PDA

View Full Version : Blackout 2003...would you have been ready?

Moogie
11-04-2003, 08:53 PM
(And don't say it couldn't happen to you!)<br><br>Would you be able to keep crunching?<br><br> <table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;">Blackout 2003<br>Massive Outage Highlights Need for Emergency Power<br><br>Last month’s blackout — which downed major cities in the Northeast, Midwest, and Canada — shows how vulnerable the modern-day organization can be to unexpected disruption. <br></td></tr></table><br><br>For the full story, look <a href="http://www.contingencyplanning.com/PastIssues/sepoct2003/1.asp"> HERE.</a>

Paratima
11-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Hah! My company's got "intelligent design". No power, bye-bye! :rolleyes:

We've all got individual UPS's at our desks, so we could shut down gracefully, assuming we were there when the juice went out. Otherwise, crash city, which in fact happened a couple of weekends ago. Much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of corporate teeth on Monday morn.

Two or three of us have actual keys, so we could bypass the electronic locks & get in & out. (Is this what defines a "key employee"?:scratch: ) But no A/C, no workee! It's HOT down here!! And the IBM RISC systems that are our backbone really like cool.

We ARE distributed to the effect that we could still do customer service (at home), if the phones are working. Otherwise, too bad. It's a knotty problem that I helped do a study on last year. Conclusion? Some customers around the country might be in for tough times till we got restored.

Chinasaur
11-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Cable would have been out as well and I don't have regular phone line, so it's moot if I have UPS or no. No UPS lasts that long :)

Does it? 5-24 hours? That would be like FAA grade UPS...

I could go pull the Mr Fusion off the Delorean but....

Paratima
11-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
I could go pull the Mr Fusion off the Delorean but.... :rotfl:

QIbHom
11-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Gee, and I thought it was enough that I had drinking water stored, a camp stove with fuel, food that doesn't need to be refrigerated, lots of books and lots of blankets (enough food and water for at least 2 weeks). Now you tell me I have to crunch, too? I just can't handle the stress of modern life, I guess... <g>

And I thought I only was missing heat for the house if it happened in the winter <sigh>.

Actually, the thing that ticked me off the most about the blackout was that it was too hazy to stargaze. I was looking forward to major sky watching. At least I had a great view of tonight's lunar eclipse, even if it was a tad nippy.