PDA

View Full Version : Two machines + 1 island name?

magnav0x
12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
I was curious what problems would arise from having two machines both using the same island name? Would this taint the island and compeltely defeat the purpose of this project? Or would it actualy benefit the island?

rshepard
12-04-2003, 01:06 PM
From the "how to get started thread"

2b. What happens to the stats if one were to give say more than one
island the same name? Is this recommended or not? Response per Miguel;
"Stats will be skewed, could be in favour or against. Not recommended."

magnav0x
12-04-2003, 01:12 PM
thanks rshepard, apparently I missed that :D
I was asking because it was showing me as the top person for daily circuits evaluated and I figured, though good, that it probably means I'm getting too many failures. I don't realy understand the project all too well though, so that has a lot to do with it as well :cool:

Stephen_B
12-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Nice to see fellow Gentoo enthusiast on board.

With the island network opology it really makes more sense to have each CPU be its own island. I understand from Miguel's past posts that genetic material is shared between neighboring islands every 30-60 minutes or so, somewhat more frequently than happens in the Galapagos. ;)

You can use the same email for different islands, but so far there haven't been stats posted by email address.

Make sure you launch the client with the "-server" flag -- goes much faster.

Now if the client would only be able to pass a username and password to a http proxy I could throw two more fast islands up ...

Stephen

magnav0x
12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Well I went ahead and gave the three machines seperate names:
Free-DC_Hydra_Central_Island_1 (Athalon XP 1800)
Free-DC_Hydra_Central_Island_2 (P4 1.6)
Goonie (Xbox running Gentoo)

Just my luck Goonie landed the #20 spot for Current best individual ranking :D