PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a really large t-shirt.

MrTRS
11-13-2003, 12:43 PM
I went to where I bought the last one. Distributed.net and was directed to cafepress.com where I looked around for one that had to do with distributed computing. But no 4 xl's to be had.

So I thought, why don't we get a cafepress.com account and have them do up some shirts with the Free-DC web page logo? Or something else having to do with Free-DC?

The way Cafepress works is that they do everything and keep the base price and the account holder desides how much markup to charge if any.

What do you think? Shirts and mugs anyone?

The Free-DC logo or start over?

How about a slogan to go with that?

Ray

magnav0x
11-13-2003, 01:25 PM
I like the idea :thumbs:

Darkness Productions
11-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Me too. I'd probably buy a travel mug or something...

FoBoT
11-13-2003, 02:06 PM
maybe Dyyryath could make a design or something, the little avatars he makes are purty cool

magnav0x
11-13-2003, 02:40 PM
A travel mug for the coffee when doing some stats stuff would be nice :D

MrTRS
11-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Dyyryath,

Are you up for it?

A while back there was a thread about updateing the web site.
Maybe you could use some of those ideas in a logo for a t-shirt/mug.

How could we use some of the avatars in the design?
We couldn't use everybodys could we? How many have you designed?

And how about a slogan for the other side of the t-shirt/mug?

Free-DC
It's a lifestyle thing!

Free-DC
The one with the most CPU's wins!

Free-DC
Together, we can take over the world!

Not great but you get the idea.

Ray

Dyyryath
11-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Hmmm...not a bad idea. I could certainly do some graphics. I'm working on a new logo for the new site design (which will be available for comment in the next week or two), anyway. Why don't we see how many ideas we can get in this thread, and then I'll take them and see what I can make of it?

MrTRS
11-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Cool!

How about making the letters "Free-DC" out of avatars.
You know, like a kids building blocks.

Ray

PY 222
11-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Excellent idea man!

I would definitely buy a t-shirt or two with the Free-DC logo on it.

How about mousepads? :mouserun:

GHOST
11-15-2003, 01:56 AM
I'd buy a few. Good advertising too.

Supp
11-21-2003, 05:43 PM
That would be just Great!!

...and also a way to force several my relatives to do DC (you want that mug? Install DF :D - just kidding)

QIbHom
11-21-2003, 10:56 PM
Great idea. I have a few comments, though.

First off, I've heard from folks not in the US that Cafepress can't handle non-US orders. The way we handled this in the Libranet community was for US folks to buy stuff for non-US residents, and trade them for something of roughly equal value from wherever the other person was.

Secondly off, Cafepress only has white t-shirts, I think. Their other options are pretty limited. Now, I think I still own a white t-shirt or two, but I really prefer black. It would be a lot more work to take orders, then do occasional runs at a local t-shirt place and mail the puppies out, but I would be willing to pay more.

Alternately, if someone has the right kind of printer, someone could do a cool design on a sticker, with text that says something like, "This computer borged by Foo for Free-DC".

Dyyryath
11-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I don't wear white t-shirts either. It'd have to be black. Perhaps we can offer another option in addition to cafepress...

Dyyryath
11-22-2003, 02:17 AM
Did a little looking at cafepress.com. It appears that you are limited to white or grey t-shirts. They do have black hats, though. I can forsee a black hat with a fancy new Free-DC logo on it in my future. Hell, I might have to get a mousepad or two as well since I always have machines laying around that could just use a basic pad (rather than my favorite mousing surface (http://www.icemat.com/theicemat.asp)).

Here's what they say about international orders:

We accept most international accounts and orders. You can now set up a store from almost anywhere, and your customers can order from all over the world.

Please understand, though, that we can only deal with U.S currency at this time, so the commission check will be drawn from a U.S bank. The conversion of funds will be up to you.
This sounds promising, though I guess we'll have to try it and find out...

wirthi
11-22-2003, 03:34 AM
Cafepress seems to deliver worldwide as Dyyryath said.

Only two negatives:

International delivery charge is $7 for the first and $4 for additional items delivered. Makes it damn expensive.

You can only pay per credit card (I got none, not very common here) or per mailing the money to cafepress.

Ah, yes, there might be customs and vet to be paid.

Besides that I really like the idea of having a free-dc T-shirt.

Greets,
Wirthi

Supp
11-22-2003, 08:05 AM
CafePress may be little more expensive than usual, but at least delivers worldwide - and $7 isn't that much, I paid over $120 once for 10 books...:swear: