PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Mandrake 9.1 to 9.2 With URPMI

Dyyryath
11-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Since we seem to be doing Mandrake tips lately, here's one for you guys with broadband: an easy, in place upgrade to the latest version.

Here's the steps:

If you're running X, switch to the command line by hitting CTRL-ALT-F1. Login as root (or as a regular user & su to root if you have a good security level), then type 'init 3' at the command line.
Now we need to remove the old sources from urpmi's configuration. Do this by typing 'urpmi.removemedia -a' at the command line. Once that's done, we'll add the new 9.2 sources. You can use this site (http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/) to come up with mirrors close to you, or use the ones I like if you're in the US. Type the following three lines at the command line, one at a time:
urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz
Now that we have new sources to pull from, we're going to update the actual urpmi application first, to help insure that we don't have any problems. Do this by typing: 'urpmi urpmi' at the command line. You'll see quite a few packages listed. These are urpmi's dependencies and it's OK to update them; go ahead and do so. If you see errors about missing GPG keys, that's OK, too.
Next comes the bulk of the update. Type 'urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto' and let her rip. This should update everything else on the system (with one exception which we will cover momentarily). Now would be a good time to go get a sandwich or something, this will take awhile.
Once that's done, you may or may not have a problem with perl. Currently, there is a problem with the perl base RPM which gets downloaded and it fails to install. This also keeps any of the packages relying on the perl upgrade from installing properly. You can fix this by grabbing the perl RPM in question manually and placing it in the RPM cache. To determine whether you had a problem, type 'urpmi --auto-select' at the command line. If you have a list of things that still need to be installed, look at the top of the list and note the exact name of the perl base module (and then cancel that command, it won't work until we fix that perl RPM). It will probably be 'perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk' but that will change over time. Go to this site (http://rpmfind.net) and do a search for perl. You'll get a list of perl RPMs from various distributions. Pick the one from Mandrake with the exact same name and download it. Make sure you get the i586 RPM (binary) and not the source RPM. Then copy it to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms. Once you've done that, simply execute 'urpmi --auto-select' and let it go. It should finish upgrading everything.
Finally, if you'd like to upgrade to the latest kernel, type 'urpmi kernel' at the command line. It will offer you a list of choices. Pick the one you want, and urpmi will install it, modify your lilo config and finish up.
You're finished. You should now be able to reboot into a shiny new Mandrake 9.2 install, with all of your old configurations & software intact.

Now, keep in mind that things can go wrong, so if you want to follow these instructions, make sure you backup things that are important to you first. You're doing that regularly anyway, right?

Having said that, I've upgraded everything from crunching & compilation nodes at my house to production servers at work like this. In fact, I recently upgraded one of the mail servers at work like this without ever going to the office. The entire update was done remotely via ssh without a hitch. Even the reboot to load the new kernel was painless. :thumbs:

If anyone has questions, about this, feel free to ask them here. :cool:

IronBits
11-08-2003, 02:16 PM
It will offer you a list of choices. Pick the one you want, and urpmi will install it, modify your lilo config and finish up.
Choices? choices for a kernal? :scared:
What would I pick over for over here? :confused:

We have the 'secure' server you did for me running the PXE nodes (just skip the updates?)

We have the stats server with a full install of Mandrake 9.1 with some extra packages installed as required or needed to support the stats systems.
:notworthy

Dyyryath
11-08-2003, 02:31 PM
You don't have to upgrade, the 9.1 kernel would work fine. If you do want to change...I don't remember the choices that urpmi gives you for 9.2. Post them and I'll try to offer a suggestion.

pfb
11-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info :cheers: It took over an hour to do but it's all up-to-date (didn't do any kernel update) - had fun with the Perl bit (seems the copy that gets downloaded is corrupt) as the rpmfind.net site didn't have the right copy when I looked but a few deft Googles and I had it...

Had a slight shock when I rebooted and got a different Mandrake start-up screen - but it seemed to boot a bit faster (~5 seconds) than 9.1 so happy there :)

Once again, :notworthy for the instructions - very easy to follow :)

IronBits
11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
Here's the steps: (re-done to eliminate the URL fubar)
Type:

init 3

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk.i586.rpm

Copy it to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms.

urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

Done. :)

IronBits
11-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Ok, here we go again :bang:

Since upgrading to 9.2 I've lost a very important tool, and that is, copy/paste in a command window (now called Xterm) and while using vi. :swear:

In fact, how do I get my old desktop back the way it was?
I loved my old default KDE Desktop that was in 9.1.

How do I get it back?

Chinasaur
11-11-2003, 09:53 AM
IB,

In terminal mode and vi, copy and paste is sometimes as simple as highlighting what you want, and it copies automatically. Paste is often bound to the middle mouse button.

Hope you get it sorted.

IronBits
11-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Thanks! That works :) :thumbs:

IronBits
11-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
You don't have to upgrade, the 9.1 kernel would work fine. If you do want to change...I don't remember the choices that urpmi gives you for 9.2. Post them and I'll try to offer a suggestion.
This is for stats.Free-DC.org (full Mandrake 9.1 install upgraded to 9.2)
Has 768mb DDR ram, nforce2 chipset, AMD XP2400, IDE...
urpmi kernel
One of the following packages is needed:
1- kernel-p3-smp-64GB-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
2- kernel-secure-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
3- kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
4- kernel-enterprise-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
5- kernel-smp-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
6- kernel-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586
7- kernel-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
8- kernel-enterprise-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
9- kernel-i686-up-4GB-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
10- kernel-p3-smp-64GB-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
11- kernel-secure-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
12- kernel-smp-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586
13- kernel2.4-marcelo-2.4.22-1mdk.i586
14- kernel-multimedia-2.4.22.10mm.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586
15- kernel-multimedia-smp-2.4.22.10mm.2mdk-1-1mdk.i586
16- kernel-tmb-2.4.22.12.tmb.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586
17- kernel-tmb-enterprise-2.4.22.12.tmb.1mdk-1-1mdk.i586
What is your choice? (1-17)

Dyyryath
11-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Number 2 would probably be a good choice.

GHOST
11-12-2003, 06:15 PM
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/perl-5.8.1-0.RC4.3mdk.i586.rpm

Copy it to /var/cache/urpmi/rpms.

:confused: what is it i am suppossed to do here? copy a package, an address?

I have done the upgrade already to 3 machines, but I would still like to know what you meant here.

went ok except one machine the software intaller does not work-but it is folding.

i had the 3 cd files from the bittorrent download but they did not work for me. even downloaded it a second time and burned on different brand cd. no go. machines kept asking for a disc, didn't see it, when i tried to install.:bang:

Dyyryath
11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
The RPM that comes from the mirrors during the automated portion of the install is corrupt. The you've copied is to a good version of the same file. Download it (it's an RPM file) to someplace on your machine. Then, copy it to the directory /var/cache/urpmi/rpms. Then, rerun the 'urpmi --auto-select' command at the console.

Basically, you've replaced the corrupt version it had downloaded automatically with a good version you got manually.

Did that answer your question?

GHOST
11-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Did that answer your question?

yep.

thanks, Dyy

rshepard
11-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Question:
Can this whole update process be run from a terminal session in X, or is the drop to init 3 required?

Dyyryath
11-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Theoretically, yes, you should be able to do it from X. I just use 3 out of caution.

GHOST
11-13-2003, 01:03 PM
I ran it in x the first time and it stopped at step 500 something. So the next time I used x so I could paste commands in terminal until I got to the urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto command. I went to init 3 to execute urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto.

rshepard
11-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Well, it more or less worked :rolleyes:
I should have remebered that I had the Texstar release of KDE though; it chewed up part of that (desktop icons "evaporated", e.g.) Ended up uninstalling KDE and then re-installing it with the new sources. All good now- thanks for the help. :thumbs: