trick ;)

changed the line in clients.txt to
test|test|\\core\public\distribfold|1|99999999.999|0|37931.773590706|

start dfmon
error:
37931.773590706 is not a valid floating point value

the interesting thing on this is that the line won't even show up in the gui

and i can't even close the process...i'll have to kill it via task manager...
when i try to close dfmon a error pops up with:
I/O error 32.

:(
rofn

pfb
11-06-2003, 01:28 PM
It is definately the decimal seperator that is causing the issue - if I change mine (under Regional Settings) to , from . then I get the 'not a valid floating point number'...time to look at changing the float to datetime functions to be multi-region :)

This only affects the time part of the clients.txt so shouldn't be too much work :crazy:

/edit- is the best energy in progress.txt . or , seperated?

rofn
11-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Best Energy so far: 37.627

edit: if i change my regional settings from german (austria) to english (uk) it works ;)

seems like you got it :thumbs: :D

pfb
11-06-2003, 01:49 PM
right - the problem is that the energy value from progress.txt is always seperated by a . rather than LOCALE_SDECIMAL...I have added a tweak so that the energy value is reformatted to LOCALE_SDECIMAL if LOCALE_SDECIMAL is not .

(if that make sense :p)

the new version is at : http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/locale/dfMon.exe - give that a try (make sure that the entries in clients.txt are the same as the decimal seperator in control panel - I haven't added on-the-fly regional changes yet)...

rofn
11-06-2003, 02:04 PM
yeah this works now...
i had to change the 99999999.999 into 99999999,999 too...

dunno if this would also be updated by time into a . then...

the weird thing is that the output now looks like:

http://members.nextra.at/rofo/dfmon/output.html

isn't that output a bit wrong? dunno if dfmon does calculating of some values when it runs over a whole generation...:crazy:

rofn

pfb
11-06-2003, 02:15 PM
the output looks fine - dfMon will only monitor the best energy from gen 1 onwards....

I've changed a couple other bits (to do with the decimal seperator) so v0.4.1.3 is now out :)

another 'bug' squashed :smoking:

rofn
11-06-2003, 03:02 PM
yeah...0.4.1.3 works now just great...
thanks for all the help...
rofn

pfb
11-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by rofn
yeah...0.4.1.3 works now just great...
thanks for all the help...
rofn

cool - and thanks for your help as well :cheers:

Digital Parasite
11-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by pfb
Afaik the value in gen 0 isn't used as a 'best' value by DF - it's just used to kick-start the gen 1+ process which does give a 'best' value...

You are right, the number that gen 0 outputs is something different not related to the RMSD/Energy. When we were doing RMSD it was fine because it would always get less than the gen 0 value so wouldn't store it. Now that we have siwtched back to just looking at the energy, the values are sometimes larger past gen 0. That is a bug I will have to fix in the next release of dfGUI. The graphs don't track gen 0 but I forgot to ignore it in the lowest energy field I guess.

Jeff.

Digital Parasite
11-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by pfb
It is definately the decimal seperator that is causing the issue - if I change mine (under Regional Settings) to , from . then I get the 'not a valid floating point number'...time to look at changing the float to datetime functions to be multi-region :)

;) I see you ran into the same problem that I had. Are you using Borland and AnsiString for your string arrays? Thats what got me since they automatically adjust to regional settings.

Jeff.

pfb
11-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite
;) I see you ran into the same problem that I had. Are you using Borland and AnsiString for your string arrays? Thats what got me since they automatically adjust to regional settings.

Jeff.

I thought the problem sounded familiar - luckily it only affected a small bit when I was converting the energy from progress.txt to a float in order to compare it with the best so far (plus when I reset the best energy)...changing the code to check if the decimal seperator isn't '.' and change the '.' in the energy value to the right decimal seperator was fairly simple...

I'm using theStrToFloat Delphi function which takes into account the regional settings - shame DF doesn't use them for it's progress.txt output ;)

---

I've also fixed the HTML output error iggy mentioned...latest version is still 0.4.1.3...

iggy
11-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Works fine here! Thanks for the prompt bug fixes, pfb!

Minor inconvenience:

When adding the clients, DFMon doesn't write client.txt file - it waits for it's termination to do it. If the system crashes, clients have to be added again...

Any chance of saving client.txt when any change to clients description happens (including adding new client), or using save settings button to do that?

pfb
11-11-2003, 07:07 AM
iggy - I'm currently looking at that side of things as there are a few times when stats/clients might not get saved...at the moment the easiest way I have found is to write the stats/clients out every time the prog updates...

pfb
12-10-2003, 05:26 AM
For those who are using dfMon the latest version is 0.4.1.4 - it now saves the stats every time it checks to ensure data integrity (it's been out sometime but not sure if people noticed ;))...can be grabbed from http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/#Downloads

---

On another note, some work I've been doing and running CB has given me an idea for a potential enhancement for dfMon - but not sure if it would be worth coding hence me posting here for feedback on it.

Basically, the idea behind dfMon was to monitor multiple DF clients - but what about remote clients (for example, a collection of borged PCs that is located x miles away). Well, after running CB and seeing how it can report to a single monitoring app irrespective of location (plus some internet data transfer coding I've been doing), I was thinking about adding in code to dfMon which will allow a similar function. As always in cases like this, a picture (or diagram) is easier to understand so:

PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC
| | | | | | | |
------ --- --------------- ------
dfMon 1 dfMon 2 dfMon 3 dfMon 4
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------------------(remote locations)--------------------
|
|
PC - |
PC |-------------dfMon 0
PC - (local)

The idea being that each of the remote dfMon clients will transmit their stats to the local dfMon and that will report on them as 'remote' clients...this would then mean that not only would local DF clients be monitored but remote dfMon clients would as well (and those would monitor local DF clients).

This would benefit those who would like to monitor their collections, intra-team gauntlets (the members would point their dfMon to a central dfMon)...and so on.

It would also mean that dfMon could run on a local PC without actually monitoring local DF clients - it would just collate the remote dfMon stats...

Obviously, there is a fair bit of work involved and so I don't want to go further with this idea if there isn't a need...so, if you like the idea let me know :)

---

On a similar note, I will soon be adding the extra functionality to dfMon - I hope to have v0.5 out by the end of this year :)

Thanks to those who are using and testing dfMon, and for the feedback from people :cheers:

jonnyw
12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
remote source would be excellent.

It would also be very cool if you could see points current gen, client buffered points and client total points... if your in the mood :)

pfb
12-10-2003, 06:30 PM
remote source would be excellent.

It would also be very cool if you could see points current gen, client buffered points and client total points... if your in the mood :)

those stats will be offered - and if the remote monitoring idea goes ahead, anything you see in dfMon would be available...

some of the framework for the stats is in place - I need to add some more code and test it before going further; that's why I am asking now about the remote monitoring as it will be a lot easier to add now than once the whole stats framework is in place...

iggy
12-11-2003, 04:59 PM
:thumbs: for remote monitoring!

If you need any help testing it, just let me know!

jonnyw
12-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by iggy
:thumbs: for remote monitoring!

If you need any help testing it, just let me know!

yeah i'm always happy to test pre releases too. Just let me know :)

:smoking:

pfb
12-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
Got an "Index out of bounds -3" popup sometime today, but it was still working.
About 24hrs and still ticking.... Not bad! :)

Now been able to reproduce this - it appears when a DF client fails it causes this...(the only failure that is 100% reproducible - and causes this - is when an upload gets cut-off - this also causes dfGUI to run at 99% CPU...not sure if Jeff has seen this before/managed to trap it but now I can reproduce it I will cater for it :))

Digital Parasite
12-14-2003, 01:11 PM
pfb, so if I get the DF client to upload and then pull the net connection part way through it will reproduce this error condition every time?

Jeff.

pfb
12-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite
pfb, so if I get the DF client to upload and then pull the net connection part way through it will reproduce this error condition every time?

Jeff.

It seems to - that's the only way I have reproduced this problem on my setup. Still trying to figure out exactly why it is causing an issue :bang:

/edit - if you do try it, do it on a client you can afford to lose gens from as once you do it the client will be borked and a deletion of filelist.txt will be needed...

N.V.M.
12-31-2003, 03:47 PM
why can't i edit a client? its just greyed out(edit button)

pfb
12-31-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by N.V.M.
why can't i edit a client? its just greyed out(edit button)

double-click the CPU text - this should populate the text boxes at the bottom with CPU, Description and the location and the Edit (and Delete) button will become active...

If this still doesn't work let me know what OS in use and number of clients being monitored...

N.V.M.
12-31-2003, 05:46 PM
thanks,.... worked.

pfb
12-31-2003, 06:10 PM
cool - still working on a better interface than the current so that things like editing are easier :)

pfb
03-06-2004, 01:56 PM
few minor changes whilst I work on the bigger ones:

1) corrupt progress.txt files will now cause a status of 'Error' and the description on the HTML will say progress.txt is corrupt rather than say the meaningless error it did...

2) HTML changed...

I'm still working on the bigger changes and hope to have them implemented by April :)

Enjoy :|party|:

http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/#Downloads

pfb
03-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Another update - the HTML output now supports CSS...

Details and downloads on the dfMon webpage (http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/)

isp
03-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Looking forward to the remote monitoring! :D

offamychain
03-29-2004, 02:59 AM
I would really like to use dfMon, but can't quite figure it out. I'm not real bright about these things, I'll admit that.
The 2 things I don't understand is what address (or location) to put in the client-setup box in order for my "monitoring" computer to be able to see my remote computers.
Do I use the remote computers name, IP address, or what. I'm confused about this big-time.

The other thing is the entire "html" thing. Where is this file that it tells me to copy the gif's & css stuff into. Do I make the file, is it already located somewhere, or does dfmon automatically make it?

Thanks for any help.

HaloJones
03-29-2004, 06:40 AM
I use the entire path to the remote directory

e.g.

\\machine_name\C$\df\distribfold

this assumes administrator access to the remote drive.

As for the html, just put all the gifs etc. in the same directory as the dfmon prog and look there for the output.html file. dfmon will create it.

Grumpy
03-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Remote Monitoring :|party|: Cannot wait for that :cheers:

pfb
03-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Should be quite a few updates after Easter - currently looking at:

1) multi-threaded client reading (should improve the speed for those on a slow network)
2) remote monitoring
3) XML data storage
4) possible redesigned interface

HaloJones
05-27-2004, 05:14 AM
A few suggestions:

1) At present, either the client is red (no .lock) or green (.lock) or orange (more than x mins since update)

Could red mean no .lock (client not running) and there also be a black for "cannot find client at all" (computer not accessible)?

2) Show the approximate number of points buffered

3) When dfmon fails to detect either a .lock or the client at all, record the time and display it. If the client continues to be down, leave the time unchanged. Once the client comes up, remove the time data.

pfb
05-27-2004, 07:40 PM
thanks for the suggestions...

haven't had much time to get back to dfMon - my company as taken a lot of time and probably will do for the next few months...but do really want to do some work on it so might sneak a few days here and there when I can - probably be a lot of incremental releases if I do that though...

I don't use .lock at the moment but could do (in conjunction with the corrupt progress check) to do the 1st suggestion...

HaloJones
06-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I started up DFMon this morning (after some muppet had killed the power to half the goddamn farm!) and it hit one of the clients and claimed "index out of bounds (3)" or somesuch. I checked that client and it seemed OK, so I deleted the client line from clients.txt and re-started DFmon. Then it did the same for another one, so I deleted that too.

Then I checked the clients directories and both had errors in the log-file coinciding with the times I'd been starting DFmon showing that the filelist.txt had been tampered with. On both clients the filelist.txt contained nothing but line-feeds - no data.

Both clients were toast and had to be re-started from scratch.

Could DFmon have had the filelist.txt files open when the DF client tried to update them resulting in the files becoming corrupt?

pfb
06-01-2004, 03:14 PM
which version of dfMon was that? the latest (v 0.4.2.5) does have a check in it for a fubared client rather than just showing the Index out of bounds message...

dfMon doesn't use filelist.txt - I know dfGui does but dfMon only uses progress.txt in read-only mode for it's monitoring...sounds like when the power was cut those clients got corrupted...

HaloJones
06-01-2004, 05:42 PM
You could well be right. All I know is that on the re-start, the error log showed a corrupt filelist so it could have happened when the clients were power-cycled:swear:

I'll try the latest DFmon tomorrow. Thanks for the prompt response.

Paladin
06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Howard really should make foldtrajlite update the filelist.txt file in the same way that foldit.bat gets updated -- work with a temp filelist.txt then copy it over when it's safe/complete. I and others on my team have lost significant results from corrupt filelist.txt's. Such a critical file should at least have some redundancy.

IronBits
06-01-2004, 09:56 PM
It's called filelist.txt.tmp :p

Nothing to see here, move along... :|ot|:

Paladin
06-02-2004, 12:38 AM
No, if it (redundancy) existed as I said there would be a filelist.bak. It's not there, so lets not "move on". It took most of us making our own upload batch files to get Howard to finally incorporate the same functionality into the main program. So if pfb adds automatic filelist.txt backup/protection to dfMon just as I have to dfManager, maybe Howard will get the idea that this is something we want as well and add it.

Therefore have been doubly on-topic since this is something for an add-on and the flow of conversation here was who was as blame for the corruption of filelist.txt -- dfMon, foldtrajlite, or the power company.

bwkaz
06-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Paladin
No, if it (redundancy) existed as I said there would be a filelist.bak. What does the name matter?

Howard uses filelist.txt.tmp instead of filelist.bak. It's supposed to accomplish the exact same thing that you're describing.

If it's not accomplishing that, then the fault is likely (though nobody knows for sure) your operating system having scribbled all over the file as it was (ungracefully) taken down by the power outage. Howard has no control over that at all.

pfb
07-06-2004, 06:51 PM
There is a minor bug with non . decimal separators - there is a fix on the dfMon site (it only affects adding new clients)

I'm hoping to get the built-in FTP upload and points done in the next week or so (as well as a few minor bug fixes) - if anyone is still using it ;)

DPRGI-Federico83
07-06-2004, 07:11 PM
the built-in FTP is a great thing....

I have a nice idea ;)

pfb
07-06-2004, 07:17 PM
yeah - thanks for alerting me to the minor bug with the non . dp separator (must've overlooked that when I implemented the non . dp code)...

any suggestions are still welcome :)

DPRGI-Federico83
07-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by pfb
yeah - thanks for alerting me to the minor bug with the non . dp separator (must've overlooked that when I implemented the non . dp code)...

any suggestions are still welcome :)

;) :drums:

DPRGI-Federico83
07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
one minor thing...

in the output.html file could you insert a little legend of the simbols that shows the client status?

red = stopped

orange = paused

green = ok

pfb
07-07-2004, 04:00 PM
there should be ALT tags for those images in the HTML output (in fact, the filenames of the 3 images are used - Running, Stalled and Stopped...)

I'll look at adding a legend as well...

jfrye
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Just curious, can you add a linux client, or does it have to be running Samba in order to do so? Most of my folding machines are running fedora core 2.... :bang:

pfb
07-07-2004, 04:18 PM
dfMon will work with Samba - at the moment the executable is Windows only :( Haven't got a Linux box anymore to port to Kylix and test unfortunately (although should rectify that soon)...

jfrye
07-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I don't want to run your client in linux, I just want to be able to add linux clients. Too bad there isn't a way to get it to work using SSH2 with a username/pass for the machine instead of setting up samba...

Anyways, thanks for the info :thumbs:

Rodzilla
08-05-2004, 07:59 PM
remote monitoring... bring it on!!!!!!

pfb
08-07-2004, 01:19 PM
currently working on improving the interface - which will make it easier to control what columns are shown, allow for sorting and also in-place editing...:

http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/new_ui.png

I am still testing the UI - I may release it in the next few days for wider testing but hope to include some new columns as well...

Rodzilla
08-07-2004, 07:22 PM
:O you rock man! That looks slick!

marica69
08-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I have one of my machines on here that always says "stalled" with no icon. First, there is the broken link or icon missing or whatever, and second, there is the issue with the machine always being stalled. It is slow (450Mhz) but the page soes show it counting up on its generations, it is just s-l-o-w :)

There is always the possability of user error but I just wanted to report what I saw.

Donny

pfb
08-08-2004, 04:34 PM
for the icon, have you got a Stalled.png file in the same directory as the HTML output? If not, download http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/Stalled.png

as for the stalled issue - have you tried changing the Stalled period under the Settings menu? It is defaulted to 10 minutes but try something like 30 minutes (max is 60 minutes)...

marica69
08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
The icon was not there. Apparently it did not come down with the download package. I think I pulled the whole package even though I will probably never have time to really play in the code. :)

I have chnaged the stall setting up to 30 as per your reccomendation, however, this machine went into stall as soon as it was installed and has remained there since ( a period of about 9 hours even thoug it has crunched and uploaded a couple of gens. (It does one about every hour or so). Will let you know what I see with the longer setting.

Thanks,
Donny

pfb
08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by marica69
The icon was not there. Apparently it did not come down with the download package. I think I pulled the whole package even though I will probably never have time to really play in the code. :)

I have chnaged the stall setting up to 30 as per your reccomendation, however, this machine went into stall as soon as it was installed and has remained there since ( a period of about 9 hours even thoug it has crunched and uploaded a couple of gens. (It does one about every hour or so). Will let you know what I see with the longer setting.

Thanks,
Donny

just check the package and stalled.png wasn't in it...just changed that (must've been from when the old web server went down a few weeks back)

the other thing to check for stalled is the date/time on the PC you're monitoring and the PC dfMon is running on - what is the date/time stamp on the progress.txt file on the monitored PC?

marica69
08-08-2004, 10:21 PM
The time was off on the affected machine by 32 minutes. I suspect that if I had made the stall timer longer than that it would have worked. As soon as I reset the time, the stalled notice went to working.

This software is really nice. I can now tell what is going on at a glance instead of going to each machine. Congrats on a nice piece of code.

Thanks,
Donny

pfb
08-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by marica69
The time was off on the affected machine by 32 minutes. I suspect that if I had made the stall timer longer than that it would have worked. As soon as I reset the time, the stalled notice went to working.

This software is really nice. I can now tell what is going on at a glance instead of going to each machine. Congrats on a nice piece of code.

Thanks,
Donny

glad it's sorted :)

marica69
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi, I may have found another small nit within your program? Apparently, the time duration does not reset if the client goes from iteration zero directly to another iteration zero. This happened on one of my slow machines and the time actually appears be about a day longer than this protein has been running even though it did switch over to the new protein (showing the 98)

Not a big deal, I just always hated it when my code had this kind of thing though (but I am sortof a perfectionist when it comes to my own stuff :)

pfb
08-11-2004, 01:49 PM
you are correct - it won't reset if it goes from gen 0 to gen 0 (at the moment)...

/edit - should be one of the things I'll be fixing, but it may never be perfect (although it will monitor the current structures done and the protein size and use that to work out if it needs to reset - the only downside is if an update doesn't change protein size)...

pfb
09-02-2004, 09:22 PM
in light of the news, no more work will be done on dfMon now - but I will resurrect it when DF comes back :)

Rodzilla
09-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work pfb! I look forward to seeing you again!:cheers: :thumbs: