PDA

View Full Version : dfGUI for Linux v3.2 released!

bwkaz
10-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Well, I finally got my act together. :D

Updates from v3.0.99:

Graphs don't zoom back out on a refresh if you're zoomed in. This eliminates the need for prev page / next page buttons, because the same functionality is available with the graph zooming and scrollbars.
Re-added "AutoStop on Battery", "AutoStop on Close", and "Write Bench file every Refresh" functionality -- they got lost when I rewrote the app in C with Gtk.
Added a new tab -- Memory -- that shows client memory usage and the number of DF threads and processes currently running (according to /bin/pidof).
Got up to speed on Jeff's v3.2-for-Windows feature list, including reset buttons, dfGUI.stop file support, and "Total Time" display. No changes related to DF service installs, though -- it never supported them. :D
Client has had multi-language support for a while (through GNU gettext), I just don't have any translations. Details in a minute.
Autosaving graphs now works. IB, you're right, I needed to start my own thread. This is it. :p

Source (and one precompiled binary, which probably only works on gcc 3.2 + glibc 2.2 systems) is available at the same location as before, http://kadzban.is-a-geek.net/dfGUI-linux.

As far as translations go: I need some. ;) If you'd be interested in translating dfGUI for Linux, grab the source package and pull the file po/dfGUI.pot out of it. Edit this file (that process will be explained shortly) and rename it to LL_CC.po, where LL is the two-letter language code of whatever language you're translating to, and CC is the two-letter country code for wherever this language is spoken. For example, French would be fr_FR.po, Portuguese in Portugal would be pt_PT.po (I think), and Portuguese in Brazil would be pt_BR.po. Send this .po file back to me, through either a PM with a link, or an email with an attachment (a suitable address would be bryan@kadzban.is-a-geek.net).

Now for how to edit the file. First, remove the line near the beginning that looks like this:

#,fuzzy This is a line that tells gettext that the translations in this file aren't necessarily right, I think. Then, edit the following fields in the header section:

PO-Revision-Date
Last-Translator
Content-Type

Replace stuff in ALL CAPS with your information (your name, email, or whatever, the character set of the translated file (utf-8 is probably safe), the current date and timezone, and whatever else). Change "Language-Team" to "None", unless you actually are a member of one of the GNU i18n teams, in which case you wouldn't be reading this because you already know how gettext works, better than I do. ;)

Anyway, the rest of the file has in it a bunch of "msgid" lines, each with an English message on it. The comments above these lines show where in the source each message is used, if you need clarification on the purpose of the message. After the "msgid" line, there's a "msgstr" line with a couple of quotes. Put the translated string between the quotes. If the translation is the same as the source (e.g., for the string "dfGUI"), then put the source string on the msgstr line. Leaving msgstr blank means that no translation exists (in which case, gettext will use the English version, I think).

If you want to test a compile, you'll need GNU gettext installed. (These instructions will assume you have already compiled dfGUI once.) Put your LL_CC.po file in the po/ subdirectory of the dfGUI source tree, and edit the LINGUAS file that's already there (if it's not there, create one). Put LL_CC in it (replacing LL and CC, of course). If the file already exists, then various LL_CC's should be separated by whitespace. Run make distclean inside the po/ directory, and then back up one level (to the dfGUI-3.2 directory) and run ./config.status to regenerate po/Makefile. Go into the po directory and do a make to see if your .po file gets accepted by msgfmt.

You can also rebuild the entire package, if you want. Run make install afterward, to install the .gmo file, and then run it.

Otherwise, if you just want me to test the .po file out, I can do that too.

Last of all, thanks to anyone that decides they want to undertake this! :)

IronBits
10-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Nice work! :thumbs:

Digital Parasite
10-26-2003, 06:43 AM
Cool, I will update my web site too.

Dyyryath
10-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Very nice, Brian! I've been waiting patiently for this. :D

I do have one suggestion that doesn't matter so much on the Windows side, but would be nice for Linux: an option to use dynamic information in the titlebar. You could use 'placeholders' like we use for string formatting & so forth (i.e. %g for the percentage of the current generation completed). This way, when I shade the app & only the titlebar shows, I can still tell at a glance how it's doing.

Extend this with X's inherent network abilities, and I can have a stacked set of rolled up windows on my desktop from every box in the house. ;)

bwkaz
10-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Oooh, that is a good idea.

I'll put that next on the list (it'll go right after holding the tail of error.log in a string and putting it into a textview). Thanks!

:D