PDA

View Full Version : Project Cares and Woes

Paratima
12-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Looking over the list of folks who have run this project at one time or another, then quit, I wondered, "What's up?"

Now I think I know. It's been almost a week since I switched all my EON boxen over to "active" projects because there's no work to do here! The admins have left for holiday break and didn't fill the work jar. This project is obviously not very high priority for them.

Let's see: :scratch:
1. The client uses special ports instead of standard HTTP, so it won't run behind a corporate firewall.
2. The proxy settings in the .cfg file don't work, and in fact, get reset when you try to use them.
3. The work queue runs out at odd times, leaving machines idle. (Like the whole Christmas break!)
4. The project is "real-time" so it can't be no-netted. (Can't do anything about this one.)
5. The official stats database "loses" team affiliation at odd times.
6. The official forum is kaput and the admins evidently don't want to post here. (OK, ONE post!)
7. The EON website doesn't even have a "News" page so that crunchers could be kept informed.

I've been pimping to get folks to run this project, but no more. People, take your cycles where they will be appreciated. There are lots of distributed computing projects out there. Find one with more attentive admins.

FoBoT
12-24-2003, 06:34 PM
i left one P3-450 Mhz on it, but i can't tell what it is doing :|punch|:

Georgina
12-29-2003, 04:47 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I had come to some of the same conclusions as Paratima, but also noticed that there was a university of washington team (home of the admins), but there wasn't a single active member :eek:

You can see some stats here: (http://www.us-distributed.com/stats/eon/stats.html)

Included on the team was :Pokes: graeme, who posted the sticky at the top of this forum - also non-active.

I felt that if the administrators had no more interest in this project, and were not running their own PCs, why should I :bang:

cygnussphere
12-29-2003, 05:38 PM
I can't help but wonder if Barbara Hedges screwed this up too?:swear:

:tempted:

:evil:

:cheers:

Paratima
12-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by cygnussphere
I can't help but wonder if Barbara Hedges screwed this up too?:swear: :p Hah! I don't know if we can go quite THAT far.

It's now Monday evening and I see from the stats that some people are starting to pick up on it again. So if you want to run it, go ahead. Evidently, the work buffers have been refilled. And it IS an easy client to set up & run. I'm just gonna keep away until/unless I hear some VERY encouraging words from the management and maybe see evidence of good intentions.

Got some of my boxen shifted over to Find-A-Drug & I'm working on the rest. It'll be interesting just to see if we get some official commentary.

Fozzie
12-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Then I can whip your butt.

err

I mean you can help out the team.:thumbs:

Paratima
12-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey, Fozzmeister! Thanks for the offer, but I've promised myself that I'd help out Supp & Fobot & the boys & girls on this FAD thing for a while. Also, I kinda like it, 'cause it's really direct, applied science. I need a break from all that theoretical, basic research-type stuff.

Anyhow, give me a month or three to recuperate while finding drugs, then I'll come find wherever you are & teach you a little respect for your elders. :spank: