PDA

View Full Version : problem with java -server

bennyska
11-19-2003, 02:18 PM
i downloaded the java pack (windows), and installed it. i didn't have a folder named server, nor a jvm.dll for it. however, i did have a client folder, which contained a jvm.dll, so i made a new folder named server and pasted that in (that was the only jvm.dll my computer had on it). then it seemed like my results got cut in half (generally a generation every 4 minutes or less, and now it's over six minutes. so then i decided to change it back, and now it's going even slower. any ideas? thanks.

prokaryote
11-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi bennyska,

There are two versions of the java virtual machine dll. The one for the server is about 50% larger in size than the one from the client folder. You can install the SDK on one machine and copy that jvm.dll to other folders/machines (it's what I did with my farm).

So far, I haven't had any problems with this method and the production increase has kept.

safemode
11-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Yes, as i mentioned the windows versions of java all require you download the sdk to get the server jvm. I have no idae why they make you download the sdk to get the server jvm when in unix it comes along with the runtime environment. If sun wasn't so anal it probably would be pretty convenient to mirror just the jvm.dll somewhere so people can fix their broken windows jre installs.

Stephen_B
11-20-2003, 10:27 AM
If you download the sdk for windows, do you still need to pass the "-server" flag?

I'm getting this error:

D:\Data\csb046\misc\distributed_ga2>"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\java" -DsocksProxyHost=myproxy -Djava.securit
y.policy=java.policy -server -jar ITClient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong stephen_boulet2 -i 30 -c 60 my@email
Error: no `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

Stephen

prokaryote
11-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi Stephen_B,

Bear with me on this, just trying to cover all of the bases. It seems that your machine can't find the server jvm.dll at "C:\program files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\server".

Okay, you downloaded and installed the sdk for windows. This usually installs to the folder "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02"

What that means is that the jvm.dll that you need is located at "C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"

Copy that jvm.dll to "C:\program files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin\server"

Usually, when you install the JRE, there is no "server" folder, so you have to create it. The easiest way I can think of is to just drag the SDK server folder down to the "C:\program files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin" folder.

Check your Environment Variables to make sure that "C:\program files\Java\j2re1.4.2_02\bin" is part of the Path. This should be okay due to the JRE install.

reboot

try again.

Let me know if this helps.

prok

Stephen_B
11-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks. I must be brain dead; the path to the java executable was wrong.

Unfortunately, my main problem is that I have been unable to find a way to pass in my username and password to the proxy server.

For grins, I tried appending -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx to the command, but no luck.

Other projects like folding@home are able to pass this info to proxy servers.

bennyska
11-20-2003, 01:41 PM
okay, i got this taken care of, and now it's about 2:45 per generation. is that normal? how fast do other people run?

Stephen_B
11-20-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm running at a little over a minute per generation (Gentoo linux with java 1.4.2) and an Athlon 2700+.

prokaryote
11-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Sounds reasonable. Depends on the processor speed/type and the circuit.

I've got systems running from about 3.5-4.0 minutes down to ~55 seconds (PIII at 650 MHz to AMD XP at 2318 MHz).

prokaryote
11-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stephen_B
Thanks. I must be brain dead; the path to the java executable was wrong.

Unfortunately, my main problem is that I have been unable to find a way to pass in my username and password to the proxy server.

For grins, I tried appending -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx to the command, but no luck.

Other projects like folding@home are able to pass this info to proxy servers.

Hi Stephen_B,

Sorry, I can't help with that aspect as I know less than nothing about how that stuff works. Miguel could probably help and you could post the question in some of the other forums found in Free-DC. We've got a bunch of experts there.